Just like my mom...

Options
I have tried to lose weight numerous times and can never seem to get it right. I am the queen of all or nothing and need to find a middle ground. I love my mother, but as far as I can remember she has been on a diet and has yo-yo'ed my whole life. She loves fad diets and has tried them all. I have at least not gone down that path and refuse to try any diet that is extreme as I truly want this to be a lifestyle. I have this great fear that I will forever be like this and will always be on a 'diet'.
To make things harder, I have a husband that is naturally skinny and can eat whatever he wants. Whenever I try to be healthy he either complains about the food or gets upset when I don't want to eat what he cooked. I am not creative at all with food and get exhausted when trying to find exciting 'healthy' choices for us to have for dinner.
I just had our first baby as welll, he is now 12 weeks. I gained 45 pds during the pregnancy and have lost 35 of it...but I was 15 pds overweight when I got pregnant so I ideally would like to lose 25 pds. I look at other members on here and think that 25 pds isn't that bad and should be a breeze...but it still seems like such a struggle with me.
I would appreciate any support and will be looking for groups to join to keep me motivated and for new ideas. For starters - I would love any advice from any non-extremists on what you are doing for diet and exercise. I have limited time so I plan on working out 3-4 times per week (I am still breastfeeding) and just being smart about what I am eating - but will probably need a meal plan that isn't ridiculous to keep me on track!

Replies

• chichi74
    chichi74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eat less junk food, log everything and appreciate yourself more...you will be surprised what you can achieve, if you believe in yourself...As far as your husband is concerned, you don't have to necessarily eat different things, just less of them...If you do that, he won't complain and you will save on grocery bill. Good luck!
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    my mum was exactly the same and I can remember her always sprouting off about how little she had eaten all day - and she still does the same thing.

My advice to you is to be kind to yourself, believe that you can do this because you CAN. Increase water consumption, eat less sugar/junk food, decrease meal sizes and snack sizes.
    Chopped veges are a great snack!
    Raw unsalted nuts with dried fruit are too.
    Flavoured Rice crackers - are yum!
    Be aware that protein satisfies hunger very well. Increase it.
    Learn to enjoy herbal tea. Just by itself. Especially at night after dinner.

Good luck - you can do it sensibly!