3 simple new rules for eating

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes, LOL! I love that your grandmother is one of your voices of reason, mine as well! Thankgoodness for them, right? where would we be? You have a great point about wastefullness. I suppose I should have specified that I this applies to when I'm dining out and that I take the rest home for later. Between myself and the rest of the heathens in my household it will not go to waste...lol! I'm so happy for your imput, thank you dear!:)
  • Hambone, I love how you are so dedicated to nutrition and meal planning! That's a great point! There should be a ballance of all things considered in a meal...even if it's dinning out. Great catch and cheers to your many successes doll!
  • dormanhouse, omg... I love the coined term "clean plate club" that's fantastic! I can totally relate...Although it wasn't always forced...growing up I always felt guilty "self implied" for leaving anything on my plate a starving child could eat...it still stays with me today too. It's funny how even as adults some things really "stick". Thanks for sharing and for the support. Knock 'em dead today!:)
  • dormanhouse, omg... I love the coined term "clean plate club" that's fantastic! I can totally relate...Although it wasn't always forced...growing up I always felt guilty "self implied" for leaving anything on my plate a starving child could eat...it still stays with me today too. It's funny how even as adults some things really "stick". Thanks for sharing and for the support. Knock 'em dead today!:)
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Hi all! I wanted to get your take on what you may think of these three simple rules I have just created for myself. Firstly you must know that I've identified (and my family too) that I unusually eat too fast. So after reading a few articles I've come up with what I think is a simple, adaptable solution to help my body better gauge being content vs. full.... #1 chew at least 20 times per bite. #2 wait 30 seconds before taking another bite (implement must not be in hand, but on the table) #3 leave a third of my meal on my plate...<Truncated for brevity>

Makes sense what you're trying to do, but that's a lot of conscious, mental counting just to eat a few bites (even for this accountant!), let alone a single meal! BUT...if you experiment with it and it seems to work for you, who am I to judge? =)

In terms of gauging satisfied vs. full, I think the content of what you eat is a bigger factor than the physical eating mechanics. For example, 400 calories of M&Ms will provide a different satiating effect than an equal calorie serving of broccoli. In terms of satiation vs. fullness, that is one aspect where not every calorie has the same effect on the body.

From a nutritional science perspective, there's a lot of research being done on a somewhat newly discovered hormone called leptin, and how leptin interacts with insulin and the foods we eat in terms of regulating physiological hunger signals within the body.

From another perspective, it makes sense that food sellers will want to design foods that help override normal satiation signals. In order to profit, food sellers (even diet food sellers) must be able to sell more calories than consumers actually need (opposite goal of most dieters)--so food has to be tasty but not so satisfying that they won't want to buy another food product for awhile.

I also think emotions play a role in overriding satiation signals. A lot of us (me included) have grown up with years of associating non-diet-friendly foods with positive emotions, during both stressful and good times, so we "crave" certain foods even though we're not physiologically hungry.

All I'm getting at is that if you're interested in this subject of satiation vs. hungry (and it seems you are), there are other avenues to look at it through in addition to your food rules experiment.
  • Here's my mantra to healthy eating: Eat simple, eat fresh, eat at home.

Eat simple: if you can't pronounce any of the ingredients, or theres like a bazillion ingredients listed, its most likely processed and not very natural.

Eat fresh: the faster it spoils, the fresher & cleaner it is! For example, berries, fruit, veggies, etc. usually have to be eaten within a few days before it begins to go bad or become over ripe.

Eat at home: you'd be suprised just how many calories and fats are in a "healthy" resturaunt meal! When you eat at home, you know exactly what is going into your food, exactly how it was prepared, and exactly how many calories/fat you are intaking.