I passed out...at the gym

Options
Did my normal thing, ran outside, 3 miles, it was cold, went back in the gym to stretch and hit the shower, I got up off the floor and just passed out, so embarrassing:blushing: some nice guys came over to help me, and I'm fine. That has never happened to me before. I don't wan't to do that again, so any ideas on why? Was it the body temp going from cold to hot and still cooling down from my run. I'm going to have to put a bag over my head so I can go back! Bummer and boy do I feel stupid:embarassed:

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    MAke sure you eat enough to fuel your body at the gym.. and get enough fluids! That would be my number 1 guess
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I agree. You probably didn't have enough to eat. I have to watch what I eat as well. Can't be anything with sugar in it. I feel like I'm going to pass out part way through my workout if I do.

My daughter did the same thing though. Our first workout with the trainer, we had just finished and she said "Mom, I don't feel good." She sounded so calm I didn't think anything of it. She walked towards the bubbler to get a drink and passed out cold. She hit her head on the bubbler on her way down. They called an ambulance and she had to get stiches. She was so embarrassed, but people were so nice when she went back. In her case it turned out to be some meds she was on. They were lowering her blood pressure to much.
  • StephanieNP
    StephanieNP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Glad you're ok, but talk about embarrassing. I have come thisclose to passing out twice now with my trainer. Both times are when I hadn't had enough food prior to our workout and when we were doing big lower body sets. I would make sure you're eating enough and get enough glucose in you. And keep something like Gatorade or Powerade close by. It will get sugar into your body fast, which is often the culprit (I'm not a dr. YMMV. This comes from my research and my very, very knowledgable trainer.) For those early morning workouts when I can't eat that early (or if I oversleep!) I like to fall back on the Gatorade Pre-Fuel packets. They're like Gatorade Capri-Suns. I drink one 30 minutes before my workout and I've never had any problem when I do that. It's 100 calories and I don't like to drink Gatorade on the regular, but it's better than throwing up or passing out at the gym!

Now I keep a Gatorade on hand just in case, and my trainer knows to direct the cutest EMT my way if needed. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Did my normal thing, ran outside, 3 miles, it was cold, went back in the gym to stretch and hit the shower, I got up off the floor and just passed out, so embarrassing:blushing: some nice guys came over to help me, and I'm fine. That has never happened to me before. I don't wan't to do that again, so any ideas on why? Was it the body temp going from cold to hot and still cooling down from my run. I'm going to have to put a bag over my head so I can go back! Bummer and boy do I feel stupid:embarassed:

It could have been worse--you could have passed out while IN the shower and had the guys help you up (or maybe that would have been better).

Seriously, I"m not sure I have the sequence exactly right, but it sounds like you may have just gotten up too fast.
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    I'll ask you what the paramedics asked me about 50 times when I passed out at the gym.......are you pregnant? I wasn't either! It was my first day at a new gym and I hadn't worked out properly in about a month because I'd been busy moving. I was also in a hurry and didn't cool down very well before going from the treadmill to weights. Then I got upset because they wouldn't let me do walking lunges anywhere in the gym. The mix of my blood boiling, being out of routine and not cooling down did it for me! I also am "prone to passing out" as a cardiologist put it and frequently get light headed when I stand up too fast. If it happens again, just don't let the gym call the ambulance....I insisted I didn't need one, and had to pay $600 just for the ambulance!

I hope everything is okay and you just stood up a little too fast!
  • Modari
    Modari Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This summer I passed out after working out (I was in the library though and not the gym - maybe a little less embarrassing). I went to the doctor and had my iron levels checked. Turned out that my iron was very very low and I did not have enough iron in my blood to sustain how much exercise I was doing. I'm on iron supplements now and am much better - no more chronic fatigue or dizzy spells.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    This summer I passed out after working out (I was in the library though and not the gym - maybe a little less embarrassing). I went to the doctor and had my iron levels checked. Turned out that my iron was very very low and I did not have enough iron in my blood to sustain how much exercise I was doing. I'm on iron supplements now and am much better - no more chronic fatigue or dizzy spells.

^^this^^ It's usually the first thing my doc looks for in me!
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    years ago i went to the tanning bed (no not exercising there) spent twenty minutes in and got very very hot. while getting dressed afterward i couldnt believe how hot i was, well i wanted to hurry up and get to my car so i could sit down so i hurried out the door into the winter air prob like 30 degrees, and passed out about 10 steps away from the door once the cold air hit me. i think huge temp changes can definately make you pass out.

Edit to say: Isn't it so funny that we are actually SUPER embarrased by passing out? lol im so embarrassed that my body shut down!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I do feel better, just embarrassed. I will spend more time cooling down and get up slower from now on. Thank God I am not pregnant, I'm 42 and have 5 kids, pretty sure I am done. I did eat before I went running, have to or I can't run as well or for as long. It could be the iron thing and I will be getting that checked out. You guys are the best :flowerforyou: