Are you happy now at your goal weight?

Options
I set my goal weight awhile back and I have worked very hard (diet, exercise, and psychological) to get here. Now that I am within 1 lb of that weight, I want to set a new goal weight (of an additional 10 lbs) — mainly because I am still not 'mirror-happy' and feel that I could benefit from at least an additional 10 lbs.

Question: For those who have achieved and maintained their goal weight, do you feel happy there? Or do you want to (did you) set a new goal weight...?

When does 'losing' become obsessive (not there yet, but just asking).

Replies

• ish4krys
    ish4krys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen to me. Several years ago I was 200 lbs and lost about 40, never quite getting to my goal weight of 155 (I'm 5'8"). Now, years later, I'm back on track and now weigh lower than my original goal weight. But....now have a new goal weight of 139. It does make me wonder if I'll ever be satisfied and I'm interested to know what people think.
  • CharNordie
    CharNordie Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've kind of had the opposite experience-- I set my goal weight for 135 but when I got right around 140-145ish I was pretty happy with how I looked so I've just been maintaining there for awhile. I may go ahead and try to get down to 135 soon but it's nice not to be worried so much about the number on the scale.
  • wijac10
    Options
    I am very happy at my goal weight, have been there about 3 months :)
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    That's where I want to be again. Not worrying about numbers on the scale and really looking more at how I feel and look (in and out of clothes)—not a slouch now, but could stand to get rid of those extra 10 ... but just wondering if I'll be happy there and will I want to continue down lower...?

I do not want to have an unhealthy obsession with 'losing' but I do want to achieve my goals.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    Yeah, and wondering if I will ever be at my post-college weight (not really trying), but do want to be lower than where I am now.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement. Awesome.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I got to my goal weight of 187 about three weeks ago and of course I am pleased about that. I thought it would be great to drop another 7 pounds, but with the holidays.... Anyway I'm still logging, eating under my maintenance cals and exercising, although maybe my activity level could be higher. My weight doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Congrats on your success.
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight and have stayed around it for about 3 months now. I have found myself wanting to be down just a few more lbs. I just have a number I want to see on the scale, not because I will really notice it in my clothes. I do find myself making new goals. For example, instead of weight loss, running goals. Something to keep me motivated because I never want to go back to that unhappy place!
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Im three pounds away from my goal weight but my initial goal was 130 then 125 and now 120, but i weight 123 and I know 3 pounds won't make a significant difference so Im considering changing it to 115 mind you Im 5' shorty here but i think it's a mental thing for me since i still feel over weight and I imagined myself looking and feeling a bit different at this weight, so i hope to not get obsessive also. I have been weight training so I'm hoping that I can lose a pant size vs losing weight and wearing the same size Im just fixated on that damn evil scale which I have a love.hate relationship with!! Thinking of tossing it out for 2012!!
  • The_Finja
    The_Finja Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm "lucky" as i haven't been at my current weight in my adult life. By this I mean that I didn't have a goal weight at the begining. Some of my friends are working to be a weight that they were when they were when they were younger, but the reality is that they are not who they were then now. If you have reached your current goal weight, why not try it out for a while and see if it works for you, if not then go for the extra 10 lbs. That's what I did.
  • cozylove
    cozylove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WoW...That is soooo weird that I just saw your Post. I have my inital goal to lose about 40lbs... From 180 to 140...but I almost changed my goal on here to 130. I think once I hit 140 I'll probably be excited and settled with that for about a week or so then I'll go in for the homerun of 130lbs.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I still have 25-30 lbs to go and I know that will make a huge difference, but I am worried about this to, having lost over 100 lbs, my body shape is still the same but smaller. I still have 2 poaches and one looks like it has way more than 30 lbs attached to it :( I guess I'll see in 30 lbs, but I'm attempting to start toaning, but seeing no difference yet and it's been a month+.. not a bit of a difference at all.
  • houstonmacbro
    Options
    I'm "lucky" as i haven't been at my current weight in my adult life. By this I mean that I didn't have a goal weight at the begining. Some of my friends are working to be a weight that they were when they were when they were younger, but the reality is that they are not who they were then now. If you have reached your current goal weight, why not try it out for a while and see if it works for you, if not then go for the extra 10 lbs. That's what I did.

Good advice. Thanks!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I actually flew past my initial goal weight (which was just a healthy BMI). Went to see my doc to get his recommendation about where I should be, and his reply was to learn to be happy with the body I have. I've lost a couple more pounds since then, but realized I am getting a bit silly about the whole thing. My real goal is to function in a healthy manner. I want to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise ... not obsessive about either one. I want to have this weight loss be sustainable, meaning I neither want to have to weigh my food for the rest of my life just so I don't gain a half pound, nor do I want to spend 6 days a week in the gym in order to lose half a pound. So, I'm going to take some time with maintenance at my current healthy weight and learn to be content. You will always find something that can be improved!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've almost reached my goal weight, and I still have more work to do. Not to lose more weight, but to build muscle and get in better shape. I have no desire to look skinny. I've been skinny. It's not a good look. I just want to be in shape and lose the belly pooch, and that's not going to happen just by lowering my goal weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!