10 minutes, 4 times a day

Options
10-4 Good Buddy!

I'm reading a book from Prevention called, "Short Cuts to Big Weight Loss" and it promotes breaking up your workout into short bursts, saying people lose 30% more weight! The difference is, It revs up your metabolism every time and is more realistic in that people actually do it!

I have 30 days to reach my goal, which would make Jillian's 30day Shred perfect, but the last thing I need is another new work out program!

It suggests planning general times to fit in a 'burst.' I work part time, so on my days of I can get my workout taken care of all at once. Otherwise, I'm thinking 10 before I shower, on my breaks and after work. I counted, and my stairwell gives me 10 flights in 10 minutes.

Who knows, maybe it will be really great and I'll do it on my days off as well.

Any thoughts or experience?

Replies

• tosize2
    tosize2 Posts: 32
    Options
    10-4 Good Buddy!

I'm reading a book from Prevention called, "Short Cuts to Big Weight Loss" and it promotes breaking up your workout into short bursts, saying people lose 30% more weight! The difference is, It revs up your metabolism every time and is more realistic in that people actually do it!

I have 30 days to reach my goal, which would make Jillian's 30day Shred perfect, but the last thing I need is another new work out program!

It suggests planning general times to fit in a 'burst.' I work part time, so on my days of I can get my workout taken care of all at once. Otherwise, I'm thinking 10 before I shower, on my breaks and after work. I counted, and my stairwell gives me 10 flights in 10 minutes.

Who knows, maybe it will be really great and I'll do it on my days off as well.

Any thoughts or experience?
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I have the book and like the concept. On days when I can't fit in a long work-out I try to work in 10 small workouts that burn about 100 calories each, for 1000 calorie burn a day. From what I have read workouts in small bursts are just as effective as longer exercise sessions. I believe that getting up and moving is the key. I look at it as interval training throughout the day.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    this is a really good idea! i've never heard of this before.. what kind of excercises can you do in 10 minutes that burn 100 calories?
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I like it too, I'm going to go out and run on the treadmil right now. be back in 10 min.:happy:
  • zoey1912
    zoey1912 Posts: 18
    Options
    jump roping fast for 10 mins would burn about 100 calories.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I jump on the elptical do a few minutes of warm-up and then push hard for ten minutes. I also like my step at the highest level and that can get the calorie burn going really fast.

If i remember correctly from the book, spacing exercises like this throughout the day keeps your calorie burn high through most the day. Another thing Chris Freytag suggest in this book is that if your are sitting and watching tv instead of surfing during commercials get up and do something during the comercials. March or jog in place, do jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups....whatever else you can think of to get some movement in.
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    When I had first looked at the topic of this post, I had thought it was about a program called 10 minute trainer ! It's actually a program by beach body that is supposed to be excellent. I have many of the beach body. I have used turbo jam, power 90 and am currently doing chalene extreme. I am purchasing 10 min trainer myself and from what I am ready it really rocks. I have 2 more weeks Of Chalene Extreme then onto p90x and I am adding in the 10 min trainer with it.. the pics are pretty amazing on the beach body boards. You can visit my page by going to

www.teambeachbody.com/fitfarmgirl

and look over the products that they have. I think to read the boards you have to become a member but I believe the offer 3 levels and one is free. That way you can log in and see many who have used 10 min trainer. Their pics are just mind blowing. I believe there is a box that says join community on my page you can just go there .
    Here are my photos from before I started beach body and me now ;)

fat2.jpg
    Me Before at 276+

Me now
    264867317_o.jpg

I will let you all know what I think about 10 min trainer once it arrives ;)
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    ok, I'm back. I did a 2 min. warmup walk and 15 min. run on 6.0, so I n the last 17 min I just burned 194cal for today. (Thanks for the reminder girls....:happy: ...even when you think you don't have the time to exercise, you do) I wasn't planning on getting anything in until later this afternoon, now I already got over half way through what I normally do in a day, but this afternoon I will just do more and make it a great workout day. I guess this is why we read these threads, I really needed the motivation, thanks:flowerforyou:
  • tosize2
    tosize2 Posts: 32
    Options
    AWESOME!!

(erussell,) you can also get the DVD, which is full of 10min workouts...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Just now saw this on a new friends topics.. so bump bump!! :flowerforyou: Want to check this out further when I am able:wink:
    Thanks tosize2:drinker:

Becca:heart:
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I first started weight watchers I was paranoid on weigh in day. That day I would carve out four or five 10 minute blocks to take a quick walk or tackle the stairs wells. I'd park farther away from work to walk to the building, then carve out there blocks for walking and stairs, then walk back to my car. On rainy days I was able to walk in the parking structure. I felt so great on those days!! I always lost at the weigh ins later in the day when I did this but I can't be 100% that is the reason. It felt good and I got some killer workouts on the stairs.

There is a Tight on Time DVD series that I have that offers 10 minute workouts led by Tammi Lee Webb. There is also a series called Quick Fix and there is one called The Complete Total Body Workout that had the best ab series. I saw results so fast. There is more out there on the topic now so you can pick and choose workouts. I've no tried the BeachBody 10 minute trainer.

I hope you post your results and experiences.