Please read this: sore hips

Options
For a while I have experienced sore hips after sitting down for a while then standing up. This pain usually lasts the first few steps i take then goes away, but the first few steps I take after standing up usually leave me hobbling around somewhat til it goes away. I'm not sure why this would be happening, but the only thing I can relate it to is starting my new job. Do you think that starting my new job about 3 months ago now would affect my hips/ It is very physically demanding, involving lots of fast walking, and heavy lifting throughout the whole duration of my shift.

also, on an unrelated note to the above, if I lie down on my stomach then get up, my stomach hurts, the only way I can describe it is as if I imagine the weight of me is crushing my stomach or something, then when i get up, the pain sets in from being squished? Not sure if that makes sense, this has happened for as long as I remember, I don't lie on my stomach anymore as it hurts when i get up lol. Oh and by stomach i mean my actual stomach, not my belly.

I started at 158lbs and am currently about 122lbs ish so I don't think this is weight related as such, but perhaps to do with exercise for the first problem?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    1,200cals/day?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    1,200cals/day?

what on earth does this have to do with the op's question?
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't understand? I'm currently given 1400 calories a day if that helps?
  • tlkjck2001
    tlkjck2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have severe arthritis in both my knees and this happens to me when I sit for any length of time. If it has only been happening since you started your new job chances are the two events are related. Maybe doing some stretching before you start work, through out the day and after work? I hope this helps! (Oh, if you are able to take something like motrin that might help some.)
  • renokt87
    renokt87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tend to have tight hips as well, and experience pain if I have more than usual standing/walking/running/etc. I've found yoga to be super helpful with this. If you have a studio nearby, look for more mellow classes - hatha, yin, anything restorative. I'm sure I don't need to tell you - go to the doctor if it hurts a ton!
  • JessicaEPope
    Options
    Thank you. I've tried doing a bit of stretching but will try to remember to do it more often and see if it helps. I had about a week off for holiday and was hoping ti would improve with the time spent resting but as soon as went back to work it hurt all over again.
    Didn't think it was enough to go to the doctor for, was just hoping someone else had experienced the same thing really. No idea if it's anything to be worried about or anything serious or if my joints are just tired from all the power walking around and lifting heavy things? lol
  • welshgurl
    welshgurl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have very similar problems, and although I am not a doctor, perhaps it would be wise to visit one. My symptoms only got worse...was diagnosed with osteitis pubis, which more and more women seem to be getting due to childbirth or other injuries. I am not trying to scare you, but google it and see if those symptoms pertain to you. Motrin does help you get through the pain, but it is better to get to the root of the problem if the pain does not subside. Good luck!:smile:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would say that you should mention this to the doctor at your next appointment. I have Psoriatic Arthritis which is primarily in my hips. This sounds like an inflammation problem (not saying you have arthritis since there are many things that can cause inflammation including overuse). I know a key problem with inflammation is pain/stiffness after periods of inactivity (mornings or sitting for too long). Also the problem with your stomach... do you mean your phycical stomach or that area? Could it be the bottom of your rib cage? Press on your breast bone. Does it hurt? Does it leave a nasty ache? If so you really need to mention this to your doctor. I am not a doctor or in any way part of the medical field...just from personal experience painful ribs and breast bone can also be inflammation in the joints there (yes I was surprised to discover there are joints in your rib cage!). It doesn't hurt to ask the doctor and the inflammation (if you have some) could be from your new job.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    1,200cals/day?

It has to do with the typical under-feeding, that usually applies to those with similar complaints. And I see I was only off by 200 calories.
  • JessicaEPope
    Options
    The only way i can think of to describe it is as if I've lay down on my front and some part of my insides is squishing another part, but it's been like this for as long as i can remember,. Last night I lay half on my side and front just for 10 seconds or so, and lifting myself up again to a sitting position made my stomach experience intense pain for a couple of seconds. I guess I'll have to mention it to my doctor and hope they can have a better look! Osteitis pubis sounds like it could be what's happening, perhpas the repeated power walking could be causing it (I'm certainly no athlete in a traditional sense, but a ten hour shift of continual walking might be similar to some degree?)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    About.com has a bunch of info on stretching, yoga, stretching for walkers, hip stretches, etc. Do your stretches after you've warmed up a bit. Don't stretch cold muscles.

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/blexstretch.htm

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/ss/warmupstretches.htm

My favorite hip stretch - cross your left ankle over your (lower) right thigh - then squat on your right leg a bit. You will feel a stretch in your left hip.

Another idea - how supportive are your shoes? For me it's foot pain when my shoes are too worn out.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had horrible knee and hip pain, cut out grains and she now has no issues at all.

Also if you are exercising much at all, you may want to up your salt intake a bit. I've found that when I work out hard and sweat alot I start to feel weak in the joints at times. Drinking high sodium broth or stock makes that feeling go away within hours.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    1,200cals/day?

He's taking the piss...

On a more serious note. Don't as k us. Go to your doctors. The "advice" on here is not bonafide.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's worth mentioning to your doctor. An ibuprofen or aleve will help with inflammation but as others mentioned finding the source of the problem is your best bet in getting things under control. Hope you feel better! =)
  • JessicaEPope
    Options
    Thank guys, seen as though it's too late to visit my doctor today, just figured i'd ask if anyone else had the same thing tonight. I guess I'll have to go visit and hope they can help me out. Hopefully something can be done about i, fed up of standing up and having to hobble for a little bit before I can walk properly haha
  • welshgurl
    welshgurl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Let us know the results, although it may take more than one visit to get a diagnosis...just be prepared for that! I know I wanted an answer right away and was frustrated that it took so long.:wink: