For those of you who cross train...

Options
I'm just wondering, for those of you who cross train, what does your weekly routine look like? I was just running daily, but I am in the process of expanding my workout. I want to not only become a better runner but also to be stronger. I love running and am looking to further challenge myself and my fitness!
So I've read some books, done some research and am in the process of planning out my weekly routine for January. Just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks All!

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I workout to P90X2 in the AM, and 3 days a week I run, other 2 days I stationary bike, 2 nights per week I take a Tai Chi Class.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Personally I do Crossfit about 5 times a week. But my husband, who is training for his 4th marathon in May, has started doing Crossfit too - he'll come to class (strength) maybe Tuesdays & Thursdays, and run Monday, Weds, Saturday. I'm not sure of his exact routine, but I know he's been adding in some speed and hill training one or two days a week, too.
    Good luck!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    bump

I'm in the process of adding variety as well
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This is my current schedule:

SUNDAY: 6-8 mile run
    MONDAY: 6-8 mile run
    TUESDAY: Strength Training - Spinning
    WEDNESDAY: 6-8 mile run
    THURSDAY: Strength Training - HIITS
    FRIDAY: 6-8 mile run - Spinnng
    SATURDAY: Strength Training - Spinning

As I get closer to my half-marathon I'll be adding mileage to my Sunday run and either cutting Monday's out or dropping to short mileage.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Run 4 days a week.
    Elliptical 2 days a week.
    Pilates once a week.

I also do some arm work twice a week.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I do boxercise, spinning, running, swimming and weights/kettlebells mixed up over 5 days.
    Summer routine will be the same but with more running and outdoor biking instead of spinning
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do so many different things I don't think I can be defined by one. I run, but not a runner. I go to crossfit, but not really a crossfitter. I cycle, but not really a cyclist. But I think that is what keeps workout so much fun.

If you are looking to get stronger, sounds like resistance or strength training would be a great addition to your running. Most gyms offer a personal training session with a sign up, they can make a program for you and you can do that 2-3 times a week. There are also great at home programs that include strength training, P90X or Chalean Extreme. Group classes also offer a great way to incorporate strength, especially if you are new to it. There are trademarked classes like Les Mills Pump, or most gyms offer group classes by an instructor a couple times a week.

My weekly routine is something like:

Monday - Group Step Aerobics at the gym
    Tuesday - Run or Strength on my own or Rest
    Wednesday - Crossfit at different gym
    Thursday - I instruct a group strength and conditioning class
    Friday - Spin or strength on my own or rest
    Saturday - Crossfit on my own
    Sunday - Rest

A mixure of things is a good thing. Keeps you guessing and you use different muscles for everything you do. Even just changing up your cardio from running to spinning or kickboxing would made a difference.

Enjoy and have fun with it!!!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I cross train a LOT because I teach classes during the week. It has helped me quite a bit especially during times that I can not run do to injury I am not set back like I would be if I just stopped.

Here is an average week:
    Sunday- long run
    Monday - cycling and trx workout
    Tuesday- speed runs
    Wednesday- Strength and conditioning class ( full body workout with weights) and cycling
    Thursday - Cycling and TRX workout
    Friday- easy run
    Saturday DOR
  • fitnatic67
    Options
    I do circuit training 5 day a week because I'm limited on time in the mornings and hate working out in the evenings. I do a strength/cardio workout on MWF, and cardio only circuts on T/Th. My workouts are usually done for Time or Rounds. Meaning how many rounds I can do in a set time period or how much time it takes me to do a set number of rounds. feel free to add me if you want to know more.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: short run/weight train
    Wednesday: spin class
    Thursday: arc trainer/weight train
    Friday: spin class
    Saturday: Zumba/Zumba toning
    Sunday: long run

The only reason I don't run on Thursday is because I have been having trouble with my knee, so my trainer told me to do the arc trainer on that day because it simulates running without the impact of the road.

A lot of people would say to do the weight training on the days you DON'T run, but I do it on the same day because it fits in my schedule better, plus with Zumba toning, it allows me to do 3 days of weight training but still have a day in between so that my muscles have some time to recover.
  • funnyfitguy
    Options
    Honestly, you could do a lot worse than taking a class at a gym. Whether it's yoga, kickboxing, spin, step (if you can find it!), all of that is good for your body. Variety is key, not only because your body needs to use the muscles in different plains of motion, but group exercise can be fun... if you have the right instructor.

If not, here's an incomplete list of things I've done besides running (and yes, I've even taken those "girlie" kickboxing classes where I'm the only guy... :smile: )
    Stairmaster
    Elyptical
    Basketball
    Soccer
    Bootcamp
    Yoga
    Kickboxing
    HIIT
    Tabata
    Warrior Workout(flip tire, carry sandbag, etc.)
    Boxing
    Plyometrics
    MMA Fight
    TRX
    Kettlebell
    Jump Rope

As long as you're safe and the HR is getting into your "zone" you should be good to go! I hope this helps!
  • Maryanntalley
    Maryanntalley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do body pump wed and sat, weight training on mondays, cycling on tues and thursday.
  • kimeister
    Options
    I also like to be involved in lots of other activities.

cycling on a bike trainer alone in the mornings, and once a week as part of a group
    swimming
    yoga

Two activities I'm just starting to incorporate into my week:
    ice skating
    snowshoeing

I'm also going to cash in a groupon deal I bought into for rock climbing lessons. Depending on how that goes -and how expensive the sport is- I'll do this on occasion as well.

Crossfit is an amazing personal challenge and the center of my fitness world, but I love variety and learning new skills too much not to stray into other activities.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i do a variety, run twice a week, zumba once a week and circuits (via JM dvds). I found that circuit training helped to increase my speed and stamina. As long as you vary it like someone has already said you should be ok. plus exercise should be fun as well
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Run - twice a week - usually one 5k run and one 10-20k run
    Bike - on a trainer - 3 times a week or more for 60 minutes
    Swim - twice a week
    Weights - twice a week - one legs/abs session, one arms/shoulders/lats session
    Yoga - hot, once a week, sometimes twice (maybe a Yin class for 2nd)

In the summer, I ride outdoors and do 2 extra sessions of open water swimming per week

I don't always do the whole list and I always pick one day a week to do nothing or very little.

I'm into triathlons, so that's why the mix is what it is.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I lift weights every other day (S-T-Th-Sa-M-W-F)
    Sundays-Swim
    Mondays I do cycling and run a mile or two.
    Tuesday--Interval training--cardio+strength+bags (it's a class at my gym)
    Wednesday--CORE class, swim, HIIT
    Thursday--cycling, run
    Friday--swim

This is the basic idea. I listen to how my body feels and adjust accordingly. Sometimes I take different days off too. I am training for a triathlon.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The great running God Hal Higdon commands you to cross train on mondays. Its in all his programmes bar the advanced programmes.