How to quit smoking?

Options
How do I quit smoking and not gain any weight? anyone have any helpful hints? Ive quit cold-turkey before, but now... it just seems hard. Thanks

Replies

• MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    How do I quit smoking and not gain any weight? anyone have any helpful hints? Ive quit cold-turkey before, but now... it just seems hard. Thanks
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    every time I quit smoking, it got harder. So, the last time I quit (1/1/2000), I just stayed focused on the fact that if I started smoking again, I would want to quit again and it would be more painful than this time. So, I just stuck with it... Cold Turkey.

But, yeah, I gained weight. It is probably helpful to you that you are watching your calories now. If you don't go over your calories and keep up your exercising, you should be able to keep your weight stable.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Well my dear,

I quit smoking 3 months ago COLD TURKEY yes cold turkey......I have this theroy that if I can do something for 3 days then I must really want it. So one day I just up and decided to quit. I did not tell anyone, nobody even had a clue. 48 hours into it my Boyfriend noticed that I wasn't going out for a smoke in the evening. He didn't say any thing but he was wondering what was up. The next day we were in the store and at the check out he asked if I needed smokes and I replied it has been over 48hours since my last smoke. He said "I thought something was going on cuz you haven't been stepping out to smoke the last couple of nights." So keeping it private was a killer motivation for me. Knowing that I was already over weight made me wonder what I should do. So I started a diet and started looking up ever thing I could for calorie counting, workouts, etc. cuz I knew I had to do something. With in a week of me quiting I found this site. And believe me this has been the best site ever. With everyone doing their own thing but lending a helping hand with the support, advice, a way to keep track of calories and exersise I have found this site to be amazing. But remember its totaly up to you and how badly you want this for yourself. Best of luck and if you need to talk I am here. Just look up Redneckwoman:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kelly:heart:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    Options
    Well my dear,

I quit smoking 3 months ago COLD TURKEY yes cold turkey......I have this theroy that if I can do something for 3 days then I must really want it. So one day I just up and decided to quit. I did not tell anyone, nobody even had a clue. 48 hours into it my Boyfriend noticed that I wasn't going out for a smoke in the evening. He didn't say any thing but he was wondering what was up. The next day we were in the store and at the check out he asked if I needed smokes and I replied it has been over 48hours since my last smoke. He said "I thought something was going on cuz you haven't been stepping out to smoke the last couple of nights." So keeping it private was a killer motivation for me. Knowing that I was already over weight made me wonder what I should do. So I started a diet and started looking up ever thing I could for calorie counting, workouts, etc. cuz I knew I had to do something. With in a week of me quiting I found this site. And believe me this has been the best site ever. With everyone doing their own thing but lending a helping hand with the support, advice, a way to keep track of calories and exersise I have found this site to be amazing. But remember its totaly up to you and how badly you want this for yourself. Best of luck and if you need to talk I am here. Just look up Redneckwoman:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kelly:heart:

Thank you so much! I have quit cold turkey before for a year or more, I decided I was going to do it again on mothers day this year, but knowing that my husband had smokes in the house was my trigger that I can just have anothere one! Well here I was again having"Just one more for the third day straight!" ha what a joke that was. I think I will try to take the keep it private thing! thanks for the advice Ill let you know how it works out for me !
  • Redneckwoman
    Options
    You are ever so welcome. I jusst found that keeping things to myself help alot. That way if it didn't work out I only had my self to blame. And NO NAGGING when you don't need to hear it. LOL:laugh: Hang in there girl, you can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on wanting to quit smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: It is the best thing you can do to improve your health.

I think using this site is going to do wonders for you. Try to focus on eating healthy, mostly clean most times. Choose healthy low cal snacks when having cravings. Chew or place in your mouth non edible items also such as toothpicks, straws, etc. Drink lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A good combination of all those strategies will help you. Try in the beginning to stay away from situations or people who will derail you from your goals.

You can do this!!! And if you"fail" try again, and again, and again...Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    Options
    Thak you so much! for the all so good advice! I will keep you posted on how it goes!
  • Redneckwoman
    Options
    Also too doing cadio helped clean out my lungs too. You do know that your lungs will heal their selves after 3 days of not smoking providing you continue not to smoke. So cardio will hurt your chest for a week or so but they are healing at the same time. I can't belive the diffeerence in my lungs since I quit. Just last week I walked 8 miles without stopping it took 2.5 hours to do.:wink:
  • MissVitaVonCherry
    Options
    Also too doing cadio helped clean out my lungs too. You do know that your lungs will heal their selves after 3 days of not smoking providing you continue not to smoke. So cardio will hurt your chest for a week or so but they are healing at the same time. I can't belive the diffeerence in my lungs since I quit. Just last week I walked 8 miles without stopping it took 2.5 hours to do.:wink:

Way to go! Walking that far! That is awesome and it was a short amount of time too! Strong woman!
    I tryed running today and it killed my lungs! Im not a heavy smoker but I was hacking!
  • SummerBaby73
    SummerBaby73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OMG...I know how you feel! I too am a smoker...I tried to quit last year & I did pretty good for about 3 months. But for those three months I was eating ALL the time. And by my husband being a smoker also that made it even harder! So I eventually caved...I would LOVE to quit because I want to start jogging!