Jump rope/strength training

Options
I have always loved to Jump Rope but until recently hadn't used it as a way to work out. But after reading about all the benefits(whole body workout,strengthens heart, and burns calories) I decided to dust it out and give it a try. I had a blast! Then I figured I could blast even more calories by making my own interval workout. So here is what I did:

I picked a few of my favorite energetic songs and after jumping through one song I would stop and do 20 squats. Then I would jump rope to another song and do 20 crunches. I continued this workout through 5 songs doing a strength routine in between. It was a 15 minute workout that lead me sweating and I felt awesome!

Replies

• forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    wow. sounds like a good plan. I had no idea that jump rope counts as strength training in addition to cardio. What muscle groups does it target?
  • itsabbylove
    Options
    Most notably it develops the calves but it really works the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. It really helps define the lower body. But because keeping your balance in jumping rope is so important the muscles in the chest and back are getting a workout. And depending on how you hold the rope the forearms, shoulders, bi's, and tri's receive a workout.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    Most notably it develops the calves but it really works the quads, glutes, and hamstrings. It really helps define the lower body. But because keeping your balance in jumping rope is so important the muscles in the chest and back are getting a workout. And depending on how you hold the rope the forearms, shoulders, bi's, and tri's receive a workout.

Wow your right! I ended up buying a weighted jump rope for Christmas and WOW. It is such an incredible workout I dont know why I didnt think of it sooner! Thanks!
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    I just went in the basement and grabbed my old jump rope. I'm going to bust out a good workout tomorrow on it. :)
  • geekzoid
    Options
    Awesome workout plan!
    Yes! Jump Rope does help out a lot. :) You can actually burn more calories w/ Jump Rope than Running and/or Jogging.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Great!
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    I wish I can jump rope, everytime I try doing it I always end up tripping because of the rope lol. Besides my inability to jump rope, it sounds like a great overall body workout! :D
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    I just went in the basement and grabbed my old jump rope. I'm going to bust out a good workout tomorrow on it. :)

Haha, Awesome!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Boxers wouIdn't do it so often if it wasn't good for them
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    I wish I can jump rope, everytime I try doing it I always end up tripping because of the rope lol. Besides my inability to jump rope, it sounds like a great overall body workout! :D

I recently read up on some articles. They say the best thing is to just practice. It takes quite a bit of cordination to be able to do it consistantly. First try like 5 minutes, then 10, then 15, etc. In the end it does burn more calories than running. Best part is you can alternate from jumping to running, to skipping over the rope.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    Boxers wouIdn't do it so often if it wasn't good for them

True.
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    Ummmm totally stealing this workout! thanks for sharing :)
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope want to get a weighted one but for now I'm using my daughters with pigs on the handles
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Never could jump rope. I've tried a few times as an adult (I didn't manage to learn to swim until adulthood in spite of years of lessons, and I didn't learn to run until this year,) but so far . . . no luck. I just end up hurting myself.

Pam
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent workout.

However, strength training it is not. This is a cardio workout.

If anyone needs to increase the intensity of their skipping workout, try incorporating some double unders.