New and fail many diets already. Need HELP!!!

Options
Hi!!! I am 34 years old, mother of 2 boys. Have been trying to lose weight for the past 2 years and unable to succesfully do it. Everytime that I start a diet I get very enthusiastic about it and as soon as I get stock on the weight loss I get frustrated and start eating like crazy. I need some help and motivation on this journey since I decided I need to stick with a plan and make it work for me.

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    wow, you just described my rut! Welcome to MFP. I will send you a friend request!
  • cansmith80
    Options
    I started out on my new diet today. I did extremely well until I arrived home from work and decided to go on a crazy eating binge. I felt extremely guilty afterwards, but tomorrow is a new day and I rely on MFP to keep me going. I am adding friends like crazy just so that I have extra support.
  • Yariemar
    Yariemar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks...hopefully this time we will make it!!!
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Well welcome n Congrats on continuing to get back on the wagon...what diet r u doing now...I would just say do whatever works best for u and make up in your mind this may be a "diet" for now but that u r going to have to make a lifestyle change so that u can lose weight successfuly and keep it off...make a top 10 list of why u want to lose weight and 10 reasons why u want to keep the weight off and make copies and pictures to put up around the house to be a constant visual reminder of why u r on this journey;) U can do it!!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ok so the first change you need to make is to realise that there is no such thing as a diet. If it's not maintainable for the rest of your life it's not worth doing and will probably not keep whatever you lose off long term.

LIFESTYLE CHANGE. I'm pretty black and white with my motivation, but if you want to try and be kick started with this new attitude feel free to check out my profile and join me :)
  • Yariemar
    Yariemar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It happens...but tomorrow will be a new day...don't just continue in binge eating just because youn think you mess up...just pretend like it never happen.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I am 34 years old, mother of 2 boys. Have been trying to lose weight for the past 2 years and unable to succesfully do it. Everytime that I start a diet I get very enthusiastic about it and as soon as I get stock on the weight loss I get frustrated and start eating like crazy. I need some help and motivation on this journey since I decided I need to stick with a plan and make it work for me.
    It's time to stop dieting and just begin the long process of changing bad habits into what will become a healthy lifestyle.
    People who fail this die fat.

You can rise above your old routines if the notion of lifestyle can be seared into your conscientiousness.
    Just start logging in your food, exercising and let it happen SLOWLY over the next year.

Lose 1 lb per week.

Good luck!
  • jsadilek
    jsadilek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today.
  • Athena205
    Athena205 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds familiar! I could use the extra motivation, too. Friend request headed your way and remember...ONE DAY AT A TIME! If you mess up, you mess up. That doesn't mean give up. Feel free to add me, too.
  • lawson305
    Options
    It's time to stop dieting and just begin the long process of changing bad habits into what will become a healthy lifestyle.

You can rise above your old routines if the notion of lifestyle can be seared into your conscientiousness.
    Just start logging in your food, exercising and let it happen SLOWLY over the next year.

Lose 1 lb per week.

Good luck!

AMEN! Preach it Brother!!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! I have also had many failed diets, and after three kids, I want to lose the weight for good! Add me if you want to, and we can help motivate each other!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    It's so important to give yourself some grace. You can do this and I believe in your ability to do this. This is a journey not a sprint. Your taking your life into your hands to be the best you that you can be. Your changing old habits. Replacing them with good ones. We can't truly remove our old habits but we can replace them. What works for you may not work for everyone. Your an individual. I lost my weight and have kept it off. 3 months and 34lbs. I had to do a calorie deficit for the early part or my weight won't budge. 1000 cals most days and then as I get down with exercise I was able to up them. Make sure you post motivation all over the place. Remember you are a treasured gift, so treat your self worthy of being one. I believe you will make it. Some people have to eat more to lose, I'm just not one that this way of eating works for. Also when I would crave sweets when I started out, I'd force myself to eat some fruit and that was awesome on the cravings. I am one that has to watch sugar intake, so this too would limit my foods. But you can eat fewer calories by eating more if you eat right. 1 cup of cauliflower broccoli is only 35 cals. A potato 145g is only about 100 cals. And a turkey burger at 1/3lb is only 200 cals vs a 1/4lb burger at about 310 cals. Fat free refried beans is a huge protein staple for me and I do allot of salads. I've learned to back off on the dressings witch can be loaded with sugar. I hope this helps you. It's not always about quantity of food as much as quality. I have a huge appreciation of those that can eat allot and lose weight. You peoples are awesome. I wish you the best. Have a wonderful journey.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you. I had a few weeks were I binge ate, felt terrible and thought to myself. I'm over this! I decided to give myself a 4 week challange. I aimed to lose 5 kg (11 Ibs) Turned into a year long journey and I lost more than I thought possible =)

P210110_1217.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

375464_10150360325431580_523161579_8756842_547460926_n.jpg

Number 1. This is not a diet. You can eat whatever you like within your calorie count.
    Number 2. Just tell yourself you are going to try it out for 4 weeks and STAY with it for 4 weeks. That means if you slip up, you get back into the saddle the next meal (not the next day!)
    Number 3. Be realistic. If you don't usually exercise, then don't promise yourself an hour walk every day. You're setting yourself up for failure! Set exercise goals that are ACHEIVEABLE.
    Number 4. Be happy with every victory, no matter how small. A small loss is still a loss and after a while they definately add up!
    Number 5. Be organised. It is your weapon against excuses. Pack lunches, snacks (just in case) and log your food.

Lastly... good luck!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options

Lose 1 lb per week.

Good luck!

This. Change your eating habits and even do it slowly. Start week one by saying I am going to eat one salad every day (leave off the processed dressings). Week two I will drink xxx water and increase it by xxx every week until I get to xxx. Week 3 I will eat vegetarian 1 day a week. Week 4 I won't eat cookies or sweets.

I think you get the idea.