PCOS: Celebrating a Victory!!

Options

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    woo hooo that is so awesome. women who dont have PCOS have no idea that having a period is a blessing not a curse since they can lead to children...that is awesom!

Not all of us want children. My doctor asked me if I wanted to do an ultrasound on my ovaries to see if I had PCOS, since I hadn't had a period in a couple months. I said that since infertility is actually the goal (I'm planning on getting an IUD soon) I don't think whatever is going on with me is a hindrance in any way. I just wanted to make sure my hormones are good, since I'm being treated for hypothyroidism.
  • morethanlilies
    Options
    Way to go! This happened for me too! I lost about 30 lbs and before I knew it, it was coming back every month on the dot. I didn't think it was possible. Congrats to you!
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What did you do to lose the weight and manage the symptoms. I'm not taking Metformin, but I've tried to eat lower carb. I've lost some weight, but any pointers/guidelines would be nice.

I am currently not taking any medication like Metformin. So far my weight loss is due to limiting caloric intake of 1200 calories and exercising. I started off by eating my exercise calories than I slowly cut down to eating them. Now, if I am hungry I still eat some of them, but not all of them. Watch your hunger, eat when you are hungry. Drink water in between. Choose fruits/veggies over carbs/sugar (I have not had to limit my carbs thus far). Eat small meals throughout the day...it has helped me not to binge eat later on when I am extremely hungry! Most of all, don't give up, keep going...celebrate your small victories!

Thank you! I try to "count carbs" but unfortunately my schedule is so sporadic it is hard to do. Lucky for me, since I generally chose to eat things lower in sugar I don't have too terrible of cravings. I love my veggies :). It's good to hear that you have had success. I've lost a pretty good bit in the past month, but I was just trying to make sure I was doing it right. I was pretty angry when I found out I had PCOS, because years ago a doctor could have easily diagnosed it. The reason for the visit was because I hadn't had a period in 6 months, I was continually gaining weight, and I had to stop taking my birth control (ortho tri) because it made me feel crazy. Then, he did an ultrasound to verify that I wasn't pregnant, and says "oh, you have a lot of cysts." Despite all of that, he never even mentioned PCOS, and put me back on ortho tri cylen (which I eventually stopped taking bc I couldn't handle it). Anyways, years and about 60 pounds later I finally have some answers.
  • cshine06
    cshine06 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Amazing victory!!!
  • SLT01
    SLT01 Posts: 58
    Options
    I too am on that boat and all I can say is Congratulations!! I hope one day I will be celebrating "normal" cycles! But until then, you keep it up, doing an outstanding job!
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    Options
    congrats!!!! way to go. i'm celebrating with you sweetie.

13651868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! So happy for all of you :)

I have IR, on Metformin for last 2 months (1500mg). It didn't help me lose any weight (though I lost 8lbs by restricting carbs along with strength training) but my facial hair has almost disappeared. Before starting Metformin, I was using Soprano laser and was having facial hair growth after 4-5 days of laser. Now its been 1.5 months that I did the laser, the growth is almost minimal. Also my BP is now 130/90ish, before it was 170/130ish. Extremtly happy with the results. :smile:

Can't wait to shed the extra weight and get my quality of life back.

Good luck everyone!:flowerforyou:
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully I can do the same I have PCOS as well. When it happens I may throw a party lol!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I can't wait to be there!! It's been 9 months for me I wish women would stop giving out about getting their period and realise how lucky they are!!
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! THIS IS something big to celebrate!!!! I cant wait for this to happen to me =) thanks for sharing.. there is definitely hope.
  • edisonswifey
    edisonswifey Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Great victory thanks for sharing! =)
  • BreakThruComing
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! What an awesome accomplishment! I was just diagnosed yesterday with PCOS. I've tried several times before to lose weight and have been successful, but then I always gain back the weight plus some :grumble: I am happy to finally have an answer to the strange symptoms I have been having. The doc decided not to put me on any meds right now, just to monitor my diet and get in lots of exercise. Luckily I had started this journey a few months back, already fallen off the wagon, but i'm back on again and ready to take this bull by the horns! I am a little discouraged that I'm gonna have to work harder (as if exercising and watching calories isn't already hard enough :huh: )! It's stories like your's that give me hope! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • barbied123
    barbied123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That gives me more hope then you could ever imagine.
  • marphydoll
    marphydoll Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and am so glad you posted about your victory! Congrats! I have had 2 months in a row w/ normal periods and it does feel great!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    congrats to you, I went nine months without my period and as soon as I started losing weight, BAM! regular (ugh!) lol I avoid the doctor, I'm sure they will find something wrong with me, and I don't like nor will I take medicine, so I refuse to go
  • mrogus
    mrogus Posts: 94
    Options
    Congrats!! I lost 20 lbs and got mine on my own and celebrated as well. In July I was diagnosed with pcos and my periods were still irregular but coming on thier own. After losing 25 more lbs, I have been getting them on my own pretty regularly the past 5 months!!!!

Keep up the good work!!
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I have PCOS and haven't seen a natural period in years. I look forward to that day!! Congrats!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Battling PCOS is hard, but today is a day for victory for me. After a total loss of 28 pounds, it seems my hormones are evening out and balancing. For the first time after several months I got my first natural period...yes I am celebrating my period...don't get them regularly!!

For those ladies with this syndrome, you can do this!! Keep going, losing the weight has so many rewards in so many different ways!

That is awesome! I feel for you very much because 2 years ago I was diagnosed PCOS & was at my highest weight then of 75 kilos or 165 lbs. But now I surpassed my goal weight & although I still don't get regular periods but if ever I have, it only lasts for 3 days w/o any menstrual cramps & also I'm not bleeding now, unlike before wherein it took me more than a month & was really painful
  • amanda_lessofme
    amanda_lessofme Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yipee Skippy!! That is a real reason to celebrate!!!

And, I'm right there with you. I've been struggling with PCOS since I was 16 (I'm now 33). I just got my second natural period in a row (25 day cycle)--OH MY WORD I was ecstatic!! I'd not had a period on my own in about 6 years. It is just a wonderful feeling.
  • amanda_lessofme
    amanda_lessofme Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    woo hooo that is so awesome. women who dont have PCOS have no idea that having a period is a blessing not a curse since they can lead to children...that is awesom!

Not all of us want children. My doctor asked me if I wanted to do an ultrasound on my ovaries to see if I had PCOS, since I hadn't had a period in a couple months. I said that since infertility is actually the goal (I'm planning on getting an IUD soon) I don't think whatever is going on with me is a hindrance in any way. I just wanted to make sure my hormones are good, since I'm being treated for hypothyroidism.

PCOS is more than just infertility. Even if I wasn't trying to conceive, I'd want to know if I had PCOS or not because it can reek havoc on your health. Of course, you don't have to know if you have cysts on your ovaries or not--and, in fact--some women with PCOS don't. However, finding out about PCOS is a good thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!