Water intake...how do you constantly drink?!

Options
For some reason it is very hard to make myself drink water or any other kind of fluids. I have seen people drink water non stop throughout the day but i just can't seem to motivate myself to do so. How to you guys put in the effort to drink all that every day?

Replies

• catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this. After I drink my coffee in the morning (which I totally look forward to) the thought of actually walking to the drinking fountain to fill up my cup sounds horrible. And it's like 10 feet away from my desk. LAZY. I'll be looking forward to reading some tips from others who aren't lazy like me!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    1st make sure its good water like bottled spring water & its cold...keeping a bottle with u will make it convenient and just sip away...eventually u will get used to it & u will crave it..I was this way b4 too... now if I go too long I really get thirsty & want water! If u don't do bottled water get a nice reusable water bottle & get a filter for ur tap
  • sandlerlover
    sandlerlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do good at work by thinking of going for a walk to the kitchen is a reward for drinking all of my water. (Gives me an excuse to get up from my desk and walk around.) I also learned that a refillable water bottle with a straw works best for me than having a pour spout. I also use a 20 ounce bottle instead of a bigger one because if the water gets to room temp I'm less likely to drink it.
    If I'm traveling I fill two bottles up for a total of 52 ounces and fill the bigger one with more ice so when it's time to drink that one it's still cold. I've learned if i see it/have it I'll drink it. I guess I feel bad for wasting it. I also think it helps to just get in the habit so once you start it gets easier.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have to fake myself out and put fluids into cups with straws and add ice. There's something about drinking from a 20oz diet coke bottle or a covered cup with a straw that seems to keep me grabbing for more fluids.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I work for a Water and Air Filtration Company, so our water is amazingly good which makes it easier to drink. But what I do is fill my cup as soon as I get to my desk in the morning. That way I don't fall into the lazy trap. I also fill it each time I get up to use the bathroom. Since I drink so much, I end up having to pee quite often and can usually get in 9-11 glasses while at work.
    I also make sure and use a big cup, the one I have holds almost 20oz of water.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i also have an issue with this. when i am at work and also the days when i go to the gym, i am able to push myself to drink though i rarely reach the recommended 8 cups a day unless it is in the warm summer months. most days i drink abt 4 - 6 cups. on the days when i am home all day i really struggle though. i can be home all day and not drink a single cup. i really need to work on this.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I keep a Brita water bottle on my desk, it helps me drink more water because the water at work (different city) is just nasty. I agree - having it cold is much better. You might try lemon or lime slices in your water. Anything to get into the habit.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Get a good filter system. Maybe flavor it with a little sugar free jello or juice. When I go to work I put a ton of ice in a Half gallon thermos and leave it where I can get at it easily. When I am home I put enough water in a glass for a couple of good gulps. Don't like warm water. You just have to reteach your body to drink. Once you start it gets easier. I know a lot of people don't like to drink too much water because of all the restroom breaks that it induces. That gets better too.
  • slinkymalinki
    Options
    I make sure I keep a 1L bottle where I can see it all day, I find that I drink it without even noticing 'cause its there right in front of me. I drink fruity tea too, which is caffeine free but has some flavour to it.(:
  • sarapie
    Options
    Make it fun... When I'm working, I use a cup with a straw (I have a clear Starbucks glass that holds 3 glasses of water). If I have water on my desk with a straw, it makes it easier for me to drink while I'm working. My mom was having trouble remembering to drink water (she likes it, she just gets busy and forgets) so she got a cute water bottle that makes it more interesting and is a visual reminder to drink water. My friend has a water bottle that has a digital monitor which keeps track of how much water you put in, how much you drank for the day, how far you are from your goal, etc. It makes it exciting to drink!
  • TheAnonGit
    Options
    I keep a water bottle by me at all times. I don't use big ones though, because I find those discouraging. They make me feel like no matter how much I drink, I'll never get done. So I just use a regular 16.9 ounce water bottle. I make sure it's ice cold, because I refuse to drink anything that is warm. If it doesn't make me cold while drinking it, it isn't cold enough. I could seriously be dying of dehydration, but would still refuse lukewarm water. It's nasty. Sometimes if I'm having a hard time getting all my water for the day in, I will stick a lemon slice or two in there. It gives it a nice flavor, which motivates me to drink more. Usually though, I get at least half of my water intake while I work out. I chug two glasses before, and by the time I'm done I'm thirsty enough for two more.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It really is about forming a new habit. It takes awhile, then you get used to it, then it becomes part of your "normal" so you just do.
    Like others mentioned, keeping a water bottle next to you helps. Set a timer for 10 minutes and take a sip or tow or three every time it goes off if you need help remembering.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have a quart bottle on my desk that I fill every morning and challenge myself to drink it by 10:00 a.m. I usually end up finishing it before then, and then refill. Sometimes I finish that one by the end of the day, sometimes not. I find it's easier for me to drink the second one if it has some Crystal Light in it.
  • slingbladefan
    Options
    Thanks for all your help tips :D
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this. I just forget that Im thirsty because Im concentrating on something. (I forget to eat too sometimes. Im that bad!)
    What has been helping is I got one of those reusable cups with a lid and straw, and a container of water with a spout to dispense to put in my fridge. That way I always have cold water. However... its the fact that I simply need to remember to actually go refill the cup...
    Maybe I should try an alarm that goes off every hour, and I have to train myself to stop what Im doing and fill that cup? (Knowing me Ill ignore the alarm cause Im in the middle of something then completely forget...)
  • Anliena
    Anliena Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like others said, I make sure I drink bottled water (I would never be able to drink that much with tap water!), it's cold, and I ALWAYS have a cup or bottle with me. If I don't, then I don't get all my water in.
  • slingbladefan
    Options
    i also have an issue with this. when i am at work and also the days when i go to the gym, i am able to push myself to drink though i rarely reach the recommended 8 cups a day unless it is in the warm summer months. most days i drink abt 4 - 6 cups. on the days when i am home all day i really struggle though. i can be home all day and not drink a single cup. i really need to work on this.

i do the exact same thing! when i am at home i can go all day without drinking anything at all! :/
  • slingbladefan
    Options
    Make it fun... When I'm working, I use a cup with a straw (I have a clear Starbucks glass that holds 3 glasses of water). If I have water on my desk with a straw, it makes it easier for me to drink while I'm working. My mom was having trouble remembering to drink water (she likes it, she just gets busy and forgets) so she got a cute water bottle that makes it more interesting and is a visual reminder to drink water. My friend has a water bottle that has a digital monitor which keeps track of how much water you put in, how much you drank for the day, how far you are from your goal, etc. It makes it exciting to drink!

That is a great idea! if its cute ill drink out of it HAHA! so girly :p I need one of those cups ur friend has! that would be so awesome!!!
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also drink a glass before eating lunch and dinner, so that helps with the intake too.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have a quart bottle on my desk that I fill every morning and challenge myself to drink it by 10:00 a.m. I usually end up finishing it before then, and then refill. Sometimes I finish that one by the end of the day, sometimes not. I find it's easier for me to drink the second one if it has some Crystal Light in it.

last time i was in canada in july (i live in the UK) i got some crystal light hoping it would encourage me to drink more water and i must admit it didnt work at all. i am just not a drink/juice sort of person as i am used to drinking tea with meals. having a cold drink thoughout the day when it is not boiling hot outside is not an easy task at all.