What to do with beans & rolled oats? Other then pordige

Options
geckofli
geckofli Posts: 155 Member
i have heaps of rolled oats in my cupboard and I want to use them up instead of throwing them out any ideas?

I also have about 6tins of beans, white beans red beans speckled beans and chick peas what can I do with those ?

Replies

• Melany502
    Melany502 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make bread with the oats
  • rmsturdy
    Options
    substitute rolled oats for bread crumbs in meatloaf. Much better for you and just as good! Better texture too in my opinion.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    put some oats into meatloaf...no one's the wiser and it adds fiber.
  • rmsturdy
    Options
    Whoops, hit reply before I was done. You can make hummus with the chickpeas (I add jarred red bell peppers, salt, pepper and garlic to taste). Add red beans to chili. You can use the white beans for a lot of things, but my favorite is white bean pasta:

half a box whole grain pasta
    2 tbsp evoo
    1 can white beans rinsed
    1/2 cup Italian cheese blend
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tbsp Tony Chachere's seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 small heads of broccoli (steamed)
    2 diced roma tomatoes

Combine everything in the bowl, toss hot pasta on top and mix! Super, super quick and easy, and you get a gigantic portion for less than 500 calories!
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I like this baked oatmeal squares recipe, but it's so good watch out for the calories (don't eat too many).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-oatmeal-squares/
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oats: Granola Bars / Energy Bars. Unlimited on the ideas for beans: soups, chilis, burgers, use w/rice. I would do a low fat hummus with the chickpeas or use in a salad. Do a search on vegan/vegetarian recipes and you'll get more than enough ideas for them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    i have heaps of rolled oats in my cupboard and I want to use them up instead of throwing them out any ideas?
    Mix them raw with peanut butter and just a bit of maple syrup. Chewy, but very tasty.
    I also have about 6tins of beans, white beans red beans speckled beans and chick peas what can I do with those ?

Add them salads (green or pasta salad) or just make a mixed bean salad with your favorite vinegrette dressing and some onion and celery (or other crunchy veg). Or cook them up with some peppers, brown rice and cajun seasoning.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Throw the oats (about 1/4 cup) into a smoothie
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Oatmeal pancakes!! You can find recipes on the web.

Chili and minestrone are great ways to use up the beans.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Add the oats to jiffy muffins.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fruit crumble/crisp - use half oats half flour!

Oatmeal raisin or choc chip cookies!

Beans can be used in chilli or soup!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I would throw them out but then I don't eat grains or legumes. My body prefers protein and fat
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Make it like you would for oatmeal but add the beans and veggies to make a savory oatmeal
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Use allrecipes.com to search recipes by ingredients. You could probably even use some of both to make veggie burgers.
  • shawndella
    shawndella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use oats a lot in cooking. It makes a great filler plus fiber in burgers. I toss a handful in my ground beef or ground turkey and mix it up with a small amount of water or skim milk to moisten it. Then just make your burgers as usual. As for your beans, EAT THEM!! Put them in a crock pot with a chunk of lean ham, a little minced onion, then season with salt and pepper and a little hot sauce if you like it and slow cook for a couple of hours. Delicious! You can freeze what you don't eat, but they will stay good in the refrigerator for a few days.
  • stevenronaldson
    Options
    Next time you are at the super-market, check out the prepared-salads and stuff and try to roughly copy those ideas!

For beans, I either put them in soups, chili or mixed with rice to bulk those items up, but the best thing I've done with them is:

Soak your beans in water overnight (I use kidney, black eyed beans, cannellini beans, haricot beans... anything!)

Finely chop a couple of spicy chilis & a roughly chop couple of peppers... you can add some cooked (and then chilled) peas & sweetcorn, or any other veg you like

Throw the beans, the chilis and your veg into a bowl, and put a few spoons of mint sauce in and mix it up

Squeeze some lime juice over the top, and mix again

You'll end up with a nice little salad that's cool and fresh, but with a nice kick to it from the chili and still feels quite hearty because of the good mixture of beans and chunky vegetables.

Once you know that you like that, try throwing in some different vegetables. Try making your own mint sauce, etc!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Use some of the beans to make tacos. Just season and cook them how you would normally cook your ground meat. It's delicious.

You could make hummus with the chickpeas
    Black bean burgers
    A great big pot of chili
    Roast the chickpeas for a yummy crunchy snack
    Cook some sausage and onions and add white beans and kale (a super delicious Tuscan style meal)
    Make a bean salad

So so so many things

As for the oats......

Apple crumble. I would definitely be making some apple crumble.

Also if you don't use the beans.....donate them to a food pantry. Never throw out non perishable items like that.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    OATS! Meatloaf was my first thought... But then I had a few others.

Protein pancakes - YES! :bigsmile: Equal parts oats, cottage cheese, and egg white + cinnamon. Make enough for a crowd!

Protein brownies - they are AWESOME! Here's my recipe: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/360890-meagalayne-s-signature-protein-brownies

Granola! Holy heck - Soooo good. Easy and it keeps for a while if stored properly in an air tight container :bigsmile: I have a great recipe for that as well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/426595-healthy-granola-recipe-anyone?page=1#posts-5909767

Smoothies! Add 1/4 cup to your breakfast smoothie along with some good protein, spinach and fruit and it'll keep you going all morning long. Great healthy breakfast.
    I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast, so I go through a HUGE supply of oats every month. Along with all the above recipes which are in constant production in my kitchen. Oats are probably the single most used dry good in my house...

If all else fails to inspire you, grind em up and use it as a substitute for 1/2 the flour in any quick bread recipe :bigsmile: Good luck and happy experimenting!