giving up sugar/junk food

Options
I know this seems like it should be obvious...but I know I am addicted to sugar and don't know how to give it up. I have the goal to give up sugar starting the first of the year ( I just can't resist the Christmas chocolates!). Does anyone have any suggestions: gum or no gum, artifical sweeteners versus just going without, fruit/minimal fruit/no fruit.

I don't drink sodas or juices. I drink a lot of water. I chew gum cuz my mouth is always dry so it helps, but it is sugar free gum. I am not a big doughnut/cake fan but I love brownies and cookies. My biggest hang up is chocolate. I L-O-V-E it. The darker the better. I just can't get enough of it.

I know the withdrawal from the sugar is going to be hard...but I really want this to work. I know this is the key to me losing weight. I would be ok on calories if I just didn't eat the junk food.

Any helpful tricks, suggestions, things you did to cope. Also, how to avoid eating when the temptation is there. I work in an office that has lots of junk food hanging around and it is very tempting. Also, I love to munch on things. I have tried nuts, dried fruit, etc but what I really like is chocolate. I know I am going to have to re-train my brain that I don't need the sugar but I wanted to let you know what I am thinking so I can get the best help.

thanks everyone!! I know there is so much knowledge out there that can be shared.

Replies

• Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First - real dark chocolate has very little sugar (my Lindt 85%, for example, has 5 g for 4 squares) so I suggest finding 1-2 kinds that you like that are low and then having 1-2 pieces per day of that. I find that giving myself a little something makes it easier than quitting cold turkey.

Second, some fruit has a TON of sugar - so if you want the sweet taste, freeze some raspberries, grapes, etc (or buy frozen) and eat those. As they are frozen, they will take longer to eat but are sweet and good for you. Plus, they are healthier than dried fruit and tons less calories (1 raspberry = 1 calorie!).

Third, for the office thing, just close your eyes, or give yourself one VERY SMALL portion - so small it's almost not worth it so maybe next time don't bother... And combat by bringing in your own treats for your desk - pre-measured fruit, nuts, veggies, etc...
  • aliciamille
    Options
    I love sweets too :( I have no advice LOL
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I don't drink sodas or juices. I drink a lot of water. I chew gum cuz my mouth is always dry so it helps, but it is sugar free gum.

Have you had your blood sugar tested lately?
  • danmoffett
    Options
    I gave up all sugars and sweet fruits 21 months ago. I've lost 145 pounds and kept it off.
    Along with giving up sugar you are also going to have to quit all sweeteners.
    You are going to have to give up all wheat products. Remember 2 slices of wholewheat bread has a higher gilcemic index than a snickers bar. The moment you eat the whole wheat it turns to sugar. It spikes your insulin and causes cravings.
    You will suffer withdraw symptoms for a short time but it will be worth it. You will be free from that crack sugar.
    After a while your taste will change, you will no longer like sweet tasting foods or drink.
    You will lose weight and feel great.
    A few things to help you. Watch the YouTube video by Dr. Robert Lustig called "Sugar The Bitter Truth", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Read the book by Dr. William Davis called "Wheat Belly", you can read the first chapter on Amazon.com
    Read the book by Gary Taubes called "Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It", available on Amazon.com

I do enjoy the occasional DARK chocolate. 85% is sufficiently bitter to allow me to handle the little sugar in it. A 3.5 oz. bar will last me a month.

Think of all the money you are gong to save.
    I wish you success.

Dan
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prplangl4
    prplangl4 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I recommend a sugar free gum by extra...mint chocolate chip flavored...I love chocolate, and mint chocolate chip is my fav ice cream (and we KNOW how much sugar AND calories is in ice cream sundaes, shakes, etc.) so I chew on that when I'm craving and it helps!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason why you should give it up completely... Dark chocolate actually has health benefits (antioxidants and whatnot). Sometimes I'll buy a bar and eat a square or two every few days. You can also make homemade versions of things that are much healthier. I discovered brownies made from black beans instead of flour, made with dark chocolate and I add just a little bit of honey to it... delicious, and much better than boxed alternatives. Someone else pointed out that fruit works to satisfy some people's sweet cravings, as it has lots of natural sugar in it (though even fruit sugar should be consumed in moderation!)

