I AM TIRED OF CHICKEN!

Options
Hello everybody. I'm doing really good with my diet and exercise (I'm down 29 lbs) but the majority of my recipes call for chicken. Not only am I tired of this but my 4 yr old son told me today when I served up some homemade chicken nuggets (that he usually loves), "No more chicken mommy." It turned out that my whole family is tired of chicken. Anybody know of any other healthy meat options that's not fish. We don't like fish either. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Juggalette0327
    Options
    Hello everybody. I'm doing really good with my diet and exercise (I'm down 29 lbs) but the majority of my recipes call for chicken. Not only am I tired of this but my 4 yr old son told me today when I served up some homemade chicken nuggets (that he usually loves), "No more chicken mommy." It turned out that my whole family is tired of chicken. Anybody know of any other healthy meat options that's not fish. We don't like fish either. Thanks in advance.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Turkey is great in tacos,spaghetti ,chili almost anything you would use hamburger in. I buy 96/4 ground beef and make burgers. We eat steak once a week. I think any lean meat is great. Good luck ! Cindy :heart:
  • weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    Try some tofu. Pan-fried gives it some flavor. Good luck!
  • Mrs_Ford
    Mrs_Ford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Turkey is great in tacos,spaghetti ,chili almost anything you would use hamburger in.

:heart: I agree! Turkey is the #1 meat in our family. But, my unbelievable health guru of a Mother in Law, has now started using egg plants in her food instead of meat!

I never knew this until she made some lasuanga see seen on Rachel Ray using egg plants instead of turkey or chicken. It was VERY good & this plant has so many great nutritents it's worth trying!
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oops... ok, no fish... hrm. What about beans and lentils?
  • Juggalette0327
    Options
    Oh great ideas...I'll have to try some of them. I wasn't sure what to do but I figured when 4 yr old is tired of his favorite meal I've made it WAY to much.

181403.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a huge portion of my dinners are made with chicken also! I've been switching it up with steak and turkey patties.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bison!!! It's yummy and healthy!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm with Tiddle, Bison is great and much lower in fat than beef. Also, if you're game..... :bigsmile: you could try wild game - elk, deer, etc. There are places in most areas where you can buy this. Also, there are a number of chicken sausages that don't really taste a whole lot like chicken. I make an Italian dish where I slice zucchini really thin (I use my peeler) saute it in a little bit of olive oil and then toss in a couple of Italian chicken sausages and top with my favorite marinara sauce. Its wonderful, and you would swear its pork. And, by the way, what about the other white meat?
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nothin' wrong with beef..stick to lean cuts, buy the extra lean ground beef, and cook it in its natural juices or Pam spray.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Here's a list of acceptable proteins from the book "Are You Ready," by Bob Harper. He pretty much follows the same concept with watching calorie intake, etc...

(I'm not including fish or chicken even though they are on the list)
    Extra-lean ground beef
    Fillet of beef
    Top sirloin
    Turkey Breast
    Lean ground turkey breast
    Low-sodium deli slices (turkey, roast beef, boiled ham)
    Turkey bacon
    Canadian bacon
    Eggology egg whites
    Whole eggs
    Protein powder
    Myoplex Carb Sense protein drinks
    Low-fat/nonfat milk
    Low-fat/nonfat cottage cheese
    Low-fat/nonfat cheese
    Laughing Cow Low-fat cheese triangles
    Raw or dry-roasted nuts
    Tofu
    Soybeans
    All-natural Peanut butter
    All-natural almond butter
    Fage 2% Greek-style yogurt

I hope that helps!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    tastes like chicken :huh: :sick: :tongue: :noway:
    :laugh: :wink:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    And to Mrs_Ford Rachel also made lasagna using grilled eggplant in place of the noodles. A great idea for the low carb diets out there. Try some seafood, grill salmon, shrimp. Salmon is higher in fat but it is the good fat.:smile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    BEEF! It's what's for dinner.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Lean Beef
    Lean cuts of pork
    Turkey
    Lean sausages
    Lamb
    Tofu (makes great fried rice)
    Eggs

These are all good sources of protien.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about beef or pork or any other type of meat as long as you choose leaner options and eat in moderation. In fact, they offer health benefits that you won't find in just chicken. And, if you look at the calories, the lean cuts aren't any higher in calories than chicken (or not much).

Besides, they taste good!
  • anthonyd
    anthonyd Posts: 3
    Options
    you have to watch your sodium intake as well and pork is high in sodium so just limit the amounts
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with red meat, just get lean cuts and remember proper portions.
    Or eat some yummy tofu, tempeh, or seitan :wink:
  • chicaloca6470
    chicaloca6470 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    we dont restrict ourselves to just chicekn. we eat all kinds of meat they are just lean. i buy 3% lean ground beef, cut the fats off other meats and so on.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I like lean pork and beef cuts as well. Also, I will buy chicken or turkey products that aren't so obviously poultry like turkey sausages and using ground chicken in dishes.:happy:
  • Juggalette0327
    Options
    Thank you everybody.:bigsmile: I really appreciate all your help.