I am new to the site and I have made up my mind.

Options
Hello Everyone, I am new to this site, a little nervous about introducing myself and well, just wanting a little support in how to get started. I just turned 55 and have been soul searching about the impact on my life of having gained so much weight. I am at 230.2 lbs and was up 5 lbs before staring this site about a month ago.

I have the bad habit of eating too many carbs and that shows in logging my food. I have known for years that too many carbs will add the weight with little to no exercise. I am very sedentary and want to change my lifestyle to include exercise on a daily basis. I ache terribly when I do something as simple as taking my dog walking, but I am told that it is the simplest of exercises, so I will just have to take ibuprofen and get moving.

I could on and on, but I have made 5 lbs of weight loss progress in one month, so I want to stick to logging my food intake and discovering new friends here on the site.

I have been reluctant to say much to family and friends because this is not the first time I have attempted weight loss, only to gain the lost weight and many more pounds.

You guys know the drill I'm sure, so that's my intro. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, the best thing EVER for folks like us who want to change for the healthy. :)

Sounds like we have a few things in common. Want a friend along for the journey? Feel free to add me. I'm working on my 11th month on MFP and it has changed my life in ways I can't even begin to tell you.

I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it. This journey you're undertaking is all about doing, not wishing or hoping. You can absolutely, positively do it. Forward we go!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    You will be successful, as long as you keep your head in the right place. I think you have the right motivation to get this done, and the maturity to stay with it!
  • JamesBC78
    JamesBC78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy path. If so, everyone would look fit and wonderful. Even doing little changes, like going a little further when walking your dog, will help. Tracking your food is an amazing discovery process. I have been getting in the habit that anytime something goes in my mouth, I open the app on my phone and log it. WOW.. All those little bits add up!!! So great job on taking that step!!!

After you get past some of the BS on the forums, there is some really informative information out there and some great support people!!! So don't be shy. If you struggle with something, post it and I bet you that you will be surprised with the support you get!

One step at a time!
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So glad you are here! You're taking the right steps to change your LIFE.. which will result in weight loss. :) Accountability and some perseverance and you're golden!
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    welcome, take it one @ a time and it will fallin place, I'm still struggling, but at least I'm trying!!!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    glad you are here! this is a wonderful site, with lots of support. We are about the same age and I have difficulty moving because of arthritis etc... but you have to keep moving! If you would like to add me as a friend please feel free to do so, the more personal support the better. I have discovered several things about my eating habits by logging my food in, I think that is a very important first step. good luck!
  • Dustin_02
    Dustin_02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp! This place is great just gotta take it one day at a time!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You said the magic words..."want to change my lifestyle "! With that attitude you can't help but succeed!
  • Bucky2001
    Options
    Hey there!! Congrats on join the site and making the decision to lose weight and improve your life. I too and fairly new to this, I started about 6 weeks ago. I'm down about 20 lbs so far, with a long long way to go ( I need to lose about 190 more!!) Just remember, you've conquored 99% of the battle with tracking your food and beginning to exercise. 99% is in the mind to decide to do this. Welcome and good luck!! I look forward to seeing your progress and successes!!
  • Miraclewrkr1
    Miraclewrkr1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I would like a friend along for the journey. I see from the blogs and message boards that water is important, so I need to start focusing on adding more water than what I have been drinking. On an average, I drink between 3-6 glasses per day. I have pretty much deleted sodas from my diet for the past 2 years, but occasionally I do indulge.

I work everyday, so I find myself eating to appease the stress and feeling like I have to eat during everyone else's timeframe. But during times that I am home on vacation, I eat once a day and usually too much and usually the wrong things. I have discovered however, that in the morning I need to eat protein if I eat sugary foods, or I crash around lunch time feeling very sluggish.

I really don't know what to do about over doing the carbs. I thought I like green veggies, but they aren't as tasty to me as potatoes, pasta, beans and rice, all of which are white veggies.

It is amazing that you have lost 76 pounds so far. I want to lose from 75 to 90 pounds or whatever it takes to get me down to 145 lbs. 145 felt right, was comfortable and kept me motivated to stay there.

How long have you been working on your weight loss? I see that some have lost 10-20 pounds in a month....I don't know how they did it, but I have struggled to lose the measley 5 pounds I have lost. I keep yo-yoing back and forth between good and bad eating, since the holidays.

My family celebrates everything with food and all of us are struggling with weight gain. One of my sisters just had gastric bypass surgery and she has struggled the most.

I just don't want to diet any more. Dieting is what got me in this shape. I need a lifestyle change that I can maintain.
    What would you say helped you the most in terms of emotionally getting connected to losing weight and in terms of technique (i.e. drinking more water, only eating so many calories, eating the same things daily....etc.)?

Forgive me for asking too many questions. I'm just anxious to get this excess off and that is always one of the issues I face is being to "anxious" to lose it all, when it took time to accumulate the weight over time.

Oh well. Thanks for responding and thanks for your inspiration. 76 pounds is some serious weight loss.
  • JOANIE69
    JOANIE69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    please feel free to add me x:flowerforyou:
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! :smile: