Scale HELP!!!!

I have 2 scales I have a digital really $$$ scale then I have a cheap analog scale they are about 3-4 lbs off, which do you think i should go by???

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    take them both to the doctor with you and measure them versus the triple beam scale.

6921816.png
  • nationalparklover
    nationalparklover Posts: 120 Member
    I'd go with the one that gives you the most accurate readout....ie...135.2 vs one that just says 135 and just stick with that one so that you are consistent.
  • Don26
    Don26 Posts: 46
    I would recommend the digital but I do not think it matters all that much. As long as you weigh on the same scale the loss (hopefully) should be the same even if the actual weight is inaccurate...does that make sense?
  • serenity06
    serenity06 Posts: 5 Member
    me personally i would use the cheap one, since i know how much its off. the new one might be off, but you might not know it. not unless you go get weighed and then come home and compare which scale was closest to the weigh in that you did on another scale.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    I have a digital scale and to see how accurate it was I weighed and then I weighed again with a 10lb dumbbell to see how much the dumbbell would add. Mine added 10lbs so it's pretty accurate. I think my scale cost about $30.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Go by either one, just use the same one every time. Personally, I'd go with the one that weighs less, but since you had to ask the question, I'm guessing the pricey scale is the higher weight? Maybe it's more accurate than the el cheapo...
  • chai_latte
    chai_latte Posts: 94 Member
    and maybe this is a *duh* point but thought I would throw it out there...

my digital scale has to be set on a tiled surface to give very accurate readings

on a carpet surface it's wayyyy off :) don't know if that helps
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Calibrate them both and you should see them give you the same reading. If your scale didn't come with calibration instructions, call the company to find out how to calibrate them. Even the professional ones at the doctors office isn't accurate if it isn't calibrated regularly.

One of the benefits of working in the fitness industry for 15 years is that I had to learn how to calibrate professional scales at the gym. I did it once a month because it would ease into being 2-3 pounds off if I didn't.
  • bestrodeo
    bestrodeo Posts: 139 Member
    Weigh something out, or put something on it that weighs 1lbs. If you have a food scale, weigh out 16oz of something and put it on the scale. Or some bags are like 1lbs, like "1lbs of sugar"

Honestly it doesn't matter what the scale says, it can be off 10lbs, as long as the number is going down, that's what matters.

That was the point in getting on my old one, my weight wasn't going down..

But I took some advice and used a dumb bell on them.. The old one is correct- the Digital is off by almost 5lbs.