Stretching, Before and After?

Options
I am a beginning runner and am able to run about 3 miles continuously. My question is about stretching. I hear people say you should stretch before and after. I haven't been stretching before, but just doing a 10 min walk to warm up, running, and then stretching at the end of the run. Yesterday, I decided to stretch before and was miserable the whole run. I'm not sure if I overstretched or what. Then, someone told me you shouldn't stretch before the run b/c your muscles are "cold". So, I googled and have found a lot of conflicting information. So, I just wanted some clarity. Should I stretch before running and if I don't is that okay???

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    They tell me at Curves to Stretch AFTER. Warm Up is a gentle, or slow walk or doing the machines at an easy pace for about 5 minutes.
    :heart: Personnally I would listen to my body. Since you were miserable when you stretched Before your run, I wouldn't do it. But that is just me.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yep - current research supports a simple warm up (jog/walk etc) and a proper stretch post-workout.

Stretching before exercise has increased risk of injuries because muscles aren't warmed up, and stretching a cold muscle will make it tense up rather than warm up.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    Personally, I feel it's better to stretch before and after. I do before and after when I run, and I used to dance and I would always stretch before and after. Although, I think it's more important to stretch after than before. Do what feels the best for you.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I was watching a fitness show on TV one day. The subject was on stretching. She described stretching cold muscle as follows. You take a piece of taffy out of the fridge and slam it on the countertop, it breaks into little pieces. Take a piece out and warm it between your hands, then slam it on the counter top, it does not shatter.

Warm up your muscles before, and stretch after you finish your workout.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Warm up your muscles before, and stretch after you finish your workout.

I'd agree with this.

I change my routine nearly monthly, and get sore the first few days of a new exercise.

I found 'warming up' or going through the actions/motions with lighter weights a few times to start is enough to get me ready to workout.

Afterwards, I'd say I was LESS sore the days i stretched the targeted muscles afterwards.

Usually during something like p90x where my body got super sore every day for like 2 weeks...I experimented with different stretching and warmup techniques.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I used to run 5-10 miles everyday before I injured my knee and getting back into it I find that if I do a light warm up, stretch, run, and then stretch again after I avoid knee pain but if I don't stretch at all prior to my run then I have very sore knees the next day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    DO NOT do STATIC stretching before any exercise. It's better to do DYNAMIC STRETCHING. Static stretching can injure muscle fibers especially when COLD. It's like stretching a cold rubber band.
    Static stretching AFTER is what you do after exercise session is done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Run easy for a mile or two and then stretch (once your muscles are warm and you have cracked a sweat). Stretch after you run. Static stretching of cold muscles is ungood.
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Before you should do some dynamic stretches like high knees, then a slow warm up jog for a mile or so, then walk out your run.... THEN stretch! =)
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Oh.... I have never heard of different types of stretching. I will google them. Thanks.
    DO NOT do STATIC stretching before any exercise. It's better to do DYNAMIC STRETCHING. Static stretching can injure muscle fibers especially when COLD. It's like stretching a cold rubber band.
    Static stretching AFTER is what you do after exercise session is done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It's always good to get other people's opinions. I appreciate it. Now, off to google different types of stretching. Who knew???
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    There are two types of stretching... Dynamic and Static.

Dynamic stretching is more like a warmup than anything. You would warm up gently for 5 minutes and then do some light stretches before carrying on your workout.

Static stretching is done after the workout and is always a good idea to help promote flexibility and healing. These are the stretches most people are familiar with.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    There are two types of stretching... Dynamic and Static.

There's technically more - but PNF and ballistics are not as commonly used in day-to-day exercising.
    Particularly ballistics - that one shouldn't be used unless you know what you're doing cause it can cause injury.

Contract-relax is a type of PNF that you can use if you're lacking flexibility, but do so when the muscle is warmed up.