3 simple new rules for eating

Options
Hi all! I wanted to get your take on what you may think of these three simple rules I have just created for myself. Firstly you must know that I've identified (and my family too) that I unusually eat too fast. So after reading a few articles I've come up with what I think is a simple, adaptable solution to help my body better gauge being content vs. full.... #1 chew at least 20 times per bite. #2 wait 30 seconds before taking another bite (implement must not be in hand, but on the table) #3 leave a third of my meal on my plate.

I have put this to the test for the last couple days and have found a few things: 1- it's getting easier to recognize being contented. Also it takes me about 30 minutes or so to complete a meal...and I have successfully left a range of a third to half of my meal behind- This has helped a lot with the calorie in factor.

Any ideas, suggestions or support from those who have made their own rules and have found success?

Keep smiling and shinning,
-Skinny

Replies

• srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Those actually sound like great "rules". I caught part of Dr. Oz's show yesterday, and he was talking about a few of these things too - one of the reasons for the bloated feeling we get after a holiday meal (or any other big meal) is partly related to eating too fast, and undigested food getting into the intestines, rather than being completely digested in the stomach. Anyway, he recommended putting the utensil down between bites too, so that definitely sounds like a winner :-). Another suggestion is to drink water in between bites. That slows your eating down, helps get that water in, and the water will contribute to feeling fuller faster, but in a healthy way. I like the idea of leaving some food behind - I've been trying to do this more when I eat out (or just ask for a to go box early and put some away right off the bat) - definitely helps to cut the calories and you don't walk out feeling overstuffed.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is such a thing as eating too fast, I think what I eat and how much is more important.

Plus preparing and serving a third less food would make far more sense to me. If you can, save money and buy a third less?
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water before you eat.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water before you eat.

Definitly!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    do you just throw the 3rd of food you dont eat away?

surely just cook less :noway:
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think the 'eat slow' and drink water with your food is a good approach. I don't think you need to leave a third of your meal on your plate though. It might be different if you are in a restaurant where they have huge portions but I know when I serve myself I am usually pretty aware of the amount of food I want to eat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As a fast eater, I agree with the first two. But why the third? Just put less food on your plate.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it works for you that's all that matters. It does seem a bit tedious with all the counting and timing...

I have to say I don't get #3. I just put on my plate the amount that I intend to eat. Maybe it's just me, but if I relied on leaving 1/3 of my meal on my plate, I know I'd just take a larger portion to begin with.
  • cheepbeer
    cheepbeer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller plate!

Mike
    ]
  • I think they are amazing rules! I too eat way too fast which in turn causes me to miss the signal of being full and I continue to eat until I am over stuffed.. if only I had eaten slower and listened to my body.. great job and keep up the awesome work I am going to try doing those things also if you don't mind
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just portion out the amount of calories you have to eat. Eat what you portion. Done. If your meal is supposed to be 500 calories, and you put 500 calories worth of food on your plate, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you eat them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Plus preparing and serving a third less food would make far more sense to me. If you can, save money and buy a third less?

^ Agreed with this.
  • doramouse
    Options
    I think all three are great ideas. As a fast eater I get what you are saying. And putting that fork down - good idea. I"m going to try these ideas.
    As for leaving your food - I get that too. I eat off a salad plate but it's still easy to pile it up. But really, I think it is because I come from the "clean plate club" and if the plate isn't clean, then something is wrong. I try to leave 2 - 4 bites everything -and it's hard because I grew up having to clean my plate. It is like trying to retrain my brain to say it's ok to not eat every last scrap that is in front of me. And I toss what I leave on my plate because it's ok to do so!

Thanks for the great thread! Good Luck!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I definitely think I could eat more slowly to give myself time to see if I'm full. But I don't think I could leave 1/3 of my food on my plate. I had 441 calories for dinner last night -- a 4oz piece of salmon and a cup of green beans and a few almonds sprinkled on them. Honestly, if I'd left a 1/3rd of that on my plate, I'd have still been hungry. I just try to make smaller portioned meals. And if I accidently make too much, I put the leftovers in the fridge for my lunch the next day. I could see the 1/3 rule really working when eating out, though, because they give you such large portions and there's so many added calories. :}
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've tried the chewing each bite a certain number of times and waiting before bites things before. Too often I'd get destracted by a conversation or something else and forget to count or put my fork down.

I don't understand the leaving 1/3 of the food on your plate rule. Why not just start with a smaller portion? I'd constantly hear my grandmother telling me to clean my plate because children were starving overseas if I tried that. :ohwell:

But if this works for you then I say go for it.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Eating slower will definatly help as will pausing. Leaving food on the plate implies that your serving is too large to begin with. If you are careful with serving size (use a smaller plate to make it look bigger if that helps) you don't need to leave food on the plate. I hate to see that waste. As for drinking water before you eat, great idea but make sure its 30 minutes before you eat. Also don't drink with a meal as it helps wash food down and through your system. You want to hold on to what you eat so you feel full and get the nutriants you need. Also don't drink for 30 mintues after for the same reason. Works for me.
  • Goose1972
    Options
    "#3 leave a third of my meal on my plate. "

I think the point of leaving food on the plate, is to show your mind that we really don't need to eat as much as we think we do to feel full.

In the end, if it works, don't fix it.
  • hey SRP, The H20 is a great tip! Thanks for the advice and support!:) Enjoy the rest of your holiday!:)
  • Hey Goose, That's a super good point...I'm trying to "un-train" and retrain my mind like you said.I just don't need all of it! Thanks for the input and enjoy the holiday!
  • japruzze,

Wow that is so very good advice. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! So helpfull!:)