Has anyone tried the "sport pole"

Options
I'm thinking of buying the x-pole expert series as something fun to do that may help me lose weight. But I don't want to get into it if"

1. it doesn't help me lose weight

or

2. it's so fricken hard i wouldn't even be able to get on the thing

So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this & what type of results they received?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to get on the pole at first, but once you understand the moves it get's a lot easier. You have to learn how to use your body weight in your favor. It's an awesome upper body workout and you will feel tired after. I wouldn't do it as your only exercise but it would definitely be a good, fun addition to your routine.
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    Have you taken any classes or got any DVDs? You wont lose weight if it just sits there ;)

Pole dancing is incredibly hard and at first you may find you can't even hold your body weight but if you persevere you'll love it and burn loads of calories :)

You could start of with an X-pole Sport, they're static and cheaper so if you hate it you're not losing out that much.

If you could take a class first that would be best, I know loads of people with poles in their cupboards who bought without trying or found it too hard..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I would be a great observer in this class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You mean a "stripper pole"?
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i teach pole

it is great for many reasons

CV - when you know moves and add them together in a routine
    strength - upperbody, but also alot of core!
    felxability - to get into some more advanced moves
    co-ordination - as you are movinga nd using many body parts are once

there are manyt good dvds out there, or get to a class and then practice

when i first started i couldnt lift my body weight let alone do any of the moves - but it comes with perserverence and having a laugh too
  • jagoochie
    Options
    where are you based?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have three x poles, I love them! You will absolutely lose weight if you use it and if you try. Don't be discouraged, it is very hard at first! I used to teach pole classes and I had women of all shapes and sizes come in!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to this as well. I've been taking pole fitness classes (note I say FITNESS class and NOT stripper class :grumble: ) and I want more practice at home.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm working on losing some weight first and getting into a regular fitness routine, but then I'm TOTALLY trying the pole classes at the place where I do Zumba. It looks like loads of fun! The pole class is right before Zumba and those ladies come out looking like they got a hell of a workout!
  • jagoochie
    Options
    everyone should try it at least once!
    but remember no one gets perfect technique on the first go... so keep it up!
  • Vmsunderland
    Options
    I'm in the Steven's point area but I don't know of any classes around here.... and no I mean "sport pole" because: I'm not taking my clothes off while dancing... I have tried a pole one at a strip joint (in clothes) and all I could do is lift myself up slightly (I was in jeans) and dance around it.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have tried classes...and they are a lot of fun but it was very hard on my elbow. A home pole is nice if you have high ceilings but I found I enjoyed a "chair class" much more and more practical for home. Do what you enjoy and find a class before you invest in a pole :flowerforyou:
  • coloradocami
    Options
    Double post.
  • coloradocami
    Options
    Oh my...triple post
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Pole is an awesome, great, fun workout. However, like any other workout, pole alone will not cause you to lose weight. You obviously need to watch what you eat, etc.. Personally, I would not just buy a pole and expect to use it, make progress, and not injure yourself. If you have access to classes, that would be my first choice. DVDs are also available, and I know people do use them and make progress, but personally, I would be concerned about injuring myself without someone to watch me for positioning/technique, and without a spotter when I'm first trying certain moves.

Keep in mind that pole is progressive. I started out learning very basic moves, that weren't terribly difficult physically, then moved on to harder moves. There are points when things get harder, even a lot harder, but you work up to it, like anything else.

Also, can we PLEASE stop playing the whole "we're just doing this for exercise, pole fitness is nothing like what strippers do" game? As Claire of The Pole Story has pointed out, there are plenty of workouts out there, you chose pole for a reason.

Oh, and there is a pole dancers group on MFP, join us!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I'm working on losing some weight first and getting into a regular fitness routine, but then I'm TOTALLY trying the pole classes at the place where I do Zumba. It looks like loads of fun! The pole class is right before Zumba and those ladies come out looking like they got a hell of a workout!

There is no need to wait! Start your love affair with pole now.
    (If pole dancing were a cult, I would be the recruiter.)
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I'm in the Steven's point area but I don't know of any classes around here.... and no I mean "sport pole" because: I'm not taking my clothes off while dancing... I have tried a pole one at a strip joint (in clothes) and all I could do is lift myself up slightly (I was in jeans) and dance around it.

To perform many (if not most) intermediate and advanced pole moves, you need to have bare skin on your thighs, arms, and often stomach/sides. If you don't take some clothes off, you're not going to get very far.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    My girlfriend wants a pole to start on at home. Is there a big difference in the different poles that you can buy? Does anyone have any recommendations on the best pole for beginners.
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    My girlfriend wants a pole to start on at home. Is there a big difference in the different poles that you can buy? Does anyone have any recommendations on the best pole for beginners.

Yes, poles vary in terms of a number of things:
    1) Ability to hold weight - This is obviously important, there are some VERY cheap poles around, but they can't support your body weight.
    2) Static only vs static & spinning - Spinning pole is fun, but it's not necessary.
    3) Finish - There are various finishes, the most obvious difference is color, white metal (chrome or stainless), or brass colored (either brass or something called electroplated gold), coated metal poles which come in an array of colors, and plastic poles (these are relatively rare). This is a matter of personal preference. I've danced on chrome, stainless, and brass poles. I strongly prefer chrome or stainless poles to brass. Some people get better stick on brass poles, but I find them to be "moodier" either I stick a ton or not at all. Again, this is personal preference.
    4) Size - poles come in 50mm, 45mm, and now even 40mm. (In Australia I believe there is also a 38mm.) The old standard was 50mm, but this is quite large for a lot of women's hands, so some people strongly recommend a 45mm. But 45mm poles tend to be a little harder on thighs and knees. This again boils down to personal preference.
    5) Attachment - Some poles bolt into the ceiling, while others are pressure mounted. The bolted poles are probably better if you have really high ceilings, but if you don't want to put bolts in, pressure mounted poles are the way to go. There are also free-standing poles, but I wouldn't recommend starting on one of those, plus, they tend to be more expensive.
    6) Customer service - I have an x-pole, and I have had excellent customer service from them when something was initially wrong with my pole. I have heard horror stories about dealing with another leading company.
    7) Workmanship - There are some cheaper poles on the market that are poorly made, have sharp edges, etc.. You want to avoid these.

The common (quality) brands that I'm aware of are: x-pole, platinum stages, and lil' mynx. I've never used a lil' mynx pole, but I know people who are reasonably happy with them.

I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting, so other people can chime in.

If possible, I would recommend trying a few poles first. Or, if your gf will be taking classes, a common recommendation is to get a practice pole similar to what you're learning on in class.