Logging weight training while at the gym

Options
When you're actually at the gym, how do you keep track of your weights/reps, etc? I'm reading New Rules and those paper logs they suggest just seem clunky (a clipboard, really?). Any good ipod/iphone apps you'd recommend?

Replies

• nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have mainly only done cardio before, which isn't as difficult to trac, but you can try the app BodyFitness. It also shows you how to do the lifts, etc. let me know if it helps. I will begin weight stuff once my calories are increased a bit.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Not sure of any apps. I track it here.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Find your one rep max and start down from there. Then sure you can write it down. Start off lifting light then after some months go light then medium etc.. After you have done this repetition constantly you will remember your stats automatically after a while.

Edit: Light sets for me are usually always around 5 sets and I do 10-15 reps. When I go meduim I do 5 sets with 10-12 reps When I get into heavy lifting my sets 3-4 and reps 6-8. You should always do a warm up set with light weights to get the blood rushing into the muscle and to stretch the muscle(warm it up) :D
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Look at an app called JEFIT, it is like this site but for strenght and cardio training. You can program your own routines or download them from the jefit.com website and you can log the weight, reps, and sets as you workout. Love the app and I hate having to lug around a notebook top write it in. It also has a timer you can set so when you log your weight and reps it starts the timer for however long you set it for. Its on apple and android
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Look at an app called JEFIT, it is like this site but for strenght and cardio training. You can program your own routines or download them from the jefit.com website and you can log the weight, reps, and sets as you workout. Love the app and I hate having to lug around a notebook top write it in. It also has a timer you can set so when you log your weight and reps it starts the timer for however long you set it for. Its on apple and android

Sounds perfect. I'll check it out. Thank you!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    +1 Jetfit
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    Paper is going to be your best bet long term but the best iPhone app I found was GymBuddy. It's flexible and has lot of nice tools.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Maybe I am old fashioned, I have a notebook and a pen and log it when I work out.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use a notebook. It's fast. It's easier to look at pastg work outs (flip the page) and see what weight I was using last timel. I can make notes, comments for next time. I tried my iphone, but it just took too long. Using a notebook I can jot it down and move on ot the next exercise.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I downloaded JeFit and quite like it. I'll also try paper to compare/contrast. Thanks for the tips!