how big of a deficit is too big?

Options
Hey all! So my fiance' and I are indifferent when it comes to calories in/ calories out. I burned off everything I ate today in the gym+...which mind you wasn't my goal- but I feel good and contented and I don't want to eat past 6:00pm. He has expressed that he's not sure if that is "healthy"... but when you're in the "overweight" category for BMI is it really that bad to do this a couple of times a week?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hey all! So my fiance' and I are indifferent when it comes to calories in/ calories out. I burned off everything I ate today in the gym+...which mind you wasn't my goal- but I feel good and contented and I don't want to eat past 6:00pm. He has expressed that he's not sure if that is "healthy"... but when you're in the "overweight" category for BMI is it really that bad to do this a couple of times a week?

So your net calories for the day are 0? He's right, that's not healthy. Eventually you'll stop losing weight. You metabolic rate will slow to a halt and you will feel like hell. Find out your TDEE and subtract 10-20%. That is an appropriate deficit.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Dbl post
  • Hi Ms. Carrie! Hey I am so thankful to you for helping me with this. I found out that my range is 245-491 calorie deficit a day...I can totally see what you mean about eventually this would be TERRIBLE!!!:0 Thanks again girl!:) I will stick to this healthier range.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Impossible if the in-out balance is zero not to lose weight.It would be against the laws of phisics.One day doesn't count but on the long run it is bad.
  • Hey Andrej! Thanks a bunch for the input! Hope you have a fantastic new year's!:)