Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I started eating mindfully
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Crushing emotional stress and horrific depression was the most recent culprit for my weight loss.

Oh, and I started running and walking so I wouldn't lose my mind in the process.

Ditto
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For me, my real loss came when I combined a low carb lifestyle with food logging and daily weighing. The low carb keeps my from getting hungry, and the food logging and constant weight-checking give me many, many data points to interpret.
  • tonybdavies
    Options
    I started losing weight when I began using MFP, which co-incided with my goals and plans any way, so in a way it was a convergence of significant events and not just me beginning to use MFP.

A history of 2011.

Briefly I had tried fasting, and I had various rules governing my fast but in summary it was painful, and I lacked energy.

In 2011 I have effectively reduced alcohol intake to zero, the entire year I've consumed a total of about 12 beers and a bottle of wine.

I have eliminated sugar entirely from my intake. For a while I drank Sprite zero but now I drink 95% water or green tea which is just water plus green tea anyway. I have eliminated coffee also, for me a great sacrifice as coffee was my favorite drink and treat time break excuse.

Eliminating fast foods has been the major factor in my current weight loss I believe. That and fatty foods.

I eat for comfort, or I used to, so losing the comfort which food gives me is the greatest sacrifice I have had to make. I loved things like butter, cream, ice-cream, pizza, fried chicken, burgers and fries, chocolate.

So in summary I guess I could say I've been chipping away at change for a while, or at least during 2011 and the final jig-saw piece came with finding a system which worked for me. I guess MFP helped with that. But it has been a number of small steps culminating in the end of this year when I have lost 12 kg / 24 lb in the month of December. That's 12 kg in 4 weeks. But for the preceding entire 11 months of 2011 my weight sat at 102 - 104 kg.

This time I sense the difference. Now I have energy, the system I follow is simple and straight forward. I have a base-line calorie menu and I know if I add to it my weight may raise slightly, but in the end I'm still in a positive EV situation. I can see the end of my weight loss coming up soon, maybe in another 2 weeks I'll be at fat levels of 10% at which point I'll simply continue gym work and build on those abs. :-)
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    For me it's when I started logging calories. That discipline alone inspired me to exercise and has brought about more awareness and effort.

I think we all agree that unless you know what you're eating and how much of it, then you're probably eating too much.
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    When I stopped deiting and started to improve my food choices along with adding regular exercise.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    When I decided to switch from a rinky-dink gym with limited and broken equipment, to a gym with .. well while still small, it has more equipment that works perfectly. Also the staff is thrice as friendly and suuuuuper supportive, so that helps.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    When I decided, "good enough" wasn't good enough.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I ate smaller portions and walked a few miles every day.
  • diiiimond
    diiiimond Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i realized that food should be used as fuel and not entertainment, a pick me up, or as comfort after a rough day. that made it easier to eat what i needed and not what i liked.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I got a food scale and it really hit me how many calories were in the foods that I ate. I realized that my previous logging had been so underestimated, I was actually eating a lot more then I thought I was. Never again!
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I began to workout more and eat less..controlled portions.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    my cousin phoned me to tell me my face looked fat in my current christmas photo (2 years ago now) and anyone who knows me knows that my face always stayed relatively "thin" in comparison to my body.....so this was a major thing and it was absolutely the reason I started this journey!!

I am soooooooooooooo glad she made the call!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PamelaB43
    PamelaB43 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What do you believe was the most significant change you made that led to successful weight (fat) loss? For me it was changing to the leangains style of eating (eating all my calories in an 8 hour window). That has helped me drop 9 lbs of nearly all fat, fat the same number of calories and never feel hungry or deprived. What has been something that worked for you?
  • PamelaB43
    PamelaB43 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was eating out of being bored or emotion. I also was working out and not getting results. Also I stopped the fast food and paid attention to what I was eating and the amount of what I was eating. I stepped up my water intake and that's when I started slowly noticing a change. I also am eating leaner and healthier and eating several small meals a day. When there is a "cheat" I ask myself is it worth it. I do it in moderation because youmhave to live life, but I am more aware now:smile:
  • MissMisery1313
    Options
    Keeping track of my calories, eating more fruit, and adding more cardio.
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Our biggest change was cutting out fast food, keep in mind I'm not calling it all evil heck I work in the industry just that me and hubby know it would be a dangerous road if we stepped foot in mcdonalds again its easier for me to know its not a possibilty and if i have the calories to use to eat out id rather do Chinese buffet with tons of broccoli and mushrooms anyday :)