Eating Clean

Options
I am trying to turn over a new leaf and eat "clean". I have been doing it for about a week now and I really feel the difference. I am not 100%, but doing better each day! I have always known to eat more fruits, more vegetables, whole grains, etc....just didn't ever follow my own advice! I was always eating under my calorie intake, but eating junk filled with sodium! I want to BE Healthier, not just EAT healthier. I am finding it very difficult somedays to eat cleaner and eat whole foods. For example, at lunch today, I hadn't planned ahead very well and didn't pack any protein for my salad. I went to the grocery store and the only protein I could find was tuna. I am new at this and am trying hard to do better. I am finding that I am more satisfied and my cravings for sweets are all but gone. What do you eat for snacks, lunch, etc? I need ideas so this can become more of my lifestyle rather than 1200 calories of salty crackers!

I am always looking for new friends too!!

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    What on Earth is wrong with tuna?!
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Options
    I like having baby carrots and hummus or cucumber and hummus as a low cal healthy stack, plus the veggies give me the crunch that I crave.
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Nothing, that is what I ate on my salad - but it would be nice to have chicken or something else that I could find at the grocery store. Deli meats are definetly out...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Nothing, that is what I ate on my salad - but it would be nice to have chicken or something else that I could find at the grocery store. Deli meats are definetly out...

curious as to what makes a food unclean? if you go by processing, both canned tuna and deli meats are processed
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Is tuna processed with nitrites though? Lunch meat is but I think tuna is preserved and packaged with salt.
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options

curious as to what makes a food unclean? if you go by processing, both canned tuna and deli meats are processed

I am trying to eat things that are not processed with stuff that I can't pronounce...Trying to eat real food with real ingredients...I don't know what the real definition of "clean" is, but this is what it means to me...
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    just my personal opinion....opt for organic meats, gotta plan ahead

I'd say organic everything (by what you're saying you're going for) starting with meat, eggs, dairy

My local grocery store carries a LOT of organic products EXCEPT cheese and meats. They do have organic canned chicken chunks. For meat I found a local organic health food store.

Personally, I do NOT eat strictly organic. There are some things I won't eat if they're non organic and its a preference thing. Other things I'm not too concerned with. When I go out to eat I find something vegetarian...yes, this even allows me the treat of nachos, light cheese, extra veggies, side of salsa

It's a slow process. Canned tuna didn't bother me till recently. And there is a difference between brands btw

Best of luck to you
  • jellyedge
    Options
    Look up Michi's Ladder - eat anything from tier 1 or 2. Treat yourself with things from tier 3 occasionally. Stay away from tiers 4 and 5.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try keeping some almonds in your purse/bag/desk drawer. Also, a pouch of tuna (much tastier and better) will keep in the same area. Eat on wasa crackers instead of salty ones.

Check out what places are around you for fast food - subway, for example, has an oven roasted chicken breast instead of deli meat.

Finally, I think the best move is planning ahead. Sit down on Sunday and write a complete menu for the week, then shop it. Put alerts on your phone so you take the meat out to thaw, pack before bed, etc....once you get into the habit it becomes easier.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Here we go. ;) I started a thread on clean eating that turned into a small debate at one point. For a health/fitness website you'd think more people woul d be on board with eating less processed foods, but oh well! I'm not perfect, but i don't eat fast food and try to make all meals from scratch. Probably the only fast food I eat occasionally is a breakfast sandwich from Starbucks.

You can check out my diary. I try to eat mostly whole foods. I do eat tuna, but in moderation because of the mercury.

Things I buy regularly:
    Stevia extract
    Whole wheat organic penne
    Almond butter
    Coconut milk/oil/butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Tuna
    Chicken, steak, pork
    lots of veggies
    fruits
    nuts
    protein powder (yes this is processed but i buy one that i feel the most comfortable with ingesting)
    dark chocolate
    eggs
    Rice milk
    Bacon (from Trader joe's, no nitrates, uncured)
    Ezekiel bread
    Raw milk cheeses
    Irish butter
    Salsa
    Organic milk/half and half
    Flaxseed
    Quaker old fashioned oatmeal

I really don't like cold cuts. I bought some the other day (ever roast chicken, boar's head) and it didn't taste as good as it once did to me. I'd rather make a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week and eat it for leftovers.

I try to eat organic, but I do buy conventional stuff too. I am firm on organic milk and eggs. I love buying grass fed meats too.