running with asthma

Options
Hi, I'm not necessarily new to this site - I have just never reached out to others. I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience/ advice for how to start running when you have asthma. I've tried this many times - I've gone on the treadmill and can't really run for more than 60 seconds (and that's a challenge!). I've opted to do 30 minute sessions alternating between one minute running and 3 minutes walking but I feel like I haven't made any progress but I really want to!!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :cry:

Replies

• Mkristinek
    Options
    Fast walks help! When I'm recovering from a cold or haven't run in a while and I'm worried about an attack, I like to go on what you would call a brisk walk a guess. I go fast enough to breathe pretty hard, but not pant like I do when I run. It helps me get back up to being able to run a mile at a time. I'm still having trouble being able to run more than a mile. My lungs can't take it! But I guess it takes time. And ALWAYS have that rescue! :) good luck!
  • nonconformist1
    nonconformist1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago I started running again after not having run in 10 years. I quit running about 12 years ago after having lung cancer and most of my left lung removed. I also have execise-induced asthma. I never thought I could run again, but I can. I ran a half-marathon and I've been able to do a 20 mile run. I'm not fast, but I am getting faster. I started out real slow, slower than I needed to go. When I could do a couple miles slowly I added a little more on. Now I seem to do better if I start out the first mile or two slow and make sure my breathing is good and build up the speed after that. I can do sprints now but I really need to pay attention to how my breathing is. Good luck and take it slow and build from there.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Take your medicine prior to exercise, to prevent an attack....start out slow....if you can only run for a minute, good for you. Do that for a week or 2 and then increase to 1.5 minutes. Do it again for a week or 2 and increase again. Also, try slowing your speed down a bit so you don't get so winded.

I am on advair to control my severe asthma....I run 5k's and 1/2 marathons. I run in cold weather or hot weather.....

You can do this...part of your breathlessness is just normal, out of shape, breathing...you can increase your indurance.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Take your medicine prior to exercise, to prevent an attack....start out slow....if you can only run for a minute, good for you. Do that for a week or 2 and then increase to 1.5 minutes. Do it again for a week or 2 and increase again. Also, try slowing your speed down a bit so you don't get so winded.

I am on advair to control my severe asthma....I run 5k's and 1/2 marathons. I run in cold weather or hot weather.....

You can do this...part of your breathlessness is just normal, out of shape, breathing...you can increase your indurance.

THIS!! ^^
    taking a puff of your inhaler before you get on the treadmill... I started out that way and now Im able to run 40 mins without having to take it first! The more you challenge your lungs the stronger they will become. I still have asthma but I cant remember the last time I had to use it before a workout!
    Good luck!
  • bmayes
    bmayes Posts: 55
    Options

<<She's absolutely correct! I would add to this to visit your doctor first before starting your workout routine and discuss your concerns. Your doctor will certainly be in favor of you wanting to run and exercise and should be able to either put you on a controller (daily) if needed or you will need to take your inhaler before working out. I have exercise induced asthma and I also run. I can run with or without it, but it certainly helps me more when I take it. Remember that you can do anything anyone else can do (except scuba diving :) Many Olympic athletes have asthma!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have asthma too and running is a challenge sometimes, usually its worse when it's cold or dry outside. I started out slow, jogging as far as I could then power walked until I could breath again, then jogged some more. I used to be able to do only small sprints but now I can do almost a half mile without stopping. My goal is to run a full mile without stopping and I'm slowly building up to this.

For some reason running is the hardest exercise for me, I can do the elliptical machine for an hour without breathing problems but running for 15 minutes kills me.

WebMD has a great article about exercising with asthma, it's worth a read:
    http://www.webmd.com/asthma/guide/exercising-asthma
  • Droppinelbees
    Droppinelbees Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your strong and determined... take in all this advice and you'll be more than good. Don't be hard headed like your brother and try to push past your limits. With Asthma you HAVE to start slow, be consistent, and increase gradually. P said you have a track near you guys... that's a .25 miles. Try and use that as a guide and reference and you'll see firsthand your improvements. Maybe running a quarter of that quarter mile track and brisk walking the remaining 3/4's could be a start? If you did that you would have a combined workout of: 1 mile broken down into 3/4 briskly walked and a 1/4 mile jogged. Adjust as necessary. You know your body and what you can handle... if you feel you can make a full jog around the track- go for it, if you feel you can only go half way do that- just don't ignore your body's signals. Oh, as another reference, a respectable average time to go around the track is 2 minutes as an average mile is 8 minute per mile. Use that as a reference as well to time yourself and distance and girl it will all come together as long as you listen and respect your body and be consistent.

I love you and am proud of you
  • gigiscoolparents
    Options
    ;) Thanks bro... that's awesome info that I will def use. I am def going to start going to the track - in April (we don't have that Cali weather out here!). Thanks a bunch - love you too!
  • gigiscoolparents
    Options
    I really do appreciate all of these replies so much - thank you all for taking the time to give some input. I am so very inspired hearing your stories - and will make sure I get this done, no matter how hard it is! I honestly started to think it was impossible to run with asthma but now I know it's not. I will use your guidance to reach my goal. Thanks a bunch!!! :flowerforyou: