Subway

Options
Subway can be a good, or very poor choice! What do you order there?

Replies

• theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Subway has A LOT of sodium! So whenever I go to Subway, I plan to have very low sodium for the rest of my meals.

Yesterday I had a cold cut combo on wheat bread w/ provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and mustard. It was delicious! 465 calories (but 1555 mg of sodium). I still managed to be about 700 mg under for sodium yesterday, so I managed to keep it under control.

Another good sandwich is the black forest ham on wheat bread. With the same cheese & veggies as listed above it's only 345 calories and 1200 mg of sodium! Which is pretty awesome in comparison.

Good luck!
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    veggie delite on flatbread with sp&oil - 300 cals :) and only 240 without oil
  • HAPage24
    HAPage24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Subway, which is one reason why my fiance and I decided to buy into the franchise. We are taking over the store starting in February!!!! You should stick to the sandwiches that are 6 grams of fat or less: Black Forest Ham, Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Roast Beef, Subway Club, Sween Onion Chicken Teriyaki, Turkey Breast, Turkey Breast and Black Forest Ham or the Veggie Delight. Choose either Baked Chips or Apples and your meal will be less than 500 calories. My favorite is the Roasted Chicken Breast on Flatbread. I opt for a strip of light mayo vs regular mayo for less calories.
  • likeaphoenix28
    Options
    I always order a tuna sub on wheat. It's easy and one of the only things I like there. I realize this has a ton of fat in it though, so I'm going to start making my own tuna sandwiches at home and bringing them to work. This will be cheaper too, because I eat out, like, everyday at work.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I hate subway! They are building one in my very overpriced gym and im pissed about it. That place is disgusting and it smells.

Oh and they built one in the lobby of a very good hospital in the area. Idiots!!!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    6 inch Veggie delite with oil and vinegar, no cheese...yummy!!
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When I have to eat there, veggie salad, loaded (no cheese).
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    I also get the cold cut! 6" on wheat.I add pepperoni, no cheese. Pickles, olives, lettuce, jalapenos and honey mustard!
    Subway has A LOT of sodium! So whenever I go to Subway, I plan to have very low sodium for the rest of my meals.

Yesterday I had a cold cut combo on wheat bread w/ provolone, lettuce, tomato, onion, green pepper, jalapeno peppers, black olives, and mustard. It was delicious! 465 calories (but 1555 mg of sodium). I still managed to be about 700 mg under for sodium yesterday, so I managed to keep it under control.

Another good sandwich is the black forest ham on wheat bread. With the same cheese & veggies as listed above it's only 345 calories and 1200 mg of sodium! Which is pretty awesome in comparison.

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    6" flatbread chicken breast, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, banana peppers, spinach, avocado, little bit of sweet onion sauce. Usually works out to be about 450 or so. I don't go often because the sodium is high, but if I eat out, the "healthiest" options are about the same for sodium - around 1,000. Lowest sodium I've found for fast food is Sonic's grilled chicken sandwich on wheat. 890mg or so.
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yest. had the Black Forest Ham, no cheese, with honey must. and all vegies on the honey oat (my favie). Only ate about 1/3 of it with 1/2 apple and a string cheese. Felt sooo full after, which made me feel so guilty :0( . Too much food, trying to be good. Any thoughts from anyone would be good.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Any sandwich can be turned into a salad to save bread calories or carbs. I get the Turkey/Ham with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, and cucumbers for 110 Calories. Be sure to add whatever dressing calories you choose. I get vinegar for 0 or FF Italian for 35.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I usually have a 6" chicken breast or club on wheat with provolone, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, olives, jalapenos, banana peppers (love the peppers!), pickles and salt/pepper/oregano, oil and vinegar. Sometimes I leave off the cheese or the oil. I never get a side, and I always get water. With cheese and oil its 420 cal.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same thing (and I eat there 2 to 3 times a week). Roasted chicken salad with cucumbers, tomatos, olives and avocado and use the sweet onion teriyaki sauce as a dressing. Very low calorie/low sodium/low carbs.

Or, if it gets to be incredibly late and I haven't had time for lunch at work yet, I get a turkey sandwich on white and have them rip the insides of the bread out (seriously, I'm a total carboholic and I don't even miss it) with various veggies and a little bit of mustard. And I add some apple slices.

I looooooooooooooove their bread but it takes me like 5 minutes to scarf their sandwiches down so I really prefer the salad. :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    99.9% of Subway is fairly unhealthy. Even their bread is loaded with sodium and questionable ingredients, let alone their processed meats. I eat there in a pinch but generally try and avoid it.
  • Cole721
    Options
    It ends up being healthy for people who binge on cakes, cookies, candy, ice cream, and other high fat content foods. For those who eat veggies and a pretty lean diet it may not seem so healthy.