Planning is the key - plan alternatives to some of your unhealthier indulgences, and make sure you allow yourself to eat some planned treats to keep from feeling deprived.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is just DON'T :) If you're anything like me, the second you break down, it's hard to stop. So I just think "Do I really want that THAT much?" Once you hit a point in your weight loss that you can afford to mow down on a few extra calories, it's not so bad. But to just stop it completely is hard at first. Every time you want to eat something unhealthy, get a drink of water.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that processed sugar is addictive - I know it is for my body. Like, really, genuinely addictive. It doesn't work for me to have just a little of something very often, so I prefer to cut it all out. I chew gum, drink tea, drink carbonated water with lemon, eat fruit leather and lots of fruit. Eating whole foods like whole grains, greens, fats, etc are the trick for me. I need them to feel satisfied, diet food and artificial sugars just don't do it for me. Oh, and the other thing is raw honey! I eat raw honey almost every day and probably 1-5 pieces of fruit per day. Of course I am not a perfect person, so I still eat sweets sometimes, and that's really okay. I think if you do you shouldn't shame yourself for it, then it will have a bad effect on your mind too. Treat yourself well, take the time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Whole wheat and multi-grain breads are very healthy. Bread is the staff of life although, of course, you cannot live on bread alone.

White bread is absolute junk and contains a lot more added sugar than whole wheat and multi-grain breads. White bread is highly processed and contains fewer nutrients than whole wheat and multi-grain breads.

White bread has a very high GI value and needs to be avoided by diabetics. The GI value of whole wheat and multi-grain breads is much lower and they are OK for diabetics.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sugars and sweet fruits 21 months ago. I've lost 145 pounds and kept it off.
    Along with giving up sugar you are also going to have to quit all sweeteners.
    You are going to have to give up all wheat products. Remember 2 slices of wholewheat bread has a higher gilcemic index than a snickers bar.

I think it's fantastic that this has worked for you, but not everyone has to go to such an extreme. i think we all recognize the value in minimizing added sugars and eating things in moderation - wheat and fruit included, but you might want to be careful using such strong language. The OP in no way "HAS" to give up (or "quit all") sugar/sweetners or wheat. Some people have to for health reasons, and other people choose to for personal reasons - but it is in no way a necessity for healthy living for everyone across the board.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I won't give up sugar completely, that might work for some people but it's not the life I want to or need to live. I normally have 80% as-healthy-as-possible healthy calories and 20% discretionary calories. This allows me to have a sweet treat every day that I look forward to very much, and keeps me from feeling deprived.

As long as I'm getting enough nutrients my body needs each day then calories are just energy to me. It's not everyone's bag, and some people can't stop with one sweet treat. But for me, if any food is absolutely forbidden then that's the thing I'm gonna want the most.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You could move into it gradually... Start with two days a week (like Tuesday and Thursday) when you absolutely will not eat anything sugary. It's easier to not eat it when you know that the next day you can have a little bit of chocolate. Do that for a couple weeks and then add another day and another until you don't even feel like you need it at all any more. I had my friend, who thought she couldn't live without sugar, do this and she totally kicked the habit. Sugar free puddings and Jellos are also delicious!
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was in your exact same position not too long ago. However, I knew that simply substituting other foods/behaviors for the sugar I loved and craved wasn't really solving the problem. After some research, I knew that spiking and then crashing insulin was resulting in my starch and sugar cravings, and that was the underlying issue that I needed to get under control. I decided to switch to eating 40-30-30 (40% of my calories from carbs [ideally produce as opposed to grain products], 30% from lean protein, and 30% from healthy fats). I kid you not--my sugar cravings went away from Day 1! When my insulin is nice and level at every meal and snack, I don't feel the need for sugar. I still have some from time to time, but I have to be careful not to overdo it. If I have too much, I get into this terrible downward sugar spiral, and then I completely binge on it.

There's tons of info out there on 40-30-30 eating. A great place to start is the book The Formula by a couple with the last name Daoust. They helped Dr. Sears formulate his Zone Diet meals. The book explains how and why 40-30-30 works, and it has over 200 recipes to get you going. Many are kid-friendly, too, if you have kids at home.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    If you really enjoy sweets/sugars/"junk" food (I hate that word) then just incorporate them into your daily goals. In the summer while dieting I was eating half a carton of ice NIGHTLY and losing weight while doing so. Sugar is irrelevant in regard to weight loss not to mention we all eat more sugar than we think considering all carbs are sugar. So just make them fit and stop limiting yourself besides it makes dieting a hell of a lot more fun.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that processed sugar is addictive - I know it is for my body. Like, really, genuinely addictive. It doesn't work for me to have just a little of something very often, so I prefer to cut it all out. I chew gum, drink tea, drink carbonated water with lemon, eat fruit leather and lots of fruit. Eating whole foods like whole grains, greens, fats, etc are the trick for me. I need them to feel satisfied, diet food and artificial sugars just don't do it for me. Oh, and the other thing is raw honey! I eat raw honey almost every day and probably 1-5 pieces of fruit per day. Of course I am not a perfect person, so I still eat sweets sometimes, and that's really okay. I think if you do you shouldn't shame yourself for it, then it will have a bad effect on your mind too. Treat yourself well, take the time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

I am similiar. I had some sweets over the holidays and it was hard to stop myself so i threw it all out. For me going cold turkey works and I use stevia extract in my coffee.

If i do want something sweet I try to do a single portion container, not a giant tub of ice cream or cookies, etc. I keep dark chocolate covered almonds as well as really dark chocolate bars in the house (I like green and black and the endangered species chocolate 70%+). Also whole foods sells dark chocolate chunks in the baking aisle, also yummy which sometimes i'll throw into yogurt (greek).

I avoid splenda and other artificial sweeteners because it makes me want more sugar and junk. You just have to find what works for you. Fruits don't effect me the way processed sugar does. I also avoid things with HFCS. I do try to eat lower sugar fruits like berries.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Remember 2 slices of wholewheat bread has a higher gilcemic index than a snickers bar. The moment you eat the whole wheat it turns to sugar. It spikes your insulin and causes cravings.

Where is this info? I'm generally interested in how this works?

I would cut back little by little if you want to make a change for good. Fruit is a great replacement. I like frozen berries because you have to eat them slowly and can savor them. If you don't want fruit, you aren't craving sugar. Tea also helps me, flavored tea without sweetener.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to food. I can admit that now. I would eat when I wasn't even hungry.
    When it came to junk foods, it was even worse. I would drink coke like water (literally.....not proud of that) and would eat chocolate daily as an after meal treat.... after every single meal in the day (again, not proud of that).

I cut it off completely three months ago when I joined this site. I have a few tips that have helped me:

- Make a mock entry in your diary (obviously delete it afterwards). Enter all the meals, treats, junk foods that you can recall on one of your WORST DAYS. This was important to me because even though I knew junk food was bad for me, I didn't EXACTLY know why. When you put together a mock entry of your WORST DAY, you get a clear idea of what it is you're trying to avoid.
    (For me, I entered in a day where I had 1 x Pizza Hut pizza, 1 x Cadbury Chocolate Bar, 1.5 litres of coke among many other foods.... the tally was up to 5000 calories and no I am NOT joking... it woke me up. I haven't looked back.
    - Log everything (EVERYTHING) that you eat, down to the last grape and drop of milk. Tally up your calories and see for yourself how easy it is to reach your calorie limit daily without eating junk food.
    - Eat when you're hungry, not when you feel like it. When you don't know, eat a small portion (normally 1/4 to 1/2 of a standard meal you'd have) and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry after, finish off the meal. Wait another 20 minutes. This allows your brain to register that you are full.
    - Drink water, water, and more WATER! Get that 8 glasses of water down your hole a day, or as close as you can. It teaches you the difference between thirst and hunger (my ability to know the difference was so weak, I'd confuse them...)

Look, I came around from a very, very, VERY destructive eating habit. I now only have a handful of licorice (high in energy, low in calories) or a Ski Lite yoghurt to settle the stomach. I cook my own meals so I know what I'm eating (steaks, fish, chicken, etc.).

Finally, whenever you have a sudden urge to eat bad foods in an unreasonable way (for example; a couple of squares of dark chocolate is actually good for you), and if you find yourself trying to JUSTIFY eating the food, remember this saying:

"Don't let a moment of weakness turn into a moment of regret"

Sorry for writing so much but I feel very strongly about this. It is not a stupid question and believe me when I say if I can turn that around, so can you.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think for someone who is "addicted" to sugar, it's good to give it a try for 30 days to live without it. I've done it, and I find my cravings really do subside after the first week or two.

Those first two weeks will be tough though. Like someone already mentioned, if you are truly going to give up sugar, you will be giving up bread and wheat products, and basically anything packaged. Sugar hides in EVERYTHING - cereals (Kashi disguises it as maltodextrin, honey, evaporated cane juice, etc etc...), breads, crackers, even the ones that say "all natural" and all that crap.

Anyway, I'd encourage you to at least give it a try. If you were really going to go all-out, you'd eliminate artificial sweeteners as well. (so that ousts any "sugar-free" products, because they just substitute with a sweetener and some other garbage). The only thing I kept when I when cold-turkey on sugar, is sugar-free gum. I am a gum addict and don't think it makes too much of a nutritional difference.

Good luck! Again, try it out for 30 days and see how you feel. If you don't like it, then, oh well. (and like some others have said, dark chocolate is very low sugar, as are fruits like berries, etc. So you can fall back on those when you have a craving!)