18 and needs encouragement

Options
Hi, I'm 18 and need buddies for encouragement. I need to lose serious weight and I don't have any examples of health in my life. All of my family is big and I don't know what I'm doing. Any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• dobrien323
    dobrien323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm 18 too and a have lot of diabetics and larger family members as well. I just started this MFP a couple of days ago. I think if you stick with it and put in hard work you will do great. I've seen tons of success stories on here and it's very inspiring. I'm trying to drop about 40 pounds in the next 6 months and it will take a lot of patience and discipline but I'm ready for it. I've been overweight for the last 11 years or so. You have a lot of people here who want you to succeed.
  • Taratruex
    Taratruex Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Im in it for the long haul, im on daily. Hit my 95th day yesterday. If you want to you can add me as a friend. Going from 259 to 145 is my goal.

One word of advice. Patience.

You have made the hardest decision to get on the horse, believe me i know. Ive fallen off multiple times, but the most important part is getting back on. Christmas was hard for me and had three days of overeating. But i got back on. You can do this! BTW im 25.
  • morgiedoll333
    morgiedoll333 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 19 and definitely trying to encourage my friends, roommates and family to have better health habits because I've always been surrounded by people who eat anything and everything they want :/

Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am older than all of you! :)
    No seriously though...there is A LOT to learn. But, this place is an amazing start.
    Some tips and tricks:
    Don't cut your calories too much! Many people get on here and decide to try to lose too much weight too fast. It took years to put it on...it may take years to get it off and keep it off! This site is about being HEALTHY in the long run. NOT starving yourself thin in the short term. Make manageable goals....start off with a max of 2 pounds per week loss on your settings. If you find that those calorie restrictions are too much...then change it to 1.5 or 1 per week. Slow and steady wins the race in this game!

Log it all!! Do not lie to yourself. Put every single little thing in your diary....if you go over for the day...who cares??? It will take some learning to figure out portions and the types of foods thatget you the macros (protein, carbs, fats) that you need in the proper amounts.

Don't give up if you go over 1 day or even 3 or 4 days in a row. Each day is a new day. 1 day of eating 100 or 200 calories over your goal doesn't ruin everything. It takes 3500 extra calories to equal 1 pound. So, keep that all in perspective.

I've been at this one year today. I have learned a lot...and am still learning new things ever day. And you will too! Just keep it up and do your best!
    Feel free to add me as a friend....if you don't mind old(er) people! lol