Bikram Yoga--how long to get used to the heat?

Options
Like the topic says--I did my first Bikram yoga class today. I thought I would be relatively ok because I do Vinyasa yoga, which is pretty active and, well, I love heat. Instead, I could only do about half the poses and literally spent the last 20 minutes of the class concentrating on not passing out!

Also it was a bit drill sergeant-y, which I wasn't expecting.

Do you do Bikram yoga? How many classes before you got used to it?

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    two or three. the oftener you go, the easier it gets. also, don't wipe off your sweat, you'll stay cooler. the dialogue that's used for instruction is very precise. I find it allows me to concentrate on just doing the postures, without my mind getting in the way saying "no no, I don't want to do that". But, pace yourself, in every class the instruction is given that if you don't feel up to it, you just sit out a pose or go in savasana. In time, you'll find you'll do more and more.

And: make sure you drink enough, but stop about 2 hour before class, also with eating. it's much easier to practice on an empty stomach (goes for all yoga actually)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I love bikram but would have been turned off if it was drill seargenty. do they have other instructors?

depends on how fit you are to acclimate...keep going
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers guys! I had my second class today and it was MUCH better. Breathing only through my nose seemed to help too. I'm proud of myself!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers guys! I had my second class today and it was MUCH better. Breathing only through my nose seemed to help too. I'm proud of myself!

Veggievixen79 that is great! You should be proud of yourself! Now just keep it up and discover the improvements your body will make.