Running Help

Options
I am looking to start running but have never done it before, if anybody has some advice on how to start or any info please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• ingot81
    ingot81 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Try Couch to5k:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are lots of apps if you have an iPhone/iPod. It's how I got started.

I progressed to "A Bridge to 10k" and am nw training for my first half marathon.
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I never ran until August this year, but now I enjoy this. I used the C25K at cool running (mentioned in prior post) to start. Now I run twice during the week, shorter runs. On weekends I run/walk with a group that is training for a half marathon. This week we did 11 miles.
    For the long runs we use Jeff Galloway's method of interspersing walking and running. You can build up distance and/or speed, but keeping the walk breaks help prevent injury. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you do the C25K, let me know when you start. Maybe we can motivate each other.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm a former runner. I have a knee injury that prohibits me from running. Last night we had a bunch of runners give some good advice in this thread here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/428409-i-want-to-be-a-runner

You need a good pair of running shoes. You'll hate running for awhile but keep at it everyday and you will LOVE it. Honestly it's something I've enjoyed the most, and now that I can't run anymore makes me sad :(
    I've had to replace it with other things like swimming and cycling but I can learn to love those too.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Slow to start. Alot of people who want to run try to do to much in the beginning. A slow pace in the beginning for short amounts of time will give you the muscle foundation that you need to increase both your speed and time. Good shoes are also a must.
    Good Luck!!
  • amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I liked the C2k, if you have a smart phone then the app is great!
  • amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above - couch to 5k...also just start out slow and do what you can...run/jog for a minute, walk for a few and repeat. Eventually you will build up. I am starting my half-marathon training so I am here for support if you need it.
    I would also sign up for a race (5k) in 8-12 weeks...this will give you a goal to work towards. I find I am more focused when I have an end game. :)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Started with C25K then halfway thru I switched to C210K......This helped me tons!!!
  • ingot81
    ingot81 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Started with C25K then halfway thru I switched to C210K......This helped me tons!!!

I used this one if it helps . . . http://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    C25K, and follow it close even if you feel like skipping ahead early on. 8-9 weeks ago I could barely run 5min at a time, now I run 2-3 miles almost everyday as a warmup to group classes at the gym. It DOES work if you stick with it. Good luck!
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep...Couch to 5k is a great program. It builds up your endurance and lets your body get used to running at a slow pace. I was never a runner but completed the progam without injury Thanksgiving week with my first 5k on Thanksgiving day. The app for android/iphone is great to have. I did all my training on the treadmill so running outside was definitely a different feeling but to keep on schedule the treadmill was my best option. Definitely take a rest day between runs.....your body needs that recovery time. I ran Tues, Thurs & Sat. Also, don't get caught up on speed or distance, pick a speed/pace that is comfortable to you......completing the run times is the most important part. The speed and distance will come as your endurance builds. Good luck!!!
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    C25K, and follow it close even if you feel like skipping ahead early on.

Totally agree, don't skip ahead, you need to build endurance or the hard days will sneak up on you. :-)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I picked a 2 mile route and worked my way up to being able to run the whole thing. It started slow - 1 minute running, 3 minutes walking, repeat. I did the route 2-3 times a week. Each week, I increased the running and decreased the walking. It took me a while, but eventually I got to the point that I could run the whole thing.

Some things that would have made it easier, had I known:

1. Go to a reputable running store and get fitted for shoes (one that does video assessment on your stride) and ask them if there are things you should change about your stride.
    2. Make an appointment with a physical therapist that specializes in runners and get an assessment of strength and stride.
    3. Take the time to stretch after every run (the PT from item 2 can help with proper technique).

I had a few setbacks along the way that included mild shin splits, an inflamed tendon near my ankle, and some bouts with knee pain. I could have avoided most of it if I'd had better running form and had done more stretching after runs.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Start slow. For me the main thing was just to get out there. I always tried to get in an hour... running or walking.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5k last summer, and now I'm training for my first half marathon, and planning on doing 12 races in 12 months. As posted above, start slow and resist the temptation to jump ahead. Be patient and your body will adapt. After a few weeks, I went and got some good running shoes, which helped tremendously.
  • LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started in August by just running 5 minutes a day, preferably without stopping. My route was to run up a large hill and then walk down (due to knees hurting if I ran downhill). The idea was that if I ran up that hill every day for a year I'd be better off than if I didn't.

It was easy to stick to because once you put your running shoes on and took your first few steps, you felt like you were halfway done. It wasn't hard to make myself do it faithfully.

After a week or so I was able to make it to the top without stopping, and then my body was asking for 6 minutes, then 7. Sooner or later, I tried running on flatter terrain and found that my uphill running was much harder than flat running, so the 10 minutes or so of my usual route translated into enough stamina to run 2 miles. Soon I was running 3 miles every time and loved the sense of accomplishment.

Because of the slow ramp up - where running was fun instead of drudgery or overwhelmingly difficult - I discovered that I LOVE to run!!

Then I found Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training plan, and had no problems building my distances on that schedule. Within about 2 1/2 months from the first run in August, I was running 8 miles for long runs, on a route that included roller coaster hills and rolling hills. I also found some shoes that fixed my knee pain by removing the heel impact on the road.

I did run into a problem with my arches which currently doesn't allow me to go further than 7 miles without my feet hurting, so I'm no longer training for a 1/2 marathon. But, I faithfully run (and LOVE it!!) 3 - 4 times per week, either 4 miles of solid up/down a roller coaster hill, or 5 - 7 miles in a combination of large and rolling hills....just long enough until my arches tell me to stop.

BTW, I can hardly run 2 miles on a treadmill. Each step is a decision as to whether this is too boring and I should stop. I can only make the right decision for about 2 miles worth of steps. So, every day the weather is in the teens or higher with no snow or precipitation is a great day to get outside running. You'd be surprised how fun it is to run in the blowing wind, even if it's nippy, if you have layered correctly. By the end of the run, you'll have several layers hanging around your waist if it's in the teens. I don't run if its colder than the teens because the air isn't comfortable in the lungs.

Good luck!! I am so happy this worked for me. I hope you find something that works for you, too.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Start slow, run/walk intervals work great to get the body used to running and avoid injury. There are a lot of programs out there for runners of all types. Pick a distance that you would like to shot for and search. You will find a program that will fit your schedule. Good Luck to you, I have found great pleasure in running!