Snack Help.

Options
I'm looking for some snack ideas that aren't only easy on the diet, but easy on the wallet as well. I am a cereal junkie... seriously. One of my favorite things to munch on is dry cereal. I eat it like chips or popcorn. What do YOU snack on? Please don't say popcorn... pretty much popcorned out. Any other ideas would be appreciated... just trying to change it up :wink:

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My snacks tend to be yogurt (yoplait light and greek), triscuits with laughing cow cheese, string cheese, popcorn, raw veggies with cottage cheese (put some dried ranch on it and it makes it taste so much better imo), and any fruit really - apple, grapes, banana. Since you said you love cereal, maybe try some granola? Or some healthy cereal portioned out and put into baggies so you don't overeat?
  • GuillaineC
    GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like to munch on fiber one brownies, pringles stix, nuts, fresh/frozen fruit, special k anything, yummy stuff like that. :)
  • gloriann1
    gloriann1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've found that canned soup is an easy and filling snack, and tides me over for the "main event."
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Special K Chocolaty Delight by itself is a great snack and its only 120 calories. Other Special K flavors are good too. I tend to keep the chewy granola bars on hand. They are individually wrapped and only 100 calories. Also I find that the low fat graham crackers give me a sweet fix without too many calories.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me it dried fruit. Sultanas, dried pineapple, cranberries, macademia nuts. I just pick at them in tiny amounts or portion them into 100 cal packs of aluminium foil.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love snacks! Here are some that I love:

Apple/Banana & Peanut Butter
    Nuts of Any Kind (Lately it's been pistachios)
    Fruit
    Yogurt & Granola
    Hummus & Veggies
    String Cheese
    Natural Popcorn
    Dried Prunes
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Fruit, especially clementines (35 cal/each) and bananas (90-135 cal/each depending on size). Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt, (80 cal/serving). Nothing wrong with cereal, just pick a healthy one. I like Kashi Heart to Heart Honey Oat Cereal ( 160 cal/ cup & 7 grams fiber). Look for snacks that are higher in dietary fiber and not just low calories. They fill you up and keep you feeling satisfied longer.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! What a plethora of great ideas! I knew this was the right place to find some good ones!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    double post--ideas below :) enjoy
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    rice cakes with peanut butter--caramel ones are tasty, as are chocolate ones

hummus and baby carrots

sliced red peppers dipped in light ranch

1/2 pb sandwich with banana or jam

grilled cheese--1 slice cheese, cooking spray, and 2 slices bread ~ 210 calories or less depending on bread

oatmeal --150 cal per serving regular or 100 cal per packet plain instant

pudding cup ~ 60-100 calories

can of tuna (drained) mixed with 3-4 tbsp plain yogurt, relish, and 1 serving crackers ~ 250 calories (you can have 1/2 at a time)

apple slices with pb or yogurt dip
  • bjmmcw98
    Options
    Gala apples sprinkled with cinnamon is one I just tried out today and I love them! I also like the crunchy stuff so I will do organic granola sprinkled over yogurt or Nabisco Sun Dried Tomato Basil crackers.
  • Fruit_Girl
    Fruit_Girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like sugar-free Jell-o. 10 calories per cup, you can have the entire package of 6 and only eat 60 calories. Also, rice cakes with mustard. Fiber one cereal or Cinnamon Burst cheerios. A great find was Lightlife Smartdogs. Their meat substitute hotdogs that actually taste like real hotdogs...BUT they are only 45 calories per hotdog. Yum!
  • queenlashona
    queenlashona Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some snack ideas that aren't only easy on the diet, but easy on the wallet as well. I am a cereal junkie... seriously. One of my favorite things to munch on is dry cereal. I eat it like chips or popcorn. What do YOU snack on? Please don't say popcorn... pretty much popcorned out. Any other ideas would be appreciated... just trying to change it up :wink:

My snacks of choice are apples and peanut butter, hummus and veggies, greek yougurt, fruit, nuts, boiled egg, and string cheese string cheese
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Yum! I appreciate all your ideas so much! Writing them all down as quickly as I can! i love that none of them are expensive choices either... thank you all for that! :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like Beanitos bean chips. I portion it out into 1-serving baggies (~10 chips), which stops me from eating the whole bag. If I eat the chips slowly, making sure to chew each bite very well, then one 140 calorie serving feels filling for a long while. It comes out to about $.55/serving, which is roughly comparable to eating an apple.