calorie counters

Options
I have heart rate monitor but I am certain that it does not track calories burned..
I think it is important for me to know what I'm burning 100%.. or close to it. What do you use? Do you like it -- why or why not?

Replies

• Journey2Myself
    Options
    I guess you don't hahaha :)
  • Don26
    Don26 Posts: 46
    Options
    I log what I do in the excercise calculator.
    Not sure how accurate it is but it incorporates it into your daily calorie count as well.
    I would recommend using that if you are not already.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4, I love it. What makes you think that yours isn't tracking right?
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305. There are about a jillion websites devoted to this topic. In short, HRMs are great, but calorie counters are often WAAAAAY off.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305. There are about a jillion websites devoted to this topic. In short, HRMs are great, but calorie counters are often WAAAAAY off.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymediafit. Before, I estimated based on what MFP decided was my BMR and then added exercise estimates.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 currently.. and I love it. Easy to use/set up and pretty accurate.

I bought a Polar FT60 yesterday and I'm waiting quite impatiently for it to ship!
  • Doulos24x7
    Doulos24x7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT60. I have been using Polar watches for about fifteen years. Their technology is really, really dialed in!

The FT60 uses many different data points to determine as accurately as possible how many calories you burn during a particular exercise session.

It also has a feature called "OwnIndex" that is also factored into the calorie burning equation. The OwnIndex is calculated in a 5 minute test that you take using the watch and the HR transmitter. The result is about as close as you can get to determining your V02Max without spending a LOT of money to have it professionally tested. VO2Max (and OwnIndex) is about the most precise way to determine how fit you are, it is an index that determines how efficient your body is at converting Oxygen into working energy.

Mine is an appalling 28 right now, I've seen mine as high as 42 about five years ago. I want to be at 45 within a year.

Elite athletes are in the 65 plus range.

The FT60 uses your age, weight, gender, height, heart rate, OwnIndex when calculating how many calories you burn during a session. I've never had any reason to be suspect of it's results.

Love it.

I am a total numbers, stats and technology geek too...so I love it even more.
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    thank you for your help!! :flowerforyou: