Weight gain, still same size jeans?

Options
Hi MFP community,
First off, I'm new to this site. So, hello everyone :)

I joined to better understand the food I eat and to hold myself more accountable with what I consume. I am of a completely healthy weight (BMI 21) and extremely healthy due to my dedication to my workouts. My workouts consist of 10 mins of cardio, followed by a burst of strength training, repeat four times (40 mins of cardio, and about 25-30 mins of strength.) I enjoy my workouts and do a variation of cardio moves and strength moves to keep my body guessing, and also ensuring I don't become bored!

All that being said, I had my physical last night and have gained weight since last year! 10 lbs, to be exact. Yet, I am still the same jeans size. Admittedly my diet is not perfect, during the week it is fantastic but I have a tendency to "party" on the weekends. However, as I have said, I wear the same clothes. What the heck?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Bumping for a response as I have this same problem and am curious too as to the answer.
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No worries! It's muscle that you're adding. That'll weigh more, yet take up less room. Remember - Strong is the new Skinny!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    10 pounds won't make you gain a dress size. I notice I have to gain or lose 15-20 pounds in order to see a clothing size change, and I am short.
  • LSab21
    Options
    Thank you all for the support :) It's no fun seeing that number get bigger, no matter how small you are. I knew that muscle takes up less room than fat, but I didn't want to use that as an easy way out! :) Good to see you all agree.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It is most likely muscle, but clearly I don't know you and you workouts so there's no way to tell for sure :) If you think you LOOK better, then that's probably what it is! Check out this article (kind of long, but WORTH IT!!):

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    It will be muscle.. Muscle is weighs more fat. You dont need to be worried about getting large muscles as women dont get massive muscles, so lift heavy and who cares what the scales say =] If you feel fit and healthy and fit into your clothes thats all that matters. Too many people rely on a weight, rather than how they actually look and feel.

Also muscle burns more calories =]

Good luck

Also if you know your body fat% you can work out your lean muscle mass, which well confirm that its muscle weight :)
  • LSab21
    Options
    very cool- how do i calculate my body fat percentage?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    In my pre-kids days I did a half-marathon. During the four months of training I GAINED 6 pounds and went down 2 dress sizes. Go figure.