New Member Assistance

Options
Hello Everyone,
I recently joined this site about 2 weeks ago and just started exercising at a gym as well. I was curious what would be the best workout program to lose weight. I would like to lose 30-40 lbs and was curious what the best course of action would be to accomplish that. The last 2 times I went to the gym I exercise for about 35 minutes on an elliptical machine and only burn about 320 calories, so is that normal or should I change my routine?
Thanks,

Replies

• Ajenda79
    Ajenda79 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I recently joined this site about 2 weeks ago and just started exercising at a gym as well. I was curious what would be the best workout program to lose weight. I would like to lose 30-40 lbs and was curious what the best course of action would be to accomplish that. The last 2 times I went to the gym I exercise for about 35 minutes on an elliptical machine and only burn about 320 calories, so is that normal or should I change my routine?
    Thanks,
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to set up your profile and follow the calories that they give you. When you exercise add those calories in and eat them. For the first 10 to 20 pounds you could probably set your goals for 2 pounds per week, then I would reset you goal for 1 pound a week until you only have about 10 to lose then switch it to 1/2 pounds per week.

That sounds about right for 35 min to me. To get a more accurate calorie count you could use a heart rate monitor.
  • Ajenda79
    Options
    Hi Anna,
    Thanks for the reply :-)
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone here is nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Ajenda79
    Options
    Hi Lauramg,
    Thanks for the reply.. I wish you success with your goals as well :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauramg,
    Thanks for the reply.. I wish you success with your goals as well :smile:

thanks. :happy:
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. :smile:
    I think it is great that you already know that eating healthy AND exercise is the right way to get to a healthy weight. Cardio is good to help in weight loss. Look into what classes your gym offers. Try to make it a goal to try each class at least once. This will help you find something you really enjoy to work out so it won't feel so much like "work". The classes help make your time in the gym go faster (usually :laugh:) Also, start adding in some strength training. Work up to doing this 3 times a week. A lot of gyms offer a free session with one of their trainers, look into it and take advantage of this service! They can show you how to properly use the machines and get you started on a circuit training workout. Putting on muscle does wonders for your body. It speeds up your metabolism and helps you look much more lean than just doing cardio alone.
    Make sure you are eating enough too! Shoot for eating at least half of your exercise calories. They system here really works! Good luck in your journey to a healthier you.
  • Ajenda79
    Options
    Hi akahl78,
    Thanks for the reply. I have a gym at my work I have been going to and spoke with one of the trainers there to get more information. I plan to go 4-5 times a week for about 1 hour each (depending if I wake up early enough). Each session I hope to get a good cardio workout then some strength training starting next week. So, I hope it works out :)
  • Ajenda79
    Options
    Hi Again,
    I was curious if anyone knew whether digital scales are very reliable. I have been using one at it seems to fluctuate my weight about 1-3 pounds daily and I was curious if that is normal, or perhaps an issue with the scale.