GATHERING COURAGE

Options
newDZ
newDZ Posts: 237 Member
I have wedding coming up next Saturday and I need to gather up courage.

The wedding is not mine but it's filled with land mines.

It's my friend's wedding. I'm sure any wedding is filled with it's dieting complications but this one is gonna be a tough one. See my friend is marrying a world-reknowned award winning chef. He is planning a gastric blow out for this wedding, after all it's his own.

The cake is being made by the pastry chef to the Queen of England.

Two weeks ago I was feeling resilient and strong, today as I was preparing my baked fish dinner I'm feeling scared.

I have lost 44lbs. I don't want to sabotage myself and gain anything back. I needed to get this out and breath.

Replies

• newDZ
    Options
    I have wedding coming up next Saturday and I need to gather up courage.

The wedding is not mine but it's filled with land mines.

It's my friend's wedding. I'm sure any wedding is filled with it's dieting complications but this one is gonna be a tough one. See my friend is marrying a world-reknowned award winning chef. He is planning a gastric blow out for this wedding, after all it's his own.

The cake is being made by the pastry chef to the Queen of England.

Two weeks ago I was feeling resilient and strong, today as I was preparing my baked fish dinner I'm feeling scared.

I have lost 44lbs. I don't want to sabotage myself and gain anything back. I needed to get this out and breath.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    OK maybe I will catch some flack for this but I say go for it. How often is something like this gonna happen in your life? I say you should eat lightly for the few days leading up, exercise a bunch to help offset, and then enjoy some of everything. Don't stuff yourself, eat moderate portions, but enjoy all of it. Then get back on the wagon immediately. You won't do as much damage as you are imagining. I doubt they are serving sticks of butter.

C'mon! the pastry chef for the Queen of England!? Is that something you really want to pass up? :noway:

You don't have to eat the full portions of what is served either. You can have reasonable/smallish size portions of everything and still enjoy all that is being offered. That's what I would do.
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    I have to agree with Lucky. As long as you don't go completely overboard, you should eat and enjoy it. This is a lifestyle change and in life, when there is cake made by the Queen's pastry chef - I say "Let them eat cake!"
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with luckyleprechaun go for It one day in the long term won't hurt
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Hon. You didn't get this way in one meal. Or one day. Listen up! (And I say this with love--not out of meanness) do NOT let a "diet" ruin a FABULOUS experience! You are on a lifestyle change journey! One day of getting to have a little taste of amazing food is only one day! I don't mean tomorrow is another day, I don't mean pork out! I mean, have an amazing little taste of everything without guilt. Take a walk before, take a walk after and enjoy your day! Promise you won't regret it, enjoy the experience and know that you can enjoy things in moderation, with exercise, and still be okay.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    OK maybe I will catch some flack for this but I say go for it. How often is something like this gonna happen in your life? I say you should eat lightly for the few days leading up, exercise a bunch to help offset, and then enjoy some of everything. Don't stuff yourself, eat moderate portions, but enjoy all of it. Then get back on the wagon immediately. You won't do as much damage as you are imagining. I doubt they are serving sticks of butter.

C'mon! the pastry chef for the Queen of England!? Is that something you really want to pass up? :noway:

You don't have to eat the full portions of what is served either. You can have reasonable/smallish size portions of everything and still enjoy all that is being offered. That's what I would do.

Lucky! I'm behind you 100%. IT's ONE DAY! It's not going to mess up the 44 pounds that you have already lost at all.

Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of all the cool stuff that is happening for that wedding! It's not like the pastry chef is going to move home with you and stuff you with bad things on a daily basis!

Eat what you want in moderation if that makes you feel better. Be really good with exercising and calories up to the event and then get back on the horse the day after it.

What you do the days after you eat naughty things is what really matters.

You control the food. Don't let the food control you!!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Real food for real people in real life-- enjoy yourself, but don't go bonkers. Watch very closely all week beforehand, exercise-- if you can exercise the day of the wedding-- and eat normal portions of what is served.

It's not license to be a glutton, but you don't have to abstain and eat like a rabbit, either-- once in a lifetime deal, enjoy yourself.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. If you can get a Run or some aerobic excercise in that would be good but if not I wouldn't feel guilty about one day. Have Fun. :smile:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Wow, I must have really really meant that, because I sure used a lot of !!!!!!!
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    I agree with Lucky on this one...GO FOR IT!

One night is not going to screw you up...trust me - I just spent a week in Las Vegas and still managed to lose 1 pound (of course that might just have been from bringing back a lighter wallet...lol) :smile:

+1 on that point too! Just because they're serving it up doesn't mean you have to wolf it all down!

Go and ENJOY YOURSELF! Then, the following week, really bust your a** in the exercise and diet department! And I'm sure doing some crazy dancing at the reception will help burn off some calories too! :wink:

Jeff @ YEG
  • Marla64
    Options
    PS-- can we come?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    AMEN!

Enjoy yourself.

If I send you a reaally big purse you think you can smuggle some stuff out! :laugh:
    PS-- can we come?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    PS-- can we come?

I was thinking that. We need to go with her for support, no?:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    PS-- can we come?

I was thinking that. We need to go with her for support, no?:flowerforyou:

I'm thinking more like the royal tester-- "Wait a minute-- let me make sure it's fit to eat!!"
  • newDZ
    Options
    QUOTE:

PS-- can we come?

I was thinking that. We need to go with her for support, no?

lol--- thanks
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    First of all.....WHAT?!?!?! That is QUITE the wedding!!!!! I can't even fathom, lol.

Secondly, go and have the time of your life!! You're not going to gain back 44lbs in one night!! Enjoy yourself and make up for it AFTER the wedding. Add in some harder exercising, etc........

:flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lucky and the others. It's one day, it's life. Go and have a great time, eat what you want, stop when you're body tells you youv'e had enough, and dance like there's no tomorrow.

Have a blast.

OMG A CHEF!! will live vicariously through you on this one. LOL
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    This sounds like an AMAZING wedding! Enjoy the food, you may never have another opportunity to eat like this again. (I am a big time foodie, no matter what anyone else said, I would have told you to try the food! :laugh:) Please, report back in after the wedding to tell us how everything was!
    Also, if you feel guilty about eating that day, keep in mind you can dance your butt off at the reception!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've EVER seen everybody agree on a post before on MFP. LOL!!!

I'm with everyone else. Eat 1/2 of whatever serving it is, or less. I mean, one bite of that fabuloso cake isn't going to cut it, at least not for me - so eat 1/2 of the piece. One friggin meal aint' gonna hurt anything. The sodium might be the worst so be sure to drink lots of water in the following fews days and skip weighing yourself that week, because truth be told, water weight is mostly what you'd gain.

Eat s-l-o-w-l-y, I mean really enjoy every bite. And you're not on a diet, hon, you've done a lifestyle change, and well, in real life, weddings are important and special meals are to be enjoyed.
  • tattoo_pauly
    Options
    1 pound = 3500 calories
    44 pounds = 154,000 calories
    That's A LOT of food you'd have to eat!