I am secretly being protected by the universe

Options
:huh: :sad: My faithful friend died today...my car, Silverado. I could get a new one but with gas prices the way they are, I decided to get a bike instead, a bicycle that is. So MY LIFE IS FORCING ME TO EXERCISE...lucky me! LOL. :tongue: Does anyone have a suggestion of a good bike to get, I know nothing about them, everytime I buy a bike I buy one that gets a flat tire within a week and then I stop riding it and it rusts and dies.

Replies

• graypink0130
    Options
    :huh: :sad: My faithful friend died today...my car, Silverado. I could get a new one but with gas prices the way they are, I decided to get a bike instead, a bicycle that is. So MY LIFE IS FORCING ME TO EXERCISE...lucky me! LOL. :tongue: Does anyone have a suggestion of a good bike to get, I know nothing about them, everytime I buy a bike I buy one that gets a flat tire within a week and then I stop riding it and it rusts and dies.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. But let me say you are awesome. That is huge:bigsmile:

Great job:bigsmile:
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    mo-ped!~!:tongue:

get a bike at a bike shop.. not at a meijer's or walmart... or whatever...
    Bike or sport shop
    more expensive but will last and last
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    oh my god
    i thought you said your friend died in your car
    i was like UH DONT SEEM TO SAD THERE!!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Invest in some good tires when you get it. They have tubes that will hold a flat for a while and are puncture resistant. I bought a cheapie from toys r us for like $59.,I think it was a schwinn--didn't have a very long shelf life. If you can afford it, do buy from a shop and spend the couple hundred to get a good sturdy one that will meet your needs, but don't let them sell you overkill, do you really think the average rider needs 21 speeds, uh, I don't think so.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    oh my god
    i thought you said your friend died in your car
    i was like UH DONT SEEM TO SAD THERE!!

That's what I thought! I had to re-read the post twice!
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I bought a best friend last year, it is a "Scott" and it hasn't let me down yet; I am looking forward to the better weather to ride it more as I came off it on the ice - my own stupid fault!:embarassed:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    I love my Nishiki 12 speed. I live on a 40 mile bike trail.

I have been seriously cutting back on car trips. It is ridiculous how expensive it is to have a car. I'm old enough to remember $0.19 a gallon, and a brand new VW Beetle for $1,700.

Good for you! You are saving the planet, too! I quit my job when they moved it 20 miles away (and in downtown Seattle - no rail transit - and the buses take forever.) I was gone from the house 14 hours a day.

They have classes at bike stores on how to change a flat - it will happen. But with a little practice, 15-20 minutes has you right back on the road. Definitely plan to spend $500 or more for a good comfortable bike.

Good luck!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A bike shop is a must for reliable bikes. your choice depends on your needs. If you are just using it for town, I would go look at a town/hybrid.. this has tires that are between road bike and mountain bike tires, and are sleek (not bumpy like the mountain bike tires). The handlebars are not rolled down, but high and straight. With a back rack on the tire, you can keep a bag for groceries and other stuff!

Best of luck!

ileana
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to a reputable bike shop where you are.

Tell them what you need the bike for, your budget and they will find you a bike. I sold my bike before I moved and I miss it so. Also, they look dorky, but buy a helmet, too. :flowerforyou:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I second the "go to a bike shop" advice. I have a road bike but for comfort and convenience (i.e., wearing your street shoes instead of bike shoes) while commuting, I recommend a good hybrid. I have a Trek, myself, that I used to ride to work. At the shop you can tell them your budget and they'll work with you to set you up with a good-fitting bike.
    What I really wanted to say is - please invest in a helmet and a good front and back light - these are not that expensive but can save your life. And also, if you have to carry a lot back and forth, maybe consider getting some panniers (ask at the bike shop - they should have some) rather than loading down a large backpack. (Panniers are bags that you attach to the bike; thus saving your back from carrying all the weight.)
    Oh, yeah, and you can get tire pumps that attach right to the frame - these are a good idea as well!