I started losing weight when.....

Options
What do you believe was the most significant change you made that led to successful weight (fat) loss? For me it was changing to the leangains style of eating (eating all my calories in an 8 hour window). That has helped me drop 9 lbs of nearly all fat, fat the same number of calories and never feel hungry or deprived. What has been something that worked for you?

Replies

• mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    When I actually admitted that I needed to do it "for real" this time.

I also watched my portions. HUGE difference when you only eat what you are supposed to.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I added more EXERCISE! And lots of it!

And switching up the intensity, duration, and what I'm doing. Doing really intense cardio (including boot-camp workouts) instead of elliptical or treadmill every day has helped me lose more weight than before.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When I stopped eating "diet" food and started eating over 1300 calories of "real" food. Before I came here I ate toast for breakfast, a yogurt and a 100 cal bag of popcorn for lunch, and 4 oz lean protein plus a "non-starchy" veggie for dinner and that was it. The scale would not budge. When I got here and learned about eating more to lose more I started doing that, made sure i was getting enough calories, and the weight started coming off.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    I stopped eating fast food and started running daily. I lost a lot of my weight really quickly when I got serious about it.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started eating within 1 to 1 1/2 hours of when I woke up, no matter what time of day that was.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Crushing emotional stress and horrific depression was the most recent culprit for my weight loss.

Oh, and I started running and walking so I wouldn't lose my mind in the process.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Added more exercise including weight training and upped my protein intake.
  • DreamStriveBe
    DreamStriveBe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started eating a lot of smaller meals throughout the day rather than just a few big meals.

I also started exercising more.
  • hannahbellelechter
    Options
    Keeping alcohol intake to a minimum helps me. And cutting out starchy carbs, sugars, and only drinking water.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As you can see, I'm only down 1 pound but I truly feel things are different this time! I am eating "real" food, not processed "diet" junk. I'm not depriving myself -- if I really crave something I'm going to eat it, truly enjoy it and not feel the least bit bad about it! Of course I'm not going to do that everyday....or every week! But eating one bad thing is not going to make me give up! I'm eating healthier and will therefore feel better. I don't feel hungry. I've tried eating the 1200 cals/day and working out like a fiend and gave up after just a week (although not the working out part) but how can a person expect to burn 600 or so calories running 4-5x/wk plus doing an hour of stengthening exercises 3x/week and only eat 1200 calories! The math just doesn't work out! So I didn't just increase my calorie intake, I just went hog wild eating whatever I wanted. Now I'm at a much more reasonable 1500+ and I don't feel hungry at all. It's great :-)
  • alex_dale
    Options
    Stepped up my cardio
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What do you believe was the most significant change you made that led to successful weight (fat) loss? For me it was changing to the leangains style of eating (eating all my calories in an 8 hour window). That has helped me drop 9 lbs of nearly all fat, fat the same number of calories and never feel hungry or deprived. What has been something that worked for you?

Curious to know how you determined you lost mostly fat. I try to weight lift my butt off to retain muscle.
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda, started drinking water, and actually tracking what I ate made a big difference. Logging my food really makes me accountable.
  • lisagoodayle
    Options
    watched my portions and i dont deny myself the odd treat but always manage to stay under my recommended daily levels x
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

Curious to know how you determined you lost mostly fat. I try to weight lift my butt off to retain muscle.

Having serial measurements done with appropriate techniques. And I was a newbie to weight training remember.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Having serial measurements done with appropriate techniques. And I was a newbie to weight training remember.

Great stuff.
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had WLS but it is only a tool not a quick fix for weight loss like some may think. I have had to change my lifestyle and my eating habits to be successful with weight loss. I have gone from a severe diabetic on 5 shots a day and 2000mg of metformin to it being reversed and taking nothing but vitamins. I am 114 lbs down and gone from a sz 28-30 to a sz 12-14. I have gone from not being able to walk more than 200 ft without stopping to rest and being a couch potato to walking 3-4 mi a day. I have an entire new lease on life and very thankful for better health and wellness. I love MFP. It helps keeps me accountable and I have met some really nice
    people here that have encouraged and supported me. I wish you the best with your weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I cut back on alcohol, carbs, and sodium. I also started eating lots of protein, veggies, and fruit. The increase in calories helped a lot. I'm not one of those 1200-1300 calorie a day kinda ladies. Anywhere from 1500-2100 depending on if it's a workout day or not. I'm a big believer in zig zag style diets where changing up calories confuses the body. This site has been such a huge help in finding out why my weight bounces up and down so much!
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I realized that I could eat all kinds of things and STILL not be satisfied...knew this wasn't "normal". Additionally noticed my sizes on clothes were not suited to me anymore.....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I started losing when I started eating less and working out more.

I REALLY started losing when I stopped taking certain medications.