Does eating "All Natural" really make you feel better?

Options
I have been reading a lot about detox diets recently and I am sold on the notion that they are not the greatest for your body. However, the detox diets that I am referring to involve drinking weird smoothies and eating...well...almost nothing. The detox or cleanse that I am thinking of would involve eating "all natural". Meaning that I would stick to fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and water. Has anyone on here tried this before? If so, for how long? And how did you feel after? I REALLY appreciate any input I can get on this. I really want to try it for at least the first week of the new year but I believe that reading about others results will help to push me one direction or the other. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I call it "clean" eating. The less amount of packaged foods, the better I feel. Eating natural made foods, things you prepare yourself.... I actually feel lighter, less bogged down by processed stuff.
    Try it. Normally after 2 weeks you can really tell the difference!
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    This is 100% how I eat (whole foods, raw, organic, however your look at it), and yes...I feel tons better. Not to mention, I have clearer skin and the color in my skin is back, and my hair pigmentation has gotten more rich. The energy I have is out of this world.
  • kitkat9138
    Options
    I think our bodies are smart enough to 'cleanse' themselves if we feed it nutritious foods, our bodies know exactly how to process fresh, natural foods so having a week of clean eating like you mentioned will do alot of good. My mom will do a lean protein/fruit/veg diet for a couple weeks a few times out of the year and she is extremely strict about it and usually loses about 20 lbs.

-drink at least 64oz of water
    -no dairy or grains
    -stop eating around 6 or 7pm for ultimate digestion
    -consider colon cleansing methods
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! Avoiding packaged foods has made me feel SO much better. More energy, less bloated, less weighed down. This also means avoiding foods that claim to be "all natural" and "organic" on the label, too - most companies can say whatever whey want on the front of packages!

Stick to foods that don't really need packaging - like you said, vegetables, meats, fruits, healthy fats (I mean obviously some are packaged but they aren't highly processed). Good luck!
  • MaggieMay131
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! Avoiding packaged foods has made me feel SO much better. More energy, less bloated, less weighed down. This also means avoiding foods that claim to be "all natural" and "organic" on the label, too - most companies can say whatever whey want on the front of packages!

Stick to foods that don't really need packaging - like you said, vegetables, meats, fruits, healthy fats (I mean obviously some are packaged but they aren't highly processed). Good luck!
  • MaggieMay131
    Options

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    way more energy, to do everything, killing it for two hrs in the gym most everyday, didnt have as many craving for crap this christmas, much happier all around! and it has only been a wk. you can look at my diary if you want
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    This is 100% how I eat (whole foods, raw, organic, however your look at it), and yes...I feel tons better. Not to mention, I have clearer skin and the color in my skin is back, and my hair pigmentation has gotten more rich. The energy I have is out of this world.
    this totally!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i started working at whole foods market 6 1/2 years ago. ever since then, i have done nothing but eat natural/organic food. it makes me feel much better and less draggy(if thats a work, haha). only problem sometimes, is people think natural/organic automatically makes it healthy. trust me, those cookies i get sometimes arent healthy:laugh: whenever i eat something that isnt, i feel lethargic, thats why i dont eat fast food either. i think its much better, if i cant pronounce the ingredient, i dont get it. good luck. hope that helps.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't think detox diets are necessary, or even helpful, especially if it ends up being an excuse to eat badly at other times. I feel like consistently taking care of myself is better. I feel best when I eat a diet consisting mostly of:
    - fresh vegetables, mostly raw
    - fresh or frozen fruits
    - whole grains such as brown rice, millet, and quinoa (a psuedo-grain but we won't split hairs)
    - legumes
    - raw nuts
    - other healthy fats, such as olive oil and chia seeds
    - some supplemental protein powder made from organic peas and brown rice

I don't buy all organic, but I try to buy organic for high pesticide produce (e.g. items on the Environmental Working Group's "dirty dozen" list). I also buy organic or non-gmo for soy beans and corn.
  • MaggieMay131
    Options
    wow sorry for the triple post... clearly I was having some computer issues
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I want to thank EVERYONE for their advice! Hearing about others success with "eating clean" is really motivating. I find that I eat food to make myself feel better (emotionally) and I should be thinking more about physical health. Hoping to start the New Year off with a new sense of determination. Thanks again!!!