Do you enter your diary even if you go over??

Options
hey guys

Well today I did finish my diary BUT ended up giving in to crisps :/ Lots of them so ended up eating 1000 cals over my 1200 that I should be having can't believe how easy it is to go over so much! First day I have ever finished my diary and I feel a tad disappointed but at least I hVe entered it and seen what I have done - is that a start? As I would normally ignore it and not track!

Does anyone know where I can find a diary for meal planning??

Lou xx

Replies

• madisonsteelex
    Options
    You would have had to eat A LOT of chips to be 1000 calories, like an entire family size bag! But if you did just drink A LOT A LOT of water and let it go:) Today is a new day and one day of going over isn't going to hurt you just don't do it often! It's good that you logged it because now you can see how much damage you've done by looking at your diary, not logging it you could just do it over and over again and not think about it!
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    Haha I did that to a box of Danish butter cookies last night :happy:

Yes I log everything even if I go over. I'm not positive but I think when I log what I'm binging on, I tend to eat less than if I didn't.

It's disappointing to see that red number but it helps deter me from going even further :smile:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It happens, and it's only one day. I do try and track no matter how much I go over, because I know it's not the daily deficit that counts but the overall ongoing deficit that is important - if I log everything I can SEE the overall weekly deficit and it makes me feel less concerned about going over by a few hundred calories now and then. Also, if I go over by say 500 one day, I might try and eat less the next day, or do some exercise. You aren't going to gain weight by going over one day, other than water weight, so definitely don't worry. Plus, remember that your goal calorie target isn't going to be your maintenance level, so if you go over your goal you might still be in a deficit or barely in a surplus. Good luck!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!
    ALWAYS!!!

If you look back at your diary a month from now and you didn't track it, you might wonder what happened that week.
    I figure it's all a learning experience. It's the same for me as keeping tests in highschool that I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. It's so that we learn from it. Just track it, move on, and today is a new day.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!
    ALWAYS!!!

If you look back at your diary a month from now and you didn't track it, you might wonder what happened that week.
    I figure it's all a learning experience. It's the same for me as keeping tests in highschool that I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. It's so that we learn from it. Just track it, move on, and today is a new day.

Me too!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything - well, as of yesterday, I do. I didn't for a while and it got me an eight pound gain. Not making that mistake again. I'd rather see myself go over on calories a day or two than watch that scale go back up.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I try to think of it as data, not a judgement.

I like to be able to go back and see when I had a lot of days (or weeks, yikes) with extra calories eaten, and how that correlates with my weight.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    yes
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Do you gain anything from not recording it, other than a temporary escape from guilt that will still linger there regardless?

Anyway...

It happened. Not the end of the world. Put it behind you, and move on.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I track everything because it holds me responsible! It was just one day day, tomorrow is a new day! :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try for 100% accuracy in my food diary. If you need to set it to private for a day or two in order to do your log without feeling public shame, do what you need to do for yourself! I see it as a historical record which helps me understand the overall picture of my fitness/weight loss efforts.

Plus, NOT logging is a slippery slope. Once you start doing it, I think it can erode your efforts. You might start feeling that if the food diary is a lie, that it isn't worth coming here to log at all.
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps me stay on track even if I don't track for the whole day, tracking for part of it keeps me in line and I can go back and see what worked and what didn't for me. I even track my weight daily in the note section and I track my vitamin and medicine intake. I find that if I totally fall off of tracking these things I fall off all the way then I'm really doing bad and gaining weight instead of losing and getting healthier, I also track in a note book I carry with me so when i don't have access here but as soon as i do i transfer the information over. Do what works best for you, keep up the good work.:smile:
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    only on the weekends when I loose track of the booze i drink. This is why i wanna quit drinking
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    heck no...it dont count unless you log it.
  • rainedays86
    rainedays86 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Some days that I feel I have over done myself alot. I will log it and realize I am only a few hundred over my calorie goal. And if it is early enough in the evening I will do some extra workouts to burn off those calories so I can end my day below. Hard work, but I learn my lesson when I am sweaty and exhausted. Sometimes if I know I will have a snacky night I will work out a bit extra that day so I can indulge in some sweets or chips. Don't beat yourself up over it. This is a life change, you learn as you go. :-)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you are in a committed relationship...does sleeping with someone else make it OK if no one else finds out?

Seriously, commit and hold yourself accountable. Otherwise, you will always have an excuse.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    YES!!!!!!
    ALWAYS!!!

^^ This!
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, and I use the notes section to write a small thing about the day, mostly to help me understand the food choices, but also as a bit of a peptalk to myself!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I try to think of it as data, not a judgement.

I like to be able to go back and see when I had a lot of days (or weeks, yikes) with extra calories eaten, and how that correlates with my weight.

this :)