earned calories???

Options
I am new to this site and the whole diet and exercise thing. I am trying to do menus that stay in my calorie allotment but when I added everything up along with my treadmill walk, it said I have earned 75 calories. I don't understand.

Replies

• donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    I am new to this site and the whole diet and exercise thing. I am trying to do menus that stay in my calorie allotment but when I added everything up along with my treadmill walk, it said I have earned 75 calories. I don't understand.
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey Donna,

When you add in your exercise it takes those calories that you burned and adds them back to the amount you can consume...

So, say your goal is 1500 calories per day. If you exercise(burn off) 200 calories and eat(consume) 1200 calories, you would have 500 left over.

Hope this helps!

-Ian
  • jomane81
    jomane81 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    everytime you exercise, you earn the calories from that extra workout. you've burned the calories from your original allotment, so you get to eat a little more. if you do a really hardcore workout and burn several hundred calories in a day, you probably NEED to eat more to replenish your body. Plus, a lot of us see it as a nice reward for the workout--I jogged this morning, so I can have an extra (healthy) snack today!

Good Luck!!!
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    everytime you exercise, you earn the calories from that extra workout. you've burned the calories from your original allotment, so you get to eat a little more. if you do a really hardcore workout and burn several hundred calories in a day, you probably NEED to eat more to replenish your body. Plus, a lot of us see it as a nice reward for the workout--I jogged this morning, so I can have an extra (healthy) snack today!

Good Luck!!!

Thank you, now it makes more sense to me.
  • lindseyanne3
    Options
    Makes more sense to me now too... I felt like the "earned calories" were defeating the purpose of burning calories... I didn't want to eat more calories, but if they are healthy calories, not full of fat, I suppose your body would need them for energy.