On diet pills?

Options
I have gained 31 lbs in one year. I went to see my doctor and was desperate because I was a food addict and over ate at every change i could get. I asked if there was something that he could perscribe me to assist in suppressing my appetite and he gave me these pills. It was a blessing because in less than a month i had lost 18 lbs.

I don't take the pills consistantly I alternate weeks, but when i stop taking the pill my weight goes back up significanty. I find it hard to lose weight on my own because all of the hard work i put into diet and exercise to lose just 1 pound a week is extremely frustrating!

So I started my second perscription and look forward to more weight loss. Is anyone else taking diet pills perscribed or OTC? what is your opinion on this situation?

Replies

• chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am on phentermine. It helps me quite a bit.
  • Princesslenox
    Princesslenox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me too! I have a few side effects, but nothing I can't handle. You have lost 49 lbs that's great!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I think you can't stay on diet pills for the rest of your life, and when you stop, you will gain, so you need to focus on healthy diet, caloric restrictions and exercise if you want to keep the weight off.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have you considered attending OA (Over- eaters Anonymous) meetings? It would be a safer and more lasting way to combat your food addiction. Maybe give it a try and see if it can work for you.
    Be safe on those meds.
  • SLT4273
    Options
    I have taken phentermine before, but cannot take it now due to being on an anti-depressant. They helped but I didnt care for the jittery feeling & my heart was pounding.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I almost asked my doctor for diet pills, but I decided to just change home I eat.
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have taken Phentermine and also Zonagran for carb cravings. Both were prescribed from a weigth loss doctor that I used to see. It really helps and the longer you go eating less food (because you crave it less) your stomach shrinks so you shouldn't overeat after you stop taking them. If you are an emotional eater, the pills won't help long-term. If you have side effects, a good doctor will adjust the dosage. I don't take them anymore - I stopped in April or May. Good luck!
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Well done on getting on top of the weight gain before it got toally out of hand. As long as your doctor is happy with your health and you are feeling good and healthy then it's a good thing.

Medically prescribed and supervised diet pills are in the same place as anti-depressants for people with depression. They really help in the short term and are very useful, but they don't address the underlying issues, just help you deal with the results of those problems. So while you are still taking the (phentermine?), ask the doc for some help with the eating problem so that when you stop taking the pills, you don't put the weight back on.

And again, well done on taking charge of your life.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    using these sort of pills in the short-term usually affects your ability to lose weight later on in life. since the pill releases chemicals to help you ward off weight, your body will develop a reliance on those pills and wont be able to work as efficiently without them... meaning in 20 years you wont be able to lose weight without more pills... not worth it. you never know how its affecting your body.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I went to the dr on Nov 8th and she labeled me as obese also. My first thought was, "damn, really, me, obese?" This is when I decided to take control and get back into eating right, working out, (not stress eating) and getting the beers out of my home. I went back today and have lost 15 lbs in 7 weeks.

Now, I too have problems with food. I stress eat, and I believe this comes from a high amount of stress brought on by raising therapeutic foster kids. Dealing with major fits can lead to finding ways to relieve stress, BRING ON THE GRUB!! I am now finding different avenues to relieve stress and avoid the kitchen. I am not sure why you are overeating, but you can find ways to help yourself. Pills are not the answer, from what I have heard from fellow MFP'ers, they have gained the weight back. Suppressing appetite is similar to building a damn with balsam wood....Consider social supports and other avenues
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Medically prescribed and supervised diet pills are in the same place as anti-depressants for people with depression.

no
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    You never know why type of health issues you may have down the road. I would learn how to lose weight in a healthy way. If it takes forever to lose the weight then it will stay off longer! Be safe and be healthy! Losing weight fast now will not be worth health issues down the road! I use to go for the quick fix diet pills but I decided to do it the right way and I’m so happy I did!
  • Princesslenox
    Princesslenox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I have developed a healthier lifetyle while taking my diet pills. I eat way less, and exercise almost everyday! I will consider O.A. I believe that it will help. I honestly think that I can't do it on my own because of my addiction to food.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I have gained 31 lbs in one year. I went to see my doctor and was desperate because I was a food addict and over ate at every change i could get. I asked if there was something that he could perscribe me to assist in suppressing my appetite and he gave me these pills. It was a blessing because in less than a month i had lost 18 lbs.

I don't take the pills consistantly I alternate weeks, but when i stop taking the pill my weight goes back up significanty. I find it hard to lose weight on my own because all of the hard work i put into diet and exercise to lose just 1 pound a week is extremely frustrating!

So I started my second perscription and look forward to more weight loss. Is anyone else taking diet pills perscribed or OTC? what is your opinion on this situation?

1 lb a week is a healthy weight loss... so try not to find it frustrating. From what Ive heard and seen and experienced, if you lose weight too fast you will gain it back.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I started off on Phentermine 4 years ago, but after i"d made adjustments to my lifestyle and diet. I've kept my weight off because of those adjustments that I made. I changed. Completely. Exercise, even if it's just walking, is part of my everyday life. I eat what I want, but in much smaller portions and not as frequently. You can be successful on pills if you're going to be honest with yourself about what really needs to be done. Good luck to you
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm on them now. I haven't been on them my whole weight loss journey. I have only been on them for a month and a half now. I get really frustrated with people who are like, you shouldn't take pills, just eat right and exercise blah blah blah.... I know all of this and I've been struggling for 10 years and through 4 c-sections. I know that diet and exercise are the most important. I chose not to go on the meds until I felt that i was ready. I lost almost 40 lbs before taking the pills. I changed my diet and the way I eat. I joined a gym and got a personal trainer. For all the money I spent for the gym membership and the trainer I lost a grand total of 5 lbs. I was so frustrated. I can't afford the gym or the trainer anymore and don't have the time with 4 kids, a job, and I'm a full-time students. Once I felt that I had gone as far as I could on my own, I went to the doctor and got put on the meds. I need the medication so that I am not starving all the time, so my stomach will shrink back to it's normal size, and so I can stay motivated. I do take the meds, but I also log all of my food, eat healthy, and exercise almost everyday, I do cardio and strengh training at home now. I wanted the meds to help me get into the routine of eating healthy and healthy amounts, as well as, exercising regularly. I don't want to gain the weight back once I stop taking the medication. To all the people who say that diet pill and gasteric bypass do not work are full of it. Becuase I know several people who have done both and have kept the weight off for years. I do not believe that you can just take the meds and do nothing else. You will lose the weight, but you won't be able to keep it off. You really do have to change your lifestyle. Diet pill are not for everyone, but they do help some people. I didn't start taking them unitl I knew I was ready to really commit to a lifestyle change. Hopefully they will work for. Good Luck!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think you can't stay on diet pills for the rest of your life, and when you stop, you will gain, so you need to focus on healthy diet, caloric restrictions and exercise if you want to keep the weight off.

This. That's great for now but you can't live the rest of your life n them. Sounds more like you need to gain control and some motivation to work out. Yeah its hard work and you lose much much slower but at least it's your achievement. Not some pills. Plus the pills wont make you healthy, just thinner.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine but everytime I got off the pills (my Dr. would only do 3 mos at a time so one wouldnt get addicted) and my appetite was worse, constantly hungary because the pill made me not want to eat. Overall, I gained it all back and now have more to loose. Good luck. :happy:
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have taken Phentermine and also Zonagran for carb cravings. Both were prescribed from a weigth loss doctor that I used to see. It really helps and the longer you go eating less food (because you crave it less) your stomach shrinks so you shouldn't overeat after you stop taking them. If you are an emotional eater, the pills won't help long-term. If you have side effects, a good doctor will adjust the dosage. I don't take them anymore - I stopped in April or May. Good luck!

Interesting. I'm on Zonragran for epilepsy and I didn't know it had that off-label use.