Do you hate slow walkers?

Options
I do! This guy has the right idea when he walks around with a bicycle bell to get slow walkers out of the way. You can watch the video here: http://www.mywalletisfatnotme.com/2011/12/are-you-that-slow-walker.html

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Really... I think it's kind of sad that this is an o.k. topic for you. I'm a medium - slow walker, but I don't give a rip if people don't like it as I've had knee surgery and it's painful to walk sometimes. Hope you never have an issue such as this.
  • dmouse0225
    Options
    I do!!! I mean, people can walk at their own pace, and that is cool. But if you know I am behind you, and you see me walking at a fast pace every day, can you just move a foot or two to the right!?? Jeesh.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'll will try to walk faster if you hold my oxygen tank as it gets heavy !
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm a fast walker, but I don't expect people to move out of the way for me. I'll find a way around them. My boyfriend always pokes fun at me for walking so fast, but he keeps up just fine. ;)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope, I'm thrilled to see anyone out and walking, even if they're dragging butt on the 7k trail up at the nature preserve, there's lots of room to get around them...

what I do hate is the people in the stores that will stop in the middle of an aisle with no way around them and start catching up with their buddy who just came around the corner or called them on their cell, standing there no good way around, or those who walk in and then when you try to step around them are circling paying attention to the signs but not just standing in their spot and looking they're moving where they are looking... Or shopping cart on one side and they stand beside the cart to pick items off the shelf on the other side, can't get by them. If I have to leave my cart it's just down enough that people can go by me between me and the cart in either direction, or if I'm standing waiting for someone I block the "spaces" in the center of the aisle between displays rather than the aisles themselves.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No, why would I hate someone who is out walking at their own pace? It's not my business why they are walking slow or fast, I think they are doing well to be out and about.
    I agree that it's annoying when people take up the whole path - but that's not about their speed, its about their manners!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people walk slow for a good reason. I have a chronic knee problem which occasionally flares up. If I walk quickly when it is doing so, I will slip and fall on the first thing that is the least bit slippery or uneven, so rather than my usual fast walk, I walk slow, apparently at least some of you would "hate" me for it. Further, I think using a bell to get walker out of your way is just rude.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do! This guy has the right idea when he walks around with a bicycle bell to get slow walkers out of the way. You can watch the video here: http://www.mywalletisfatnotme.com/2011/12/are-you-that-slow-walker.html
    That'd not work in south Philly.

You need to fire a pistol in the air for the same effect....:happy:
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To be honest, no because im a medium pace walker and i know people are naturally faster than i am. but if they are in a hurry to get somewhere they can politely say excuse me and i'll move to one side
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about checking into anger managment therapy? Clearly if that makes you mad you have issues.
  • lonestarlet_67
    Options
    Wow! This kinda floored me. Why should a slow walker have to move over for you?? Can't you go around them just as easily as they can move over? People walk at all different paces for all kinds of reasons and, in my opinion, the slow walkers have just as much right to the walking areas as the fast walkers. Just saying.
  • manjingirl
    manjingirl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow! This kinda floored me. Why should a slow walker have to move over for you?? Can't you go around them just as easily as they can move over? People walk at all different paces for all kinds of reasons and, in my opinion, the slow walkers have just as much right to the walking areas as the fast walkers. Just saying.
    Yep, I'm a fast walker/slow runner and never expect anyone to get out of my way. I think the anger management idea has some merit. But maybe the OP was having fun? Haven't watched the video, is it a joke?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you're a fast driver too. :laugh:

People have their paces. You have no idea if they are recovering from a heart ailment, surgery, injury, etc. Maybe you should walk in areas that won't disrupt your pace.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

You need to fire a pistol in the air for the same effect....:happy:
    Maybe that's what the Eagles need.......................incentive to play well.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    In the mall on a busy day when I am trying to speed shop I do...........but in general no.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    really a bell...one word...LOSER!
  • MelJolly
    MelJolly Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do!!! I mean, people can walk at their own pace, and that is cool. But if you know I am behind you, and you see me walking at a fast pace every day, can you just move a foot or two to the right!?? Jeesh.

Then it isn't the SLOW walker you dislike. It is the inconsiderate walker. In my opinion, I know this war is a hard one to fight. My pace is mine, yours is yours. I'm not going to judge. I'm here to encourage, and look for encouragement. Again, in my opinion, whether you pass on the right or on the left, make sure you smile, wish them a good day, and encourage.
  • branflake5
    Options
    I am naturally a fast walker, I really don't even realize I am walking fast until who ever I'm walking with asks me to slow down, usually my fiance. I do get aggravated when I am stuck behind someone walking extremely slow, so I have to find a way to get around them lol. My fiance always asks me why I'm in such a hurry.
  • loveliisa
    Options
    i annoy myself with how fast i walk! it doesn't make sense sometimes because i become out of breath haha.. but yes on days when i'm a little sleep deprived, i tend to get irritated by others who aren't in such a rush.. esp when they cause traffic! of course it depends on who, when, and where..
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Slower traffic keep to the right!!!

I get annoyed with sidewalk hogs, but would never judge anyone for their pace... they may have some disability or are recovering from surgery or they are just naturally slower... dont' be a hater!! :flowerforyou:

I'm naturally a fast walker and have to be careful not to run people over!