Night Noshing

Options
Does anyone else have the problem with night noshing? I seriously do, and don't know how to get myself off of this track I'm on. UGh!:embarassed:

Replies

• imamommy2001
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem with night noshing? I seriously do, and don't know how to get myself off of this track I'm on. UGh!:embarassed:
  • donnakaye
    donnakaye Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm bad at having to have a snack between 8 - 10pm. I've just gotten into the routine of making it healthier. Examples? 100 cal popcorn, 1/2 each orange and grapefruit and even a SMALL dish of ice cream or frozen yogurt. :smile: The noshing only gets worse if you deny yourself. Keep at it!
  • kellyannolson
    Options
    I crave something sweet before bed, so have been having a serving of a sweetened cereal (i.e. Captain Crunch or the like). With all of the cereals being fortified, I can actually get my craving satisfied and some nutrition for 100 calories.
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    I always crave something between 8-10pm. I usually eat yogurt, fruit or popcorn. The other day I ate peanut butter cookies. But only 3. I figured that is not to bad.
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    This is my biggest weakness. No matter what I eat during the day, as soon as I'm ready for bed I'm starving! I even allow myself 200 calories a night for snacks, but I still find myself wanting to eat more. This is really embarrassing, but if I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I will end up eating. I can't stop it because I'm half asleep and have no control over myself in that state. Last night I woke up and ate a handful of chocolate chips. I need help..
  • braydoherty
    Options
    ABSOLUTLEY! There are many different variables in which the night time cravings are caused, but it's all psychological!

In my experiences, our lives are revolved around food; celebrations, dates, social meetings, events, etc... Food gives us comfort. It is almost imbedded into our brains that things we do usually revolve around food. Meeting a friend ?... Lets grab lunch/dinner and catch up, Date? Usually involves a meal, Holiday or Celebration?, Food, food, and more food! When is there a break?

Ok, so now that you are dieting and doing everyghing you can to embrace your new lifestyle, what's on your mind? FOOD!

You do great all day long, you plan your meals, make excellent food choices, exercise, and feel wonderfu. The day comes to an end and you are finally relaxing. Now what? Snack time! Do you associate watching TV, or reading, or what ever you do at the end of the day, with food? It's not easy, but if you are finshed eating for the day, create new associates with your evening activities. Usually something active helps, fold the laundry, go through stacks of old papers/clutter, or even go for a brisk walk, just keep yourself busy.

9 times out of 10 you are thirsty. If you feel that uncontrollable urge to walk into the kitchen, drink water or make a cup of decaf tea. ( I go with an herbal tea like chamomile, or a fruit flavored tea). Usally by the time you finish your beverage, you are not craving food anymore. If you still are, stop, ask yourself what are you craving. If it's sweet, have fruit like berries or 1/2 an apple, if its fat, have raw nuts like almonds or walnuts. Lastly, make the house a safe zone! DO NOT stock junk food. Keep little noshes like carrots, celery, cucumber, stringbeans, etc in the fridge. You can "pick" at these items and they pack a powerfull crunch too!

I'm no Angel, I give in too; However, I recently found that i wasn't eating enough during the day and have increased my calorie intake. It seems to be working and I'm not hungry, however, I am now working on the associaton part. I have come to realize I have just created an unconsious habit for myself. The only way to break a habit is will power! I eat my dinner, clean up, and turn off the kitchen light, and leave the room! I take a bottle of water with me so I don't have to go back even if I'm thirsty.

My advice to you is to evaluate your current situation and find the reason for the cravings. Make a consious effort to avoid them for 2 weeks, you WILL break the pattern.

Best of luck to you and stay focused!
    :)
  • imamommy2001
    Options
    Thanks, that is great info! I was thinking to myself that maybe I wasn't eating enough during the day and that is why I was "hungry" at night. I'm glad someone else thought the same. =)