1200 cals

Options
some one help me understand... whether we excerise or not we need to eat 1200 per day... so if no excerise then 1200 cals.. if i excerise and burn 200 cals that would bring me down to 1000 cals so i should eat those xtra 200 cals... is this correct?

Replies

• BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    correct!
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    yes ma'am! ;)
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1200 per day if no exercise. If exercise you need to add calories. If you burn 200 then your total for the day is 1400.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    It is not an obligation to eat them back if you had a healthy food day. This will just lower down your calories for that day. If you are hungry though you can eat them out and still loose weight.
  • marthack
    Options
    That's correct if you burn 200 calories then you have 200 calories more to eat.:tongue:
  • monica208
    monica208 Posts: 229
    Options
    thank you just wanted to make sure i understood
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Ok now I'm confused,lol. We start with 1200 calories. I exercise and use up say 400 calories. Then I should be eating 1600 calories??? Or am I still striving for 1200
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ok never mind, I get it. All thsoe other posts explaining it more were not on there when I went to type this.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It is always a minimum of 1200 calories per day ! It is the necessary requirement to fuel your body for basic function. When you exercise you burn more calories.....

For example...you do Tae Bo for 30 minutes and burn 375 calories.....then your daily goal would be 1200 + 375 = 1575calories....so that means you would eat 1200 calories minimum and then you have an addtional 375 calories that you can eat half or all as well....

Do not go less than 1200 calories cause your body will go into starvation mode and you will have lots of trouble to lose the lbs.... Hope this helps
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ok now I'm confused,lol. We start with 1200 calories. I exercise and use up say 400 calories. Then I should be eating 1600 calories??? Or am I still striving for 1200

You would eat 1600....when you exercise you need more fuel for your body.
  • aimon87
    aimon87 Posts: 19
    Options
    i really dont get it. if i eat 1200 a day then exercise and use 400 calories, what point is there eating that 400 again? might aswell have not worked out?
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I do...I almost always eat all my calories.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    They say you need to cut 3500 calories a week in order to lose a pound per week. That's 500 calories per day that you can choose to cut from your diet or burn off with exercise. For example, if you maintain a certain weight by eating 1700 calories per day, you need to either limit your calories to 1200, or burn 500 by exercising, (or some combination of the two) in order to lose that pound a week. Too few calories on a regular basis, though, and your body goes into conservation mode.

I have noticed a lot of my MFP friends (seems like mostly guys) who are NOT eating their calories everyday, sometimes not even coming close. They seem to be losing at a pretty good clip, but you gotta think that is going to catch up with them some day soon. How long can you deprive yourself before you either a.) binge -or- b.)your body says ENOUGH and starts to conserve fat ?
  • lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump to read later : )
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat back ALL my calories just because I worked out. I go off my macros, almost always I'm just above my protein. My carbs, and fats I'm right at or just under. I do make sure to get at least 1200, but as long as I follow my macros I do just fine.
  • weaverfit
    Options
    I'm having a hard time setting up my #'s on this site because my previous experience was to start with my BMR which should be 1380 cals per day (which took into consideration my weight loss goals and my then current exercise level). At 1380, I would be getting enough calories to keep me going strong, yet losing lbs - all I had to do was track my calories and not go over the BMR #.

I just used this website BMR calculator and got: Your estimated BMR is: 1,546 calories/day.

How do decide which one to use?

ETA: Looks like I've got it set up now, and I'm using the 1380 #, so I need a 550 calorie debt each day.