I started losing weight when.....

Options

Replies

• SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I really started losing when I joined Weight Watcher's...unfortunately it was more expensive than I could afford so now I am trying to do it "alone" (as in not on a paid program-I am not alone with all of you for support!!!)
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest I was 180 pounds 5'8. I stopped eating tons of junk and dropped 20 pounds in about 2 months. I added exercise and ate a little healthier and dropped another 20 in 4-6 months. Then form there it's been a lose gain battle. I can never get below 140. My very lowest was 135 after a 3 day juice cleanse. Now i'm 151. I have noticed eating 250-350 calories every 4 hours helps me a lot. I'm going to stop eating after 8Pm and see if that help me more.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym, hired a trainer and a dietician and started a low carb diet. Losing weight for the first time in 10 years.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    When I cut my carbs,sugar and sodium waaaaay back and bumped up my protein, as prescribed by my Dr. and nutritionist.
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I quit (for the most part) drinking alcohol and I started exercising. I have not changed my eating too much, but I am losing slowly. I'm ok with this.
  • chickielou
    Options
    When I increased my calories and decreased my exercise!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I got serious about health and fitness.
    And my main motivation was that my wife confessed that I was unattractive fat.

She married a guy in peak condition, and after an accident, I bloated up like a blimp, making pathetic excuses all the way.

Instead of sniveling about the situation, I buckled down and got to work.

I lost the weight, won back her affections and feel great.

Today, I have set new goals to be in the best condition of my life. And then I'll divorce her - JUST KIDDING!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    when i started logging cleaning.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I recovered from cancer and discovered I appreciated my life and therefore needed to treat my body with more respect.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i got a smaller plate and only put on there what could fit. filled half of it with veggies.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had WLS but it is only a tool not a quick fix for weight loss like some may think. I have had to change my lifestyle and my eating habits to be successful with weight loss. I have gone from a severe diabetic on 5 shots a day and 2000mg of metformin to it being reversed and taking nothing but vitamins. I am 114 lbs down and gone from a sz 28-30 to a sz 12-14. I have gone from not being able to walk more than 200 ft without stopping to rest and being a couch potato to walking 3-4 mi a day. I have an entire new lease on life and very thankful for better health and wellness. I love MFP. It helps keeps me accountable and I have met some really nice
    people here that have encouraged and supported me. I wish you the best with your weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:

Wow!! Congratulations to you on your loss and all your healthy gains!!!!!! :smile:
  • CA_NC
    CA_NC Posts: 3
    Options
    I focused on each meal being the right meal. Day-by-day. And exercise. Even mild exercise (walking each day) works. I lost 20 pounds in 2010, and gained 13 back in 2011. Now going down again. Learned cannot take the loss for granted. Have to watch the maintenance as close as the day-by-day loss.
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Logging my food intake and exercise intake helps me a lot - I feel accountable! Alos, watching portion sizes is a huge one for me - I love the fact I can really eat whatever I want and lose weight (I just have to watch the amounts, not too hard, really!!!). In almost two months of tracking I have only gone oever three days (and one of them was Christmas day!!!!). I love the sense that logging gives me back the control that was missing inb the equation. I am 6 kilos down so far - have another 10 kilos or so to go. I am already slimmer than I was when I became pregnant!! :)
  • momtimesone
    momtimesone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I cut out the soda and started walking more,My food has not changed much except for less sweats so my lifestyle has not been altered much with the exception of the no soda :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    when I realized that what I was doing wasn't working and started to really eat a lot cleaner, exercise more, make that exercise count and started eating more. I also realized that the scale isn't my friend but the loss of inches is awesome!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Several factors, but for me the biggest concepts were:

1) IIFYM
    2) Leangains/IF
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I started losing when I started eating less and working out more.

I REALLY started losing when I stopped taking certain medications.

I have just stopped taking beta blockers and will be interested to see if it helps with the weight. And also hope my heart problems don't return lol.
  • alapoint89
    Options
    30 day shred!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT FOR JILLIAN MICHAELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    When..... I cut down my sugar intake and learned at what % to work my macros to bulk up for muscle mass with minimal fat gain or cut fat and lose minimal lean muscle mass. Then adding in cardio, this works great for weight loss!! :D
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say that what kept me at it until it was a habit was that I joined a weight loss challenge that cost me money. $30 in and another $20 every time I went up a hlaf a pound (didn't EVER go up). Seriously, though, I'd look at the menu and think, is that margarita gonna cost me *another* ten dollars at the next weigh in? that helpped. And the weigh in's were twice per week, which kept me on. It lasted 12 weeks and by the end I liked running, was back into lifting heavy things (which i always loved) regularly and wanted to keep going. Now, I'm not about the number on the scale, but building lean mass and losing fat. Not sure that an obsession with scale weight over other measurements of fitness is a good idea once you get past a certain point, so now I'm just doing what I was doing and looking forward to doing it.

I NEVER stuck with any plan long enough to lose even 5 pounds. For me, the pressure of the weigh ins and the possibility they would cost me money focused my cheap self on my goals.