Fact or fiction? A women-only question...

Options
Growing up my mom had a set of "weighing rules". (Can you tell being overweight runs in the family?)
One was weigh in the morning, after peeing and with little clothes on, always. The second and MOST VITAL was disregard weighings around "the time of the month" cause it is ALWAYS more (and therefore you will get discouraged and said diet will be ruined).

Over time - I wonder if this actually true. Yes, I understand water-retention and bloating, etc. But does this go away after the first day or two or not? I can't really notice a pattern for myself cause it's too engrained to just not weigh around that time.
So, I'm curious what you lovely MFP peeps have to say!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't think any statement of this sort would be true for everyone. It is true for a lot of people but the only way to know for yourself is to weigh yourself and find out. It would take several months to see what the pattern is. Personally I tend to be a few pounds heavier but it would be different for everyone. And what's the point, really? If you skip a week of weighing yourself it isn't going to change anything.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 3-5 lbs during that TOM. I dont trully disregard the weight during that time. Just take note of it. But I also notice in the past, I lose a few extra pounds days before it starts and on the day of I gain the weight.

So I guess it really depends on the person.
  • flabwillbefab
    Options
    i agree to your mom's!!!!

i stay away from scale while TOM is here, if not, i get discouraged, and just think, well, its not a chips, and pop that gonna make a difference right now, so ho well,,,no,no,no,,,, i stay away from it, with the goal that on that next monday after my tom is over, ill step on that scale, and will see at least minus" 0.5 "or more,,,,
    and the thought of seing that minus .5, is giving me the will power to not dig in, and drink my water,,,,,
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of that. I weigh myself in the morning at the same time every day.
    There are two weeks of my cycle when I either gain weight or the scale stays the same (ovulation and my period) and two weeks when the scale goes down and my body is able to shed weight.
    I think it's different for every person. It's only by doing this for a few months that I see the pattern. I still get very frustrated during the bad weeks but I keep telling myself to stay the course and the general trend will be downward.
    It's not that you shouldn't weigh yourself during those times, but be prepared to not like what you see but to realize it is just hormonal. it might be good to weigh yourself to see your body's normal cycles.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I also weigh 1st thing in the morning right after peeing without any clothes on. I do weigh during my TOM but I don't get discouraged if I'm up a bit. I know it's water weight and will shed when TOM is done. There's about a 10 day period that my weight will fluctuate due to TOM and I don't stress over it, I take note and move on.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I also weigh 1st thing in the morning right after peeing without any clothes on. I do weigh during my TOM but I don't get discouraged if I'm up a bit. I know it's water weight and will shed when TOM is done.

^^ another vote for this. Have not gained due to TOM yet but dont usually lose on that week.
  • suzruns2
    suzruns2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are many things that affect the number on the scale, so that's why you should keep up with your measurements. A bowel movement may affect the scale as well as retaining extra water. I always weigh 2 lbs heavier during TOM. After eating a high sodium meal sometimes I retain water too. Keep recording your food intake and exercise!
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so good to know! Thank you so much, ladies!!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I gain about 6 pounds and 2 inches around my stomach the week before my period starts. The first day of the period my weight goes back down, and then over the week the inches go down as well.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh self.
    2. Poop.
    3. Weigh again.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the am after peeing, just before I get into the shower - so no clothes on!

And I usually am a little lighter during the TOM, because I ALWAYS get a really bad stomach ache the day I begin and get "cleaned out"! Sorry... but it's true.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 1 time every 2 or 3 weeks ( I was doing it every week) and I only do it on Thursday mornings when I wake up after I pee lol I don't know why I picked Thurs. but it works for me... I also weigh about 3-4 lbs more during TOM....