Juicer

Options
I'm looking into getting a juicer. I've been wanting one for a while but the price has given me pause. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a juicer and not have it be a good one, so I wanted to get some opinions from those of you who might have one.

If you have one, what brand do you have and do you like it?

I know whatever brand I get it's going to be expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions on the good brands before investing so much money into it.

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to buy this one: http://www.harveynorman.com.au/breville-juice-fountain-plus.html

Note that this is an Australian site so you might pay a different amount in the US.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and the best was a Breville. I bought if for the boyfriend. He said it was a nuisance to clean so he used it once. Truthfully. I love the Ninja. It is easy to clean.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I'm looking into getting a juicer. I've been wanting one for a while but the price has given me pause. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a juicer and not have it be a good one, so I wanted to get some opinions from those of you who might have one.

If you have one, what brand do you have and do you like it?

I know whatever brand I get it's going to be expensive, so I wanted to get some opinions on the good brands before investing so much money into it.

It is a waste.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I bought one off of craigslist for $15 last month ... I didn't want to spend a fortune on a high end model until I found out if I would use it enough. I haven't used it yet :blushing:
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1. make sure when you juice you bump your fibre intake as well.

2. find out that isn't a pain to clean. I know plenty of people to own one - in the basement just because it sucks to clean.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    2. find out that isn't a pain to clean. I know plenty of people to own one - in the basement just because it sucks to clean.

^^^^^ this.

My juicer cost £120 and i haven't used it in 3 years because getting all the parts out and then cleaning it all is so annoying. If it magically cleaned itself I'd use it at least twice a week.

ETA I chose this one because it could fit whole apples and oranges in. I didn't want to have to spend ages chopping fruit into bite size pieces.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You want a juicer that is somewhat easy to clean, and has a wide mouth so you're not doing a ton of chopping. I have a Juiceman Jr. that was about $42 - even though it is small, it's somewhat easy to clean, but you have to clean it as soon as you're done. The draw back is I have to cut up the fruit and veggies in small pieces which is time consuming.
  • legacyknits
    legacyknits Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The best juicer is The Breville...but at $150 i was not sure i would use it very much, and didn't want to spend that much. I went to Walmart and got one for $50. I think it was a GE. The thing is, if you do the green juice reboot you may want to repeat it again and again. My husband and I do...so now we want to buy the Breville, but I'm glad we didn't spend so much at first. Just in case we didn't like it.
    We watched a movie called " Fat Sick and Nearly Dead". It inspired us to try a juice fast. He lost 25lbs in 20 days. He is 300lb to begin with. He did nothing but juice the whole time. If you know you will use it a lot...get the Breville...you get 25% more juice from the produce, but if you aren't sure, get a cheap one to try it out and cut your losses. Weight loss shouldn't break your budget.
    Also, save the produce bags and line your waste container...clean up is easy, and get a small brush to clean the basket.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    The best juicer is The Breville...but at $150 i was not sure i would use it very much, and didn't want to spend that much. I went to Walmart and got one for $50. I think it was a GE. The thing is, if you do the green juice reboot you may want to repeat it again and again. My husband and I do...so now we want to buy the Breville, but I'm glad we didn't spend so much at first. Just in case we didn't like it.
    We watched a movie called " Fat Sick and Nearly Dead". It inspired us to try a juice fast. He lost 25lbs in 20 days. He is 300lb to begin with. He did nothing but juice the whole time. If you know you will use it a lot...get the Breville...you get 25% more juice from the produce, but if you aren't sure, get a cheap one to try it out and cut your losses. Weight loss shouldn't break your budget.
    Also, save the produce bags and line your waste container...clean up is easy, and get a small brush to clean the basket.

Yes I have a Breville. I bought it from Amazon. The BF used it once because it was a nuisance to clean. Get a Ninja and slice the fruit to get rid of the seeds or else pulverize it all.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Sounds like juicers might be a pain in the bottom. lol I'll see if I can find one that's easy(er?) to clean and has a large "feed" so I don't have to cut everything up small.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
  • jodidlyO
    Options
    I just bought the Breville yesterday! My old juicer had broken and that was a Big Pain to clean - it was a Samson cold press ($$$) that you had to feed tiny pieces into, was slow and then hard to clean on top. Im loving the Breville so far!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is not eaasy to clean them but thinking of the benefits of juicing you'll forget about the cleaning :drinker:
    Green juices boost your immune system, all veggie juices provide all minerals and vitamins your body needs and the side effects are: shiny, healthy skin, hair and nails, proper level of iron, low level of cholesterol, high level of energy and natural anti depressant. Beetroot-apple-carrot juice brought my iron level up by 74% after a surgery 2 years ago.
    I really don't mind cleaning a juicer:happy:
    Oh, and the juices help to cleanse kidney and liver. But you have to juice veggies and green leaves and not only fruit (too much sugar).
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    I have a Big Boss juicer I got on Amazon.com for about $60. It is easy to clean, easy to use and has handled everything I've thrown at it. I LOVE juicing and I've become addicted. I feel so good after a mix of Kale, Celery and Orange juice!

HOWEVER: I am finding very hard to get accurate calorie counts on juice. I found some raw juice in the available foods and it claimed to be MORE calories than the fruit items from which it was made.

In fact, I used to eat a lot more fresh fruit and vegetables before using MFP because it is so much easier to get accurate calorie counts on pre-packaged foods, it seems.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville...Expensive but AWESOME!
  • Rachet11
    Rachet11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I ordered the following off amazon for around £70:-

Philips HR1861 Aluminium Whole Fruit Juicer with Juice Jug and Cleaning Brush

It is the best juicer I have had and by far the easiest to clean, I've even converted my husband which is unheard of!