Help

Options
I need help in getting my activity in each week. I really do not want to do anything. This has an effect on my back, knees, ankles, and motivation. I try so hard to do something, but I talk myself out of doing it. What should I do? How can I motivate myself to do it?

Replies

• FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I can only walk 15 min and im out of breath
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I seriously have to force myself. Just do it. Then I feel better about myself/what i eat/how i look/ etc etc etc etc etc. haha... but seriously, I wake up at 4:30 to work out- do you know how many times I've just about changed my alarm to an hour later? Then I tell myself- "NO- just get up and do it!" I have to kick myself in the butt a bit. Another option is to find someone that you will commit to working out with, this way you may feel you don't want to let them down. Trust me, when I was 218 lbs, I could barely move. I ached (especially my knees!!!!!!!!) Now I can walk 3 miles and do an hour's worth of workout in one day. Always remember- if you change nothing, nothing will change. Good luck. It's been the hardest for me to get motivated, but now I LOVE it and look forward to the only "me" time I get in a day. Best wishes!!!! ;)
  • PamelaB43
    PamelaB43 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! One step at a time. One day at a time. Start with 15 minutes then slowly gradually add minutes to your walk maybe ever so often add another 5 minutes when you're use to it.( Do you have an ipod?) Walking and runnning can be boring at least to me without music but maybe that will motivate you.Just do a little bit everyday and as your body adapts you will get use to it:smile:
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options

It's easy to tell you, but much harder for you to actually do. Just do it! If you can only walk for 15 mins, do it when you first wake up. Then do it just before you have your lunch. Then do it just before you have your dinner. If you do this every day, you're getting 45 mins EVERY DAY. You could even skip one walk and still have 30 mins a day. Each week, increase by 5 minutes (if not each week.. when you feel like you can.. ) and you'll be up to an hour before you know it. Clearly, you won't be doing an hour 3 times a day - because you can combine all your workouts into one once you get past 30 or so minutes at a time.

Remember to push yourself. Don't hurt yourself, but remember that most of the time, especially at the start of working out, your head gives out before your body does. If you can go for an extra 30 seconds, push yourself.

We all suck at the start. Don't think that because you can only go for 15 minutes that you're worth less than anyone else. Everyone has to start somewhere. Yesterday, I walked a trail near me. It's on a mountain - and you walk for about 800 metres up quite a steep hill, and then there are 1000 stairs built into the mountainside. About halfway up the first part (the hill) a girl with only one leg and crutches PASSED me. It took me nearly two hours to go up and come back down. She passed me TWICE (like, went up and down and then did it again). I felt like the biggest fattest sack of ***t for being passed twice by someone with only one leg... until I realised that I had just walked 800 metres up hill and climbed 1000 stairs. Yes, it took me three times as long as other people. Yes, I stopped a million times. Yes, my heart was going crazy, I was sweating like a pig, and I wanted to die on numerous occasions. BUT I FINISHED IT. Celebrate the little victories.
  • Bullfrog2957
    Bullfrog2957 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's easy to tell you, but much harder for you to actually do. Just do it! If you can only walk for 15 mins, do it when you first wake up. Then do it just before you have your lunch. Then do it just before you have your dinner. If you do this every day, you're getting 45 mins EVERY DAY. You could even skip one walk and still have 30 mins a day. Each week, increase by 5 minutes (if not each week.. when you feel like you can.. ) and you'll be up to an hour before you know it. Clearly, you won't be doing an hour 3 times a day - because you can combine all your workouts into one once you get past 30 or so minutes at a time.
    Great advice. Zig Ziglar spins a great story about making it to his neighbors mailbox one day, then the next mailbox the next, then the street light, etc. Its not about leaving your door and running the Boston Marathon.... its about leaving your door... the and is up to you. Keep it up.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The advice above is good and here is a way to start, when you are watching tv get up and walk in place during the commercial breaks. If you do you';; get 18-20 mins per hour of programing. After a few weeks you'll find yourself wanting to do more. As for motivation, go to a full length mirror, take your clothes off and have a good look. If you like what you see if you're comfortable with it, then keep doing what you're doing, if not start walking. Do what you can when you can every chance you get.
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I walk 15 min a day, 3x a day, and I had to work up to that. Now, I can honestly say that its become habit to just get up during my breaks and lunch and walk. I can't just sit anymore during my breaks. When I walk at work, it usually gives me more energy to work out some more when I get home, and put in that Zumba tape. I did what one of the people stated and my goal was 1 mail box at a time, and they're not too close together, just push yourself one more mailbox. I think thats a great suggestion. Try and do it several times a day if you can. Its easy when your sitting around at home to just sit and watch tv or play on the computer. Much harder to make yourself get off your butt and walk, when it hurts to begin with!
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to say I agree with everyone on here. You just got to get up and do it. Losin weight takes time, you have to change the way you eat and the way you think about things. 15 mins is a great startin point, if you are just startin out. Believe it or not you will get to the point where you walkin and then look at your watch and it has been 30 mins or longer. Also, when you go to a place that has stairs take that instead of takin the elivator, it may take a little bit longer, but at least you are able to say you did it when you get to the floor you are tryin for. Take your time, don't rush things and you will see results. I hope the best for you, have a great day and good luck.
  • jeffrey71
    Options
    Melanie,

All of the folks posting here are right. Just get up and get going. I can tell you from experience that it MUST begin above the shoulders! You, and only you, can get yourself truly motivated and beginning the journey. It really is a journey and it takes time. From my personal experience and with working and now training with others your position is very consistent with most people undertaking the task of weight loss and a healthy life style. We all want it fast, easy, and now. It just does not happen that way. It is daily struggle for most us but those that I have seen that are successful do these things:
    Embrace the fact that it is a journey and enjoy the tripl As you travel this road take time to learn about fitness, exercise, diet, and
    all the components that will make you successful in reaching your goals.
    Set realisitc weight loss goals. I started wanting to lose 5 pounds a week. Not really realistic. I soon learned that 1-2 pounds
    per week was realisitic for me, you may differ, but I could maintain that goal and keep it off.
    Set a performance goal that is realistic and then adjust when that goal is reached. You may struggle with a short walk. Go until
    you do not struggle, then do the same walk but up hill or carry dumbells. I used to like to carry dumbells equal to what weight
    I had lost to date. I would suggest that you set a "master goal" of doing a 5k walk/run! You can walk the whole thing if you wish
    to begin with and many people do! They are fun and you meet a lot of other like minded people.
    Be consistent! Workout daily! Set aside time for YOU! And enjoy it! I love my ipod and listen to books or pod cast inaddition to
    my music. If you choose music, make it lively and happy.
    Surround yourself with a peer support group that encourages you to keep going, and not relaspe.
    Lastly, be HAPPY in you! You are worthy, you are not bad, you are good, you can do this, and you will succeed! I believe in you!

I can help you a lot with exercise and diet info if you wish, but remember what I told you early in this disseration (lol) that it starts above the shoulders!

Be Well and stay in touch!

Jeffrey