gym workout advice

hi fps I have a fitness questions I uped my running from 30 to 45 mins last month and increased the speed. Ive been doing it fine the main downside being having more trouble to do weights cause of being more tried. I dont want to really but should cut down the time and or have a sperate gym time to do weights
p.s Im also trying to maintain my weight

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    It sounds like you do cardio first with weightlifting after? If so then you should seriously consider to have them on separate days or have your cardio session after weightlifting.
  • I start with the long run then do wieghts but tend to be tried so find it hard to do for long
  • PBJunky
    I start with the long run then do wieghts but tend to be tried so find it hard to do for long

By the time you get to weights your glycogen stores have already been depleted, switch it around and do weights first and then cardio.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    It's better to do weights first from a safety standpoint as well - lifting with already tired muscles tends to lead to bad form and increases your risk for injuries.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    As the previous poster said, either switch the order or split them into separate workouts. If you really want to hang on to that order for some reason, try eating something high in energy between them, like a date or two and a few almonds.
  • Do what you want when you want. :-P
  • K guess I try and do it a sperate day seems the best soulition ty for the help
  • PBJunky
    Do what you want when you want. :-P

Bad Advice!
  • I divide my cardio in half and do weights in the middle. Just a thought.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    I'm with the last poster, don't have time to split the workouts into separate days so split my cardio in two.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,186 Member
    It has already been said here and its the only advice!

Do weights first, and then cardio after. This is how I do it, if I was to do cardio firs then my weights I too struggle, yet the other way around I am fine :D

Good luck mate
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    hi fps I have a fitness questions I uped my running from 30 to 45 mins last month and increased the speed. Ive been doing it fine the main downside being having more trouble to do weights cause of being more tried. I dont want to really but should cut down the time and or have a sperate gym time to do weights
    p.s Im also trying to maintain my weight
    You might want to consider taking some of those classes that incorporate resistance and cardio - like Body Pump.

Me? I hate that stuff.
    In general I do 90 minuted of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.

I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.

And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back

I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

And I have FUN! That's important.

Good luck!
  • I'm not a pro personal trainner but as far i have read in diferent article, its recomend to do your cardio after lifting weight, due your body its already amped up and your cardio would be more productive.. thats my opinion, but like the chick said above.. do what you think its best for you :)
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    I do it in intervals, seems to work pretty well.