New Year's Resolution (blah blah)

Options
There is always a ton, I mean a ton, of hype about New Year's Resolutions. And to that I say, Blah Blah. Here's why: The #1 resolution is always to lose weight or get more fit. Gyms sure do benefit from it, but its typically short-lived. January the gym is crowded, by February its back to near empty. 80% or more New Year's Resolutions fail, more than likely the percentage is even higher for those with the resolution to lose weight. Weight loss resolutions are doomed to failure from the start. We expect instant gratification, to see the pounds melt off, we set too lofty of goals and burn out on them when the realization of their short-term attainability sets in. But why? Because weight loss is a total lifestyle commitment and change. It takes a whole lot more motivation, determination, inspiration, and support than just thinking January 1st is going to be the golden ticket, an about face, a 100% change to your lifestyle overnight. I fear it doesn't work this way. That's why I say Blah Blah.

A lifestyle change is not automatically brought about because the clock chimes a new year, the calendar flips to 2012, or the ball drops in Time Square. The hype will pass, fade away, New Year's Resolutions will be forgotten, shrugged off for another year. Want to lose weight in the new year? Want a lifestyle change? Don't expect time to do it for you, don't expect the world to look or treat you any different on January 1, 2012, its not any different of a day than today. Don't buy into the hype of the latest fad diets, the latest exercise and fitness gizmos and gadgets. Its money down the drain. Rather try this....

Find your commitment. Find your motivation. Find your dedication. Find your inspiration. Find your support. Cultivate these things, dwell on them. We've got 3 days till the New Year. Why wait till Sunday or Monday to start developing your goals, your strategies, your motivation? A lifestyle change takes a lot of time, energy, sacrifices, rarely does the bulb just switch on, or the finger snaps, and ta-da you're life is completely changed. Want your lifestyle change to last? Set goals. Short-term goals, long-term goals, develop a reward structure if this helps you, write it all out. Develop a mantra, own it, repeat it every time you feel like giving up, or the pressure is too great, or the workout is too hard, or that doughnut is calling your name. Repeat it, make it who you are.

Don't set too lofty of goals. You can't lose 15lbs in 2 weeks and you can't work out 7 days a week and expect these things to last. Rather, start off small and work your way up. "I will walk 3 times a week", I will go to the gym 3 times for an hour a time per week", "I will cut out night-time snacking". These types of goals are small and are achievable over the long haul. Plan out steps. Don't focus on the end result. If ya got 50lbs to lose don't focus on the 50, focus on the first 5, then the second 5, etc. In order to achieve this you will need an organized diet plan and a specific exercise routine. Write it out.

I am no expert. I have failed much more than I have succeeded. I am not a pessimist by nature, sorry for being so in the above, but its reality. I am a proud member of MFP for 9 months. MFP has been there fore me. It works. I lost the 45lbs I wanted to lose in 2011. But I failed myself from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I got out of it. Excused myself away because of the holidays. Commitment to logging is key, finding supportive pals is important, using the many tools and resources at our disposal on the website and phone app is important. I know that you and I can be much better than a statistic. Let's prove it. Let's show them. This new year is not about making resolutions because its the popular thing to do. Rather, let's dedicate ourselves to the lifestyle, let's live new. Start small. Set attainable goals. Figure out what motivates you that can keep you on the straight and narrow.

Lastly, write out your goals and motivation, and make them public. Here's a snapshot of mine:
For me, my goals, to shed off this holiday baggage. To lose 20lbs, to be 175lbs. To maintain a gym regimen of 4 days a week 1 hour sessions. To run more 5ks, 10ks, to compete in my first ever half marathon. I've already signed up for 2 runs in March. To lift more and lift heavier (following The New Rules of Lifting - great book!) And ultimately to be in the best shape of my life. But baby steps to get there. My inspiration and support is my beautiful wife, my pals on MFP, my family. My motivation is a Cancun vacation in June. Its booked. And I'm not waiting till January 1st to get started and I'm certainly not expecting 2012 to do it for me, I've got to do it myself!! Go get it!!

P.S.> If ya want to make your goals public, please do so in a reply. Typing them out, sharing them with others, helps significantly!

Replies

• Moms3Kwa
    Options
    I agree with you!! Every talk show magazine cover has some celebrity on it with the new, best way to "look good". It gets really annoying.