New and not sure I can do this!

Options
Hi! I'm 40 and new to this site. I'm looking to change my lifestyle for the new year and hopefully lose a LOT of weight! Right now I am gung ho but I'm sure I will be needing some support and motivation soon so I hope to make lots of friends on here.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its easy!
    Change everything about you nutrition wise and youll get it!

I'm Dan and if you need a friend please add me!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I take one day at a time, but I always have a goal out there. And my goals are very specific, but not directly related to weight loss or fitness levels, although I'll get both of those by achieving the goals. Past goals included a 1/2 marathon & Olympic distance triathlon. Now I'm thinking about a 1/2 Ironman.

Someone once told me, "You are the only one that know what it takes for you, so you need to figure it out." And the only way to do that is to try lots of things, and keep trying new things. Some things only work for a while and some things don't work at all, but others (and some of them may surprise you) are things that stick to you like Ambrosia Honey (hmmmm...... honey.... doh! sorry got a bit distracted). I never in a million years thought I'd be a runner (I was seriously anti-running a few years ago), but here I am now, running all the time.

I like this quote, too: "Map out your future - but do it in pencil." - Bon Jovi (who is apparently NOT dead)
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first step in the right direction! This is a great place to be. Just stick with it and you will succeed!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It really is easy. To start off set your goals to lose 1 lb a week, not more, at least until you adjust to the calories. My other suggestion is to start exercising, even if it's walking 15 minutes a day. You can do it! My husband just joined and lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks with his goal at 0.5lb per week! Good luck! And the more friends the better, so add me if you want :)
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It is easy well I think it is and if I can do it anyone can. I've been here since Feb and I'm still going.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, first steps are the hardest, soon you'll be running down the road to a new you. Add me as a friend if you like, I will be there to cheer you on or support you on those inevitable days when you are not at your most satisfied with your progress.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Support is something you'll never lack if you visit this site regularly to log. I was skeptical at first. I am outgoing, but never seem to be the blogger or forum type. What is different about this site is that everyone (even the ones who hit their goals) needs some additional motivation and support when they hit a wall. I have found some great friends already (fairly new to this site as well) and have introduced 10 friends to this site. They all like it as much as i do! Good luck and add me! We will do it together.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    the fact that you said that I think you can....hang in there's it's hard...
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started with a dietician/nutritionist who set my calorie intake and my exercise goals. I continue to see her monthly and she is always available by phone when I have questions. My insurance covers the cost, so I'm just paying a co-pay.

Then I joined the YMCA and started with water aerobics because of knee surgery.

Basically take it one day at a time and surround yourself with friends who will help motivate, inspire and answer questions. If you would like to add me as a friend, feel free to do so. You can read my profile and/or blogs and see if you think I would be a help to you.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    You can do it if I can. Take it one step at a time. Start by adjusting your calories. When you realize you are having difficulty with that, then its time to adjust your diet( the types of foods you are eating).
    Then once you are getting the hang of that, start getting in to a regular exercise regimen.

But most of all, make friends here and use the support system MFP is famous for. We are all here to help each other.
    Please feel free to add me.
  • charmcl
    Options
    I just started too, feel free to add me! :)
  • deedee1508
    deedee1508 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a new starter - again - and am already finding the advice and support on here really helpful and motivating. You can definitely do it, take it a day at a time, and set yourself little targets.
    Happy for you to add me as a friend.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Hi mate,

A few things

you-can-do-it.jpg

And you are in the right place! Its honestly an awesome network here with both bad and good advice. You will soon know what the good advice is, there are some extreme nutrition nuts on here and they are always willing to help!

Good luck
  • racerZ28
    Options
    You CAN do it! Log in every day to keep the momentum going. I love the app for Blackberry. Logging in is the key for me....has become part of my routine each morning & evening. :drinker:
  • vman235161
    Options
    Yeah, I hear that! I still do not know if I can do it, but I figure that I am tired of being fat and I want to be like the gentleman who now runs and does triathalon. Sometimes its easier to know what you do not want than to know how do it. If I can keep with this program (it has already really opened my eyes in terms of nutrition) I think I can do it.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You're really starting off on the right foot with joining this site. I've been on here since October and it's the best decision I made! What's so fabulous is that there are so many people on here with different backgrounds, ideas, plans, techniques, etc...but we ALL have a commonality...the goal to lose weight and become healthier! I love getting lots of different advice for a issue I'm having or the LOADS of support when I'm losing my grip. You can NEVER have too much support! Feel free to add me as a friend! Jen
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi there,I'm Holly and i,m 41 you just need to take it one day at a time. it,s taken me a long time to lose 8 lbs because i would go up and down but now i;m taking this seriously and in the last few weeks is where i lost 4 lbs . if you like you can add me always need encouragement and friends to keep going.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You are starting out right by wanting to change your lifestyle not go on a diet. I choose "life over food" and have lost 170 lbs (my ticker reflects my new start to lose the 15 pounds I've regained since Oct). I eat "healthy", not low calorie or low fat. I made changes to my "lifestyle", I didn't go on a diet. I go to the health club, not the gym. Little things but they make a difference to me. Set small goals for each...they don't have to be dramatic or associated with pounds. Some examples of goals I use...

This week I will log everything I eat.
    I will go to the health club 5 times this week.
    I will do 180 minutes of cardio this week.

Its as much attitude as anything. If you think you can, there isn't much that can stop you! Good luck!
  • Rayman233
    Rayman233 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sure you can . I've been here since November 2nd and have lost 18 lbs so far. Just eat the healthy foods and exersize. And don't totally deprive yourself of goodies occasionally